Re: Mobile Antenna Want Question

  • Bryan Johns
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2011
      Hehehe... the last thing I worry about is how an antenna looks.  The only reason I haven't drilled my roof is it's a real pain to remove the head liner for running the coax.  Plus, it's much harder to lay the antenna down when entering a parking garage.  So I just use  big enough magnet to hold the biggest dual 2m/70cm antenna I could find at highway speed.  For the tracker I use a single band 2m antenna, but it's a 5/8 wave so it exhibits some gain.

      I'd use one of those motorized rack mount deals if I knew it would work with the rack-mount on my 2005 Chevy Trailblazer.  I'm afraid to order one only to find out it wont work on my truck.
      --
      Bryan Johns
      K4GDW

      "If you dance with the devil, the devil don't change.  The devil changes you."

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2011
        I bought a manual antenna flipper years ago for an SUV.  The one for the SUV fits a wider rack cross bar.  Later, my in-laws bought me the motorized mount, but it came with the clamps that only fit the narrower crossbars.  I was able to cannibalize one to make it fit.  Can't recommend that option.  But I can tell you that the bracket that grabs the roof crossbar forms a shelf that the plastic motorized housing bolts to.  I wouldn't be too terribly hard to mod the bracket or fab one of your own to make it work.  As far as I know, they don't sell the motorized mount with the wide crossbar clamps.  So it's down to how much effort you want to put into it.

        Also before adjusting the travel of the antenna when it swings up /down, read the directions first.

        Wes
        ---
        "Language shapes the way we think, and determines what we can think about." -- B. L. Whorf