Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: T2-301 serial port connection and otwincfg

Expand Messages
  • pb648174
    I wouldn t transmit without an antenna and would also try it with 12V. If you have the yellow/black cable then you should be able to hook it right up to the
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2011
    • 0 Attachment
      I wouldn't transmit without an antenna and would also try it with 12V. If you have the yellow/black cable then you should be able to hook it right up to the computer and send it commands via a terminal program and see responses.

      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "seerdman" <seerdman@...> wrote:
      >
      > Hello,
      >
      > I have a new T2-301 and am trying to get it configured. I've gone through the troubleshooting FAQ and this forum, and am trying to figure out what I've missed. Here's what I've tried so far:
      >
      > - Confirmed that COM1 is the correct port by connecting my Garmin GPS to it and running my Topo software that allows me to select a COM port. The Garmin successfully sends coordinates to the PC.
      >
      > - Using the latest release of otwincfg
      >
      > - tried wiring pins 2 and 3 of the T2-301 to pins 3 and 2 of the PC (per the FAQ), and also pins 2 and 3 of the T2-301 straight to pins 2 and 3 of the PC (per June 2010 schematic posted on the forum). Ground is running to pin 4 on the T2-301 and pin 5 on the PC. Nothing else is connected.
      >
      > - I'm using the Argent serial power cable for the T2-301 with the yellow connector on one end, and the black connector on the other. Yellow connector is connected to the T2-301. Then using a null modem adaptor that provides the connections described above. It is about 4 feet long, but I've continuity tested the connections from end to end.
      >
      > - I'm using a 9V DC supply (AC wall adapter) rated for 600ma output, and it's measuring at 10.3V while connected.
      >
      > - I have a steady red power light while power is connected, with occasional flashes of the green light indicating reception
      >
      > - I've tried disabling turbo mode
      >
      > - I've tried starting otwincfg both with the unit already on and with the unit off to start
      >
      > - I've tried with the antenna both connected or disconnected
      >
      > - Tried resetting the unit multiple times (removing and reconnecting power). If I do this multiple times very quickly I'll get a communication error message.
      >
      > Any other troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
      >
    • seerdman
      Thanks for the reply! I ve bumped the power supply up to a solid 15V and am still having the same result. I m leaning now towards a problem with my null
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 2, 2011
      • 0 Attachment
        Thanks for the reply! I've bumped the power supply up to a solid 15V and am still having the same result. I'm leaning now towards a problem with my null modem cable. I notice that in the Files section of this forum there are diagrams for a 3-wire null modem lead and a 5-wire null modem lead. Should I be using one over the other? If anyone has a full-blown schematic that shows the entire connection path between the T2-301 and a PC serial port and includes the yellow-to-black Argent serial connector, as well as the null modem wiring, that would really rock my world. :o)

        - Steve

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "pb648174" <yahoo@...> wrote:
        >
        > I wouldn't transmit without an antenna and would also try it with 12V. If you have the yellow/black cable then you should be able to hook it right up to the computer and send it commands via a terminal program and see responses.
        >
        > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "seerdman" <seerdman@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > I have a new T2-301 and am trying to get it configured. I've gone through the troubleshooting FAQ and this forum, and am trying to figure out what I've missed. Here's what I've tried so far:
        > >
        > > - Confirmed that COM1 is the correct port by connecting my Garmin GPS to it and running my Topo software that allows me to select a COM port. The Garmin successfully sends coordinates to the PC.
        > >
        > > - Using the latest release of otwincfg
        > >
        > > - tried wiring pins 2 and 3 of the T2-301 to pins 3 and 2 of the PC (per the FAQ), and also pins 2 and 3 of the T2-301 straight to pins 2 and 3 of the PC (per June 2010 schematic posted on the forum). Ground is running to pin 4 on the T2-301 and pin 5 on the PC. Nothing else is connected.
        > >
        > > - I'm using the Argent serial power cable for the T2-301 with the yellow connector on one end, and the black connector on the other. Yellow connector is connected to the T2-301. Then using a null modem adaptor that provides the connections described above. It is about 4 feet long, but I've continuity tested the connections from end to end.
        > >
        > > - I'm using a 9V DC supply (AC wall adapter) rated for 600ma output, and it's measuring at 10.3V while connected.
        > >
        > > - I have a steady red power light while power is connected, with occasional flashes of the green light indicating reception
        > >
        > > - I've tried disabling turbo mode
        > >
        > > - I've tried starting otwincfg both with the unit already on and with the unit off to start
        > >
        > > - I've tried with the antenna both connected or disconnected
        > >
        > > - Tried resetting the unit multiple times (removing and reconnecting power). If I do this multiple times very quickly I'll get a communication error message.
        > >
        > > Any other troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
        > >
        >
      • Scott Miller
        3 wires is all you need. If you re using the yellow/black cable, the yellow end goes to the radio and the black end goes to a null modem cable, or regular
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 2, 2011
        • 0 Attachment
          3 wires is all you need.

          If you're using the yellow/black cable, the yellow end goes to the radio
          and the black end goes to a null modem cable, or regular serial cable
          and null adapter. It was done that way to maintain compatibility with
          the OT2m and older trackers.

          Scott

          On 3/2/2011 9:16 PM, seerdman wrote:
          > Thanks for the reply! I've bumped the power supply up to a solid 15V and
          > am still having the same result. I'm leaning now towards a problem with
          > my null modem cable. I notice that in the Files section of this forum
          > there are diagrams for a 3-wire null modem lead and a 5-wire null modem
          > lead. Should I be using one over the other? If anyone has a full-blown
          > schematic that shows the entire connection path between the T2-301 and a
          > PC serial port and includes the yellow-to-black Argent serial connector,
          > as well as the null modem wiring, that would really rock my world. :o)
          >
          > - Steve
          >
          > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > "pb648174" <yahoo@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I wouldn't transmit without an antenna and would also try it with
          > 12V. If you have the yellow/black cable then you should be able to hook
          > it right up to the computer and send it commands via a terminal program
          > and see responses.
          > >
          > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > "seerdman" <seerdman@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hello,
          > > >
          > > > I have a new T2-301 and am trying to get it configured. I've gone
          > through the troubleshooting FAQ and this forum, and am trying to figure
          > out what I've missed. Here's what I've tried so far:
          > > >
          > > > - Confirmed that COM1 is the correct port by connecting my Garmin
          > GPS to it and running my Topo software that allows me to select a COM
          > port. The Garmin successfully sends coordinates to the PC.
          > > >
          > > > - Using the latest release of otwincfg
          > > >
          > > > - tried wiring pins 2 and 3 of the T2-301 to pins 3 and 2 of the PC
          > (per the FAQ), and also pins 2 and 3 of the T2-301 straight to pins 2
          > and 3 of the PC (per June 2010 schematic posted on the forum). Ground is
          > running to pin 4 on the T2-301 and pin 5 on the PC. Nothing else is
          > connected.
          > > >
          > > > - I'm using the Argent serial power cable for the T2-301 with the
          > yellow connector on one end, and the black connector on the other.
          > Yellow connector is connected to the T2-301. Then using a null modem
          > adaptor that provides the connections described above. It is about 4
          > feet long, but I've continuity tested the connections from end to end.
          > > >
          > > > - I'm using a 9V DC supply (AC wall adapter) rated for 600ma
          > output, and it's measuring at 10.3V while connected.
          > > >
          > > > - I have a steady red power light while power is connected, with
          > occasional flashes of the green light indicating reception
          > > >
          > > > - I've tried disabling turbo mode
          > > >
          > > > - I've tried starting otwincfg both with the unit already on and
          > with the unit off to start
          > > >
          > > > - I've tried with the antenna both connected or disconnected
          > > >
          > > > - Tried resetting the unit multiple times (removing and
          > reconnecting power). If I do this multiple times very quickly I'll get a
          > communication error message.
          > > >
          > > > Any other troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
          > > >
          > >
          >
          >
        • Scott Miller
          I ve been busy with firmware development this week and I m slipping behind on emails. Did you get this figured out or are you still having trouble? Scott
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 5, 2011
          • 0 Attachment
            I've been busy with firmware development this week and I'm slipping
            behind on emails. Did you get this figured out or are you still having
            trouble?

            Scott

            On 2/28/2011 10:16 PM, seerdman wrote:
            > Hello,
            >
            > I have a new T2-301 and am trying to get it configured. I've gone
            > through the troubleshooting FAQ and this forum, and am trying to figure
            > out what I've missed. Here's what I've tried so far:
            >
            > - Confirmed that COM1 is the correct port by connecting my Garmin GPS to
            > it and running my Topo software that allows me to select a COM port. The
            > Garmin successfully sends coordinates to the PC.
            >
            > - Using the latest release of otwincfg
            >
            > - tried wiring pins 2 and 3 of the T2-301 to pins 3 and 2 of the PC (per
            > the FAQ), and also pins 2 and 3 of the T2-301 straight to pins 2 and 3
            > of the PC (per June 2010 schematic posted on the forum). Ground is
            > running to pin 4 on the T2-301 and pin 5 on the PC. Nothing else is
            > connected.
            >
            > - I'm using the Argent serial power cable for the T2-301 with the yellow
            > connector on one end, and the black connector on the other. Yellow
            > connector is connected to the T2-301. Then using a null modem adaptor
            > that provides the connections described above. It is about 4 feet long,
            > but I've continuity tested the connections from end to end.
            >
            > - I'm using a 9V DC supply (AC wall adapter) rated for 600ma output, and
            > it's measuring at 10.3V while connected.
            >
            > - I have a steady red power light while power is connected, with
            > occasional flashes of the green light indicating reception
            >
            > - I've tried disabling turbo mode
            >
            > - I've tried starting otwincfg both with the unit already on and with
            > the unit off to start
            >
            > - I've tried with the antenna both connected or disconnected
            >
            > - Tried resetting the unit multiple times (removing and reconnecting
            > power). If I do this multiple times very quickly I'll get a
            > communication error message.
            >
            > Any other troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
            >
            >
          • seerdman
            Ah Scott - you are the best! No, haven t figured this out yet, but I m sure it s from just being a newbie to all this and skipping some detail. I was trying
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 5, 2011
            • 0 Attachment
              Ah Scott - you are the best!

              No, haven't figured this out yet, but I'm sure it's from just being a newbie to all this and skipping some detail. I was trying to save myself a few lousy bucks and make my own null modem adapter and wondering whether I should use 3-pin or 5-pin null modem wiring, but I decided instead to just start with the basics and order an adapter (whatever configuration it is) to rule out any wiring missteps (hard luck finding one in Seattle). If that doesn't work when I get it in the next few days I'll reach out again.

              Thanks much!

              - Steve

              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
              >
              > I've been busy with firmware development this week and I'm slipping
              > behind on emails. Did you get this figured out or are you still having
              > trouble?
              >
              > Scott
              >
              > On 2/28/2011 10:16 PM, seerdman wrote:
              > > Hello,
              > >
              > > I have a new T2-301 and am trying to get it configured. I've gone
              > > through the troubleshooting FAQ and this forum, and am trying to figure
              > > out what I've missed. Here's what I've tried so far:
              > >
              > > - Confirmed that COM1 is the correct port by connecting my Garmin GPS to
              > > it and running my Topo software that allows me to select a COM port. The
              > > Garmin successfully sends coordinates to the PC.
              > >
              > > - Using the latest release of otwincfg
              > >
              > > - tried wiring pins 2 and 3 of the T2-301 to pins 3 and 2 of the PC (per
              > > the FAQ), and also pins 2 and 3 of the T2-301 straight to pins 2 and 3
              > > of the PC (per June 2010 schematic posted on the forum). Ground is
              > > running to pin 4 on the T2-301 and pin 5 on the PC. Nothing else is
              > > connected.
              > >
              > > - I'm using the Argent serial power cable for the T2-301 with the yellow
              > > connector on one end, and the black connector on the other. Yellow
              > > connector is connected to the T2-301. Then using a null modem adaptor
              > > that provides the connections described above. It is about 4 feet long,
              > > but I've continuity tested the connections from end to end.
              > >
              > > - I'm using a 9V DC supply (AC wall adapter) rated for 600ma output, and
              > > it's measuring at 10.3V while connected.
              > >
              > > - I have a steady red power light while power is connected, with
              > > occasional flashes of the green light indicating reception
              > >
              > > - I've tried disabling turbo mode
              > >
              > > - I've tried starting otwincfg both with the unit already on and with
              > > the unit off to start
              > >
              > > - I've tried with the antenna both connected or disconnected
              > >
              > > - Tried resetting the unit multiple times (removing and reconnecting
              > > power). If I do this multiple times very quickly I'll get a
              > > communication error message.
              > >
              > > Any other troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
              > >
              > >
              >
            • Jason KG4WSV
              ... a 3 wire works for me. -Jason kg4wsv
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 5, 2011
              • 0 Attachment
                On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 6:36 PM, seerdman <seerdman@...> wrote:

                > wondering whether I should use 3-pin or 5-pin null modem wiring,

                a 3 wire works for me.

                -Jason
                kg4wsv
              • seerdman
                Okay, still having trouble. Here s the latest: New T2-301 connected to 13-inch rubber duck antenna and yellow end of Argent serial+power connector, which is
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 7, 2011
                • 0 Attachment
                  Okay, still having trouble. Here's the latest:

                  New T2-301 connected to 13-inch rubber duck antenna and yellow end of Argent serial+power connector, which is connected to brand new Gigaware 6-foot female-to-male serial cable, which is connected to a brand new female-to-female null modem adapter, which is connected to PC serial port COM1.

                  Confirmed serial port (COM1) works using Garmin GPS & Delorme software which prompts for COM port # selection. Read through the otwincfg FAQ and Wiki and tried various combinations of the following sequence, but I'm assuming this is the preferred sequence:

                  1) Start with otwincfg and the T2-301 both off, but connected to PC.
                  2) Start otwincfg - there is a sample "ot.cfg" file saved in the same directory as otwincfg that I've modified in Offline mode with my call sign - not sure if anything related to this file matters for starting otwincfg)
                  3) COM1 is selected, Disable Turbo unchecked (also tried it checked), click Connect
                  4) "Ready to connect. Please reset tracker now." appears at bottom of otwincfg window
                  5) I connect power to the T2-301 (14.2V DC from ten 1.5V AA batteries)

                  After that, nothing happens even if I leave it for a few minutes. No error messages ever appear.

                  Any possible tips of other things I could try? Any signal testing I could do with my multimeter? Thank you!


                  --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > I've been busy with firmware development this week and I'm slipping
                  > behind on emails. Did you get this figured out or are you still having
                  > trouble?
                  >
                  > Scott
                  >
                  > On 2/28/2011 10:16 PM, seerdman wrote:
                  > > Hello,
                  > >
                  > > I have a new T2-301 and am trying to get it configured. I've gone
                  > > through the troubleshooting FAQ and this forum, and am trying to figure
                  > > out what I've missed. Here's what I've tried so far:
                  > >
                  > > - Confirmed that COM1 is the correct port by connecting my Garmin GPS to
                  > > it and running my Topo software that allows me to select a COM port. The
                  > > Garmin successfully sends coordinates to the PC.
                  > >
                  > > - Using the latest release of otwincfg
                  > >
                  > > - tried wiring pins 2 and 3 of the T2-301 to pins 3 and 2 of the PC (per
                  > > the FAQ), and also pins 2 and 3 of the T2-301 straight to pins 2 and 3
                  > > of the PC (per June 2010 schematic posted on the forum). Ground is
                  > > running to pin 4 on the T2-301 and pin 5 on the PC. Nothing else is
                  > > connected.
                  > >
                  > > - I'm using the Argent serial power cable for the T2-301 with the yellow
                  > > connector on one end, and the black connector on the other. Yellow
                  > > connector is connected to the T2-301. Then using a null modem adaptor
                  > > that provides the connections described above. It is about 4 feet long,
                  > > but I've continuity tested the connections from end to end.
                  > >
                  > > - I'm using a 9V DC supply (AC wall adapter) rated for 600ma output, and
                  > > it's measuring at 10.3V while connected.
                  > >
                  > > - I have a steady red power light while power is connected, with
                  > > occasional flashes of the green light indicating reception
                  > >
                  > > - I've tried disabling turbo mode
                  > >
                  > > - I've tried starting otwincfg both with the unit already on and with
                  > > the unit off to start
                  > >
                  > > - I've tried with the antenna both connected or disconnected
                  > >
                  > > - Tried resetting the unit multiple times (removing and reconnecting
                  > > power). If I do this multiple times very quickly I'll get a
                  > > communication error message.
                  > >
                  > > Any other troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
                  > >
                  > >
                  >
                • Keith VE7GDH
                  Steve (callsign?) wrote... ... Presumably, you closed the Delorme software to release the com port. From an earlier message, you said that you had checked the
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 8, 2011
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Steve (callsign?) wrote...

                    > New T2-301... and yellow end of Argent serial+power connector, which
                    > is connected to brand new Gigaware 6-foot female-to-male serial cable,
                    > which is connected to a brand new female-to-female null modem adapter,
                    > which is connected to PC serial port COM1. Confirmed serial port
                    > (COM1) works using Garmin GPS & Delorme software which prompts
                    > for COM port # selection...
                    > 3) COM1 is selected, Disable Turbo unchecked (also tried it checked), click Connect
                    > 4) "Ready to connect. Please reset tracker now." appears at bottom of otwincfg window
                    > 5) I connect power to the T2-301 (14.2V DC from ten 1.5V AA batteries)
                    > After that, nothing happens even if I leave it for a few minutes. No error messages
                    > ever appear.

                    Presumably, you closed the Delorme software to release the com port.

                    From an earlier message, you said that you had checked the null modem cable. Do
                    you have e.g. an OT1+ that you could try with the serial cable / null modem cables
                    that you are using? If you don't, try connecting two computers to see if you can
                    "talk" between them with terminal programs.

                    Have you checked the Argent power/serial cable? I don't recall hearing about
                    any bad ones.

                    If you can't find the problem elsewhere, perhaps it's time to start checking the
                    T2-301 itself. It's only a few screws to pop the lid.

                    Are there any other T2-301 users near Steve? A T2-301 or cable swap or
                    someone else's com port might pin it down.

                    73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                    --
                    "I may be lost, but I know exactly where I am!"
                  • seerdman
                    Yep, closed the Delorme software to release the com port, and also rebooted. After I rebooted and went through the sequence, I got a Can t open serial port
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 8, 2011
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Yep, closed the Delorme software to release the com port, and also rebooted. After I rebooted and went through the sequence, I got a "Can't open serial port" error message. I also tried running the program with the "reload firmware" option checked, although I was loathe to do so. Same result - no response from the program after resetting the T2-301.

                      I also tried the sequence this morning on a different PC. It just doesn't ever seem to be recognizing that I've reset the T2.

                      I don't have an OT with another cable that I could try, but I'm certainly not opposed to just building a cable as an alternate to the Argent one. It would just be good to have a complete end-to-end schematic to follow - from the T2 pins to PC port pins, including the null modem adapter. It would also be great to know what signal levels I should be seeing where.

                      I did pop the lid, and other than a loose screw holding down the PCB, I couldn't see anything wrong. Didn't want to mess with it too much.

                      Thanks for the reply, Keith!

                      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > Steve (callsign?) wrote...
                      >
                      > > New T2-301... and yellow end of Argent serial+power connector, which
                      > > is connected to brand new Gigaware 6-foot female-to-male serial cable,
                      > > which is connected to a brand new female-to-female null modem adapter,
                      > > which is connected to PC serial port COM1. Confirmed serial port
                      > > (COM1) works using Garmin GPS & Delorme software which prompts
                      > > for COM port # selection...
                      > > 3) COM1 is selected, Disable Turbo unchecked (also tried it checked), click Connect
                      > > 4) "Ready to connect. Please reset tracker now." appears at bottom of otwincfg window
                      > > 5) I connect power to the T2-301 (14.2V DC from ten 1.5V AA batteries)
                      > > After that, nothing happens even if I leave it for a few minutes. No error messages
                      > > ever appear.
                      >
                      > Presumably, you closed the Delorme software to release the com port.
                      >
                      > From an earlier message, you said that you had checked the null modem cable. Do
                      > you have e.g. an OT1+ that you could try with the serial cable / null modem cables
                      > that you are using? If you don't, try connecting two computers to see if you can
                      > "talk" between them with terminal programs.
                      >
                      > Have you checked the Argent power/serial cable? I don't recall hearing about
                      > any bad ones.
                      >
                      > If you can't find the problem elsewhere, perhaps it's time to start checking the
                      > T2-301 itself. It's only a few screws to pop the lid.
                      >
                      > Are there any other T2-301 users near Steve? A T2-301 or cable swap or
                      > someone else's com port might pin it down.
                      >
                      > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                      > --
                      > "I may be lost, but I know exactly where I am!"
                      >
                    • k7ybz
                      If there was a screw loose, no pun intended, you might want to open it back up and make sure the OT2 board is seated properly and the main PC board is also
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 8, 2011
                      • 0 Attachment
                        If there was a screw loose, no pun intended, you might want to open it back up and make sure the OT2 board is seated properly and the main PC board is also seated and secured.

                        Grab a magnifying glass and look closely around the inside. In my T2-301, there was a small piece of solder that was hanging from a solder joint on the DE-9 connector and the antenna connection was loose at the BNC center pin. I took pictures and sent them to Scott.

                        One other thing to look at is the little crystal can on the OT2 board. Scott was going to start using a little HOT GLUE to hold that can down to the board. Some were only held in place by the strength of the leads. If the T2-301 were bounced around, the leads could break. If you need to glue the crystal can to the PC board, make sure the glue is non-conductive in case it slops over any traces.

                        Larry
                        K7YBZ

                        >
                        > I did pop the lid, and other than a loose screw holding down the PCB, I couldn't see anything wrong. Didn't want to mess with it too much.
                        >
                      • Scott Miller
                        If you re getting the can t open serial port error, it s not even getting as far as opening the port to listen for the tracker to reset. Usually that means
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 8, 2011
                        • 0 Attachment
                          If you're getting the "can't open serial port" error, it's not even
                          getting as far as opening the port to listen for the tracker to reset.
                          Usually that means something else has the port open, maybe a dead copy
                          of otwincfg, but that shouldn't happen (at least, not as much) with
                          current versions.

                          Scott

                          On 3/8/2011 10:49 AM, seerdman wrote:
                          > Yep, closed the Delorme software to release the com port, and also
                          > rebooted. After I rebooted and went through the sequence, I got a "Can't
                          > open serial port" error message. I also tried running the program with
                          > the "reload firmware" option checked, although I was loathe to do so.
                          > Same result - no response from the program after resetting the T2-301.
                          >
                          > I also tried the sequence this morning on a different PC. It just
                          > doesn't ever seem to be recognizing that I've reset the T2.
                          >
                          > I don't have an OT with another cable that I could try, but I'm
                          > certainly not opposed to just building a cable as an alternate to the
                          > Argent one. It would just be good to have a complete end-to-end
                          > schematic to follow - from the T2 pins to PC port pins, including the
                          > null modem adapter. It would also be great to know what signal levels I
                          > should be seeing where.
                          >
                          > I did pop the lid, and other than a loose screw holding down the PCB, I
                          > couldn't see anything wrong. Didn't want to mess with it too much.
                          >
                          > Thanks for the reply, Keith!
                          >
                          > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,
                          > "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Steve (callsign?) wrote...
                          > >
                          > > > New T2-301... and yellow end of Argent serial+power connector, which
                          > > > is connected to brand new Gigaware 6-foot female-to-male serial cable,
                          > > > which is connected to a brand new female-to-female null modem adapter,
                          > > > which is connected to PC serial port COM1. Confirmed serial port
                          > > > (COM1) works using Garmin GPS & Delorme software which prompts
                          > > > for COM port # selection...
                          > > > 3) COM1 is selected, Disable Turbo unchecked (also tried it
                          > checked), click Connect
                          > > > 4) "Ready to connect. Please reset tracker now." appears at bottom
                          > of otwincfg window
                          > > > 5) I connect power to the T2-301 (14.2V DC from ten 1.5V AA batteries)
                          > > > After that, nothing happens even if I leave it for a few minutes.
                          > No error messages
                          > > > ever appear.
                          > >
                          > > Presumably, you closed the Delorme software to release the com port.
                          > >
                          > > From an earlier message, you said that you had checked the null modem
                          > cable. Do
                          > > you have e.g. an OT1+ that you could try with the serial cable / null
                          > modem cables
                          > > that you are using? If you don't, try connecting two computers to see
                          > if you can
                          > > "talk" between them with terminal programs.
                          > >
                          > > Have you checked the Argent power/serial cable? I don't recall
                          > hearing about
                          > > any bad ones.
                          > >
                          > > If you can't find the problem elsewhere, perhaps it's time to start
                          > checking the
                          > > T2-301 itself. It's only a few screws to pop the lid.
                          > >
                          > > Are there any other T2-301 users near Steve? A T2-301 or cable swap or
                          > > someone else's com port might pin it down.
                          > >
                          > > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                          > > --
                          > > "I may be lost, but I know exactly where I am!"
                          > >
                          >
                          >
                        • seerdman
                          Okay, here s the latest... Larry K7YBZ suggested close inspection of the T2 innards. I did find that the crystal can is in fine shape - not glued down, but
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 9, 2011
                          • 0 Attachment
                            Okay, here's the latest...

                            Larry K7YBZ suggested close inspection of the T2 innards. I did find that the crystal can is in fine shape - not glued down, but the leads are intact and the can is laying against the board. The OT board was not sitting fully into the main board connectors, so I pressed that down fully. I have to get really nitpicky to point out a couple of solder joints that are light on solder. I'm not even sure the difference would show up in a photo, but one is on the DE-9 connector and the other on the center lead of the BNC pin. The black casing of the DE-9 looks like it may have gotten a little too close to a hot iron, but nothing major at all. I was most hoping that the loose OT board would solve my issue, but it didn't and I think Scott and others who've suggested a COM port issue are on the right track. After rebooting, I'm still not getting an errror message or response from otwincfg.

                            Not being a PC expert, does anyone have a recommendation for good beginner-level COM port troubleshooting software? I'm a total newbie to all this and apologize for the handholding, but I'm assuming I need software that will tell me if the port's available and let me send and receive commands (not sure what those commands are for the T2). I'm running Windows XP.

                            Thanks again everyone.

                            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > If you're getting the "can't open serial port" error, it's not even
                            > getting as far as opening the port to listen for the tracker to reset.
                            > Usually that means something else has the port open, maybe a dead copy
                            > of otwincfg, but that shouldn't happen (at least, not as much) with
                            > current versions.
                            >
                            > Scott
                            >
                            > On 3/8/2011 10:49 AM, seerdman wrote:
                            > > Yep, closed the Delorme software to release the com port, and also
                            > > rebooted. After I rebooted and went through the sequence, I got a "Can't
                            > > open serial port" error message. I also tried running the program with
                            > > the "reload firmware" option checked, although I was loathe to do so.
                            > > Same result - no response from the program after resetting the T2-301.
                            > >
                            > > I also tried the sequence this morning on a different PC. It just
                            > > doesn't ever seem to be recognizing that I've reset the T2.
                            > >
                            > > I don't have an OT with another cable that I could try, but I'm
                            > > certainly not opposed to just building a cable as an alternate to the
                            > > Argent one. It would just be good to have a complete end-to-end
                            > > schematic to follow - from the T2 pins to PC port pins, including the
                            > > null modem adapter. It would also be great to know what signal levels I
                            > > should be seeing where.
                            > >
                            > > I did pop the lid, and other than a loose screw holding down the PCB, I
                            > > couldn't see anything wrong. Didn't want to mess with it too much.
                            > >
                            > > Thanks for the reply, Keith!
                            > >
                            > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,
                            > > "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Steve (callsign?) wrote...
                            > > >
                            > > > > New T2-301... and yellow end of Argent serial+power connector, which
                            > > > > is connected to brand new Gigaware 6-foot female-to-male serial cable,
                            > > > > which is connected to a brand new female-to-female null modem adapter,
                            > > > > which is connected to PC serial port COM1. Confirmed serial port
                            > > > > (COM1) works using Garmin GPS & Delorme software which prompts
                            > > > > for COM port # selection...
                            > > > > 3) COM1 is selected, Disable Turbo unchecked (also tried it
                            > > checked), click Connect
                            > > > > 4) "Ready to connect. Please reset tracker now." appears at bottom
                            > > of otwincfg window
                            > > > > 5) I connect power to the T2-301 (14.2V DC from ten 1.5V AA batteries)
                            > > > > After that, nothing happens even if I leave it for a few minutes.
                            > > No error messages
                            > > > > ever appear.
                            > > >
                            > > > Presumably, you closed the Delorme software to release the com port.
                            > > >
                            > > > From an earlier message, you said that you had checked the null modem
                            > > cable. Do
                            > > > you have e.g. an OT1+ that you could try with the serial cable / null
                            > > modem cables
                            > > > that you are using? If you don't, try connecting two computers to see
                            > > if you can
                            > > > "talk" between them with terminal programs.
                            > > >
                            > > > Have you checked the Argent power/serial cable? I don't recall
                            > > hearing about
                            > > > any bad ones.
                            > > >
                            > > > If you can't find the problem elsewhere, perhaps it's time to start
                            > > checking the
                            > > > T2-301 itself. It's only a few screws to pop the lid.
                            > > >
                            > > > Are there any other T2-301 users near Steve? A T2-301 or cable swap or
                            > > > someone else's com port might pin it down.
                            > > >
                            > > > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                            > > > --
                            > > > "I may be lost, but I know exactly where I am!"
                            > > >
                            > >
                            > >
                            >
                          • Keith VE7GDH
                            Steve (callsign?) wrote... ... I don t have anything for testing a com port, other than a RS-232 mini tester ($10 well spent) but do you have a GPS receiver
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 10, 2011
                            • 0 Attachment
                              Steve (callsign?) wrote...

                              > does anyone have a recommendation for good beginner-level COM
                              > port troubleshooting software?

                              I don't have anything for testing a com port, other than a "RS-232 mini
                              tester" ($10 well spent) but do you have a GPS receiver that you could
                              connect to the com port? You could look at it with a terminal program,
                              or you could download something like VisualGPS. Even better, do you
                              have software for uploading anything to a GPS receiver? You could test
                              it in both directions if you could try uploading to and downloading from
                              the GPS.

                              Of course, you could try connecting the T2-301 to a terminal program
                              too. Select the com port, and 4800 N81 if you haven't ever changed the
                              speed on the serial port in the T2-301.

                              For anyone having trouble getting a device to talk to a computer, it's
                              a matter of determining what the problem is. It can be broken down into
                              five components. It can either be...

                              * the device itself is somehow "broken"
                              * the device doesn't have power
                              * a problem with the cable
                              * a problem with the com port
                              * a problem with the software

                              Some things can be proven with a VOM. Others can be determined with
                              substitution... try another device, try another cable, try another com port
                              or even one on another computer, or use different software. In the case of
                              the T2-301, you are limited to otwincfg.exe or a terminal program.

                              73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                              --
                              "I may be lost, but I know exactly where I am!"
                            • seerdman
                              Hi Keith, Thanks for that great writeup on COM port troubleshooting. That definitely helped a lot. I feel pretty confident now that the COM port is working
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 10, 2011
                              • 0 Attachment
                                Hi Keith,

                                Thanks for that great writeup on COM port troubleshooting. That
                                definitely helped a lot. I feel pretty confident now that the COM port
                                is working fine, and so I went back to troubleshooting the connections
                                from the PC port to the T2-301, and I think I may have found the
                                problem.

                                I removed the T2 cover and started testing the connections of each pin
                                between the female side of the DE-9 connector and the leads that come
                                out and down to the main circuit board. What I've found is that pins 1
                                through 3 seem to be open, while pins 4 through 9 are working fine. If
                                I'm reading the schematic correctly, this means that Port B In, Port A
                                Out, and the +5V Out lines are not connected - most critically Port A
                                Out, which is necessary for the serial data transfer.

                                So now my question for anyone is: A) should I attempt to fix this and if
                                so, how? or B) should I just send it back? There's a little black cover
                                on the connector that appears to be removable, but I don't want to force
                                anything open that's not meant to be removed.

                                Thanks again everyone - I can only be getting closer! :o)

                                -Steve KF7MXS

                                --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > Steve (callsign?) wrote...
                                >
                                > > does anyone have a recommendation for good beginner-level COM
                                > > port troubleshooting software?
                                >
                                > I don't have anything for testing a com port, other than a "RS-232
                                mini
                                > tester" ($10 well spent) but do you have a GPS receiver that you could
                                > connect to the com port? You could look at it with a terminal program,
                                > or you could download something like VisualGPS. Even better, do you
                                > have software for uploading anything to a GPS receiver? You could test
                                > it in both directions if you could try uploading to and downloading
                                from
                                > the GPS.
                                >
                                > Of course, you could try connecting the T2-301 to a terminal program
                                > too. Select the com port, and 4800 N81 if you haven't ever changed the
                                > speed on the serial port in the T2-301.
                                >
                                > For anyone having trouble getting a device to talk to a computer, it's
                                > a matter of determining what the problem is. It can be broken down
                                into
                                > five components. It can either be...
                                >
                                > * the device itself is somehow "broken"
                                > * the device doesn't have power
                                > * a problem with the cable
                                > * a problem with the com port
                                > * a problem with the software
                                >
                                > Some things can be proven with a VOM. Others can be determined with
                                > substitution... try another device, try another cable, try another com
                                port
                                > or even one on another computer, or use different software. In the
                                case of
                                > the T2-301, you are limited to otwincfg.exe or a terminal program.
                                >
                                > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                                > --
                                > "I may be lost, but I know exactly where I am!"
                                >
                              • Keith VE7GDH
                                Steve KF7MXS wrote... ... If pin 2 is open on the DE-9, that would prevent you from receiving any data from port A. Pin 1 is of course port B out, and pin 3 is
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 11, 2011
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  Steve KF7MXS wrote...

                                  > I removed the T2 cover and started testing the connections of each pin
                                  > between the female side of the DE-9 connector and the leads that come
                                  > out and down to the main circuit board. What I've found is that pins 1
                                  > through 3 seem to be open, while pins 4 through 9 are working fine. If
                                  > I'm reading the schematic correctly, this means that Port B In, Port A
                                  > Out, and the +5V Out lines are not connected - most critically Port A
                                  > Out, which is necessary for the serial data transfer.

                                  If pin 2 is open on the DE-9, that would prevent you from receiving
                                  any data from port A. Pin 1 is of course port B out, and pin 3 is +5V
                                  out for a GPS receiver.

                                  > So now my question for anyone is: A) should I attempt to fix this and if
                                  > so, how? or B) should I just send it back? There's a little black cover
                                  > on the connector that appears to be removable, but I don't want to force
                                  > anything open that's not meant to be removed.

                                  Scott should answer that one, but on a new unit, it would think it would be
                                  better to send it back unless you could see an easy fix.

                                  73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                                  --
                                  "I may be lost, but I know exactly where I am!"
                                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.