T2 script day of week question

  • Bob Burns W9RXR
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 26, 2011
      The T2 Wiki (http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php/Scripting) presents
      a simple, straight-forward sample script for transmitting different
      beacons on different days. However, it seems to me that since the
      example script just counts seconds and days, it assumes that the
      script starts running at midnight Sunday. If you start the example
      script at any other time, I don't think it works.

      So, my question to you script masters, is how do you make this
      example script work as intended, i.e. transmit the Tuesday beacon on
      Tuesday and Thursday beacon on Thursday? I see that the Second
      counter is synchronized to the GPS fix, but how do you synchronize
      the day to the GPS fix and how do you synchronize to the GPS fix if
      there is no GPS such as in a fixed-location digipeater?

      Bob...
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 26, 2011
        On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 7:12 AM, Bob Burns W9RXR <w9rxr_@...> wrote:

        > The T2 Wiki (http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php/Scripting) presents
        > a simple, straight-forward sample script for transmitting different
        > beacons on different days. However, it seems to me that since the
        > example script just counts seconds and days, it assumes that the
        > script starts running at midnight Sunday. If you start the example
        > script at any other time, I don't think it works.

        Oh it works all right... you just have to get the rest of the world to
        adopt your interpretation of the time of day, and day of the week
        based on when you reset the unit! All you need to do is to sit up
        until midnight on Sunday, and then reboot the unit.

        > So, my question to you script masters, is how do you make this
        > example script work as intended, i.e. transmit the Tuesday beacon on
        > Tuesday and Thursday beacon on Thursday? I see that the Second
        > counter is synchronized to the GPS fix, but how do you synchronize
        > the day to the GPS fix and how do you synchronize to the GPS fix if
        > there is no GPS such as in a fixed-location digipeater?

        You can create a macro that presets the counters to a specific value
        that equates to a desired time, and then call that macro at the
        desired time.

        Macro WEDNOON
        Set Counter 3 = 4 ;Counter 3 counts days from Sunday
        Set Counter 2 = 72 ;Counter 2 counts increments of 10 minutes
        from midnight
        Set Counter 1 = 0 ;Counter 1 counts seconds
        End Block

        To reset the counters to noon on Wednesday, simply send a message to
        the unit at noon Wednesday that says CMD WEDNOON

        I know when I was poking around with this originally I was looking at
        a way to set the counters to a preset value. I can't recall what I
        came up with, but I think it's tough to rewrite scripts remotely. The
        hope was that Scott would create a way to be able to read time strings
        from the GPS, or better yet, from timestamps gleaned from the packets
        heard on air. Another option that would be great would be to be able
        to send the command over the air with parameters that could be pulled
        in like done on the CLI.

        Sending a message such as CMD SETTIME 5 78 0, and the macro would pull
        the values and populate the associated variables in the macro.

        Macro SETTIME
        Set Counter 3 = %1 ;Counter 3 set to first command line entry
        Set Counter 2 = %2 ;Counter 2 set to second command line entry
        Set Counter 1 = %3 ;Counter 1 set to third command line entry
        End Block

      • pb648174
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 27, 2011
          I use a microcontroller to send commands to a T2-301 on the command port. I was reading through some of the scripting stuff and noticed statements such as this:

          "the tracker's flash memory has a write endurance of about 100,000 cycles, and any command that changes a value in the tracker's configuration will require a flash write. At 8 script executions per second, an errant script could wear out the flash memory in a few hours"

          What does "wear out the flash memory" mean? Does this mean the flash memory can only be written a certain number of times and after this number of times the device no longer works? If I'm beaconing every couple minutes or so and changing frequences to send non APRS data just to myself is that eventually going to cause a problem?

          > On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 7:12 AM, Bob Burns W9RXR <w9rxr_@...> wrote:
          >
          > > The T2 Wiki (http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php/Scripting) presents
          > > a simple, straight-forward sample script for transmitting different
          > > beacons on different days. However, it seems to me that since the
          > > example script just counts seconds and days, it assumes that the
          > > script starts running at midnight Sunday. If you start the example
          > > script at any other time, I don't think it works.
          >
          > Oh it works all right... you just have to get the rest of the world to
          > adopt your interpretation of the time of day, and day of the week
          > based on when you reset the unit! All you need to do is to sit up
          > until midnight on Sunday, and then reboot the unit.
          >
          > > So, my question to you script masters, is how do you make this
          > > example script work as intended, i.e. transmit the Tuesday beacon on
          > > Tuesday and Thursday beacon on Thursday? I see that the Second
          > > counter is synchronized to the GPS fix, but how do you synchronize
          > > the day to the GPS fix and how do you synchronize to the GPS fix if
          > > there is no GPS such as in a fixed-location digipeater?
          >
          > You can create a macro that presets the counters to a specific value
          > that equates to a desired time, and then call that macro at the
          > desired time.
          >
          > Macro WEDNOON
          > Set Counter 3 = 4 ;Counter 3 counts days from Sunday
          > Set Counter 2 = 72 ;Counter 2 counts increments of 10 minutes
          > from midnight
          > Set Counter 1 = 0 ;Counter 1 counts seconds
          > End Block
          >
          > To reset the counters to noon on Wednesday, simply send a message to
          > the unit at noon Wednesday that says CMD WEDNOON
          >
          > I know when I was poking around with this originally I was looking at
          > a way to set the counters to a preset value. I can't recall what I
          > came up with, but I think it's tough to rewrite scripts remotely. The
          > hope was that Scott would create a way to be able to read time strings
          > from the GPS, or better yet, from timestamps gleaned from the packets
          > heard on air. Another option that would be great would be to be able
          > to send the command over the air with parameters that could be pulled
          > in like done on the CLI.
          >
          > Sending a message such as CMD SETTIME 5 78 0, and the macro would pull
          > the values and populate the associated variables in the macro.
          >
          > Macro SETTIME
          > Set Counter 3 = %1 ;Counter 3 set to first command line entry
          > Set Counter 2 = %2 ;Counter 2 set to second command line entry
          > Set Counter 1 = %3 ;Counter 1 set to third command line entry
          > End Block
          >
          > James
          > VE6SRV

        • Jason KG4WSV
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 27, 2011
            On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 8:11 AM, pb648174 <yahoo@...> wrote:
            > What does "wear out the flash memory" mean? Does this mean the flash memory can only be written a certain number of times and after this number of times the device no longer works?

            Yes. More accurately, after that many writes it may or may not work.
            I d;nt know the exact failure modes for flash memory.

            > If I'm beaconing every couple minutes or so and changing frequences to send non APRS data just to myself is that eventually going to cause a problem?

            Yes. If you do 2 frequency changes every 2 minutes, that's one write
            per minute. If my math is correct, that's just under 70 days to hit
            100k writes.

            -Jason
            kg4wsv
          • pb648174
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 27, 2011
              Maybe I need to change my strategy to only transmit on my separate frequency then. Are there any commands which do not reduce the life of the device? For example, does calling the BEACON command or setting the unit to KISS mode do this as well?

              I think this should be mentioned in the tracker2 manual as well, which commands reduce the life of the device and which don't (and that this occurs).. Also once this happens it would be nice if there was some way to replace the flash memory or even upgrade it for the next time around.

              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv@...> wrote:

              > On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 8:11 AM, pb648174 <yahoo@...> wrote:
              > > What does "wear out the flash memory" mean? Does this mean the flash memory can only be written a certain number of times and after this number of times the device no longer works?
              >
              > Yes. More accurately, after that many writes it may or may not work.
              > I d;nt know the exact failure modes for flash memory.
              >
              > > If I'm beaconing every couple minutes or so and changing frequences to send non APRS data just to myself is that eventually going to cause a problem?
              >
              > Yes. If you do 2 frequency changes every 2 minutes, that's one write
              > per minute. If my math is correct, that's just under 70 days to hit
              > 100k writes.
              >
              > -Jason
              > kg4wsv

            • Jason KG4WSV
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 27, 2011
                On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 1:40 PM, pb648174 <yahoo@...> wrote:
                > it would be nice if there was some way to replace the flash memory or even upgrade it for the next time around.

                It's in the processor, which in the T2 series and some other OTs is a
                surface mount device. Not impossible to do, but not as easy as a
                through-hole part replacement.

                -Jason
                kg4wsv
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 27, 2011
                  On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 12:40 PM, pb648174 <yahoo@...> wrote:

                  > Are there any commands which do not reduce the life of the device?

                  There are many commands that don't reduce the life of the device.

                  > For example, does calling the BEACON command or setting
                  > the unit to KISS mode do this as well?

                  Have a little sit down and think session... what does BEACON do? It
                  tells the unit to send a beacon. There's no need to write anything to
                  memory to simply send a beacon. Setting a path however does write to
                  memory as that stays in memory over power cycles.

                  If the item can be set in OTWINCFG, then you're pretty much guaranteed
                  that when you hit the WRITE button that the settings are being written
                  to flash.

                  > I think this should be mentioned in the tracker2 manual as well,
                  > which commands reduce the life of the device and which don't
                  > (and that this occurs)..

                  Well, if the command has parameters that you put after the command
                  name, then it's probably writing that to memory. If you issue the
                  command by itself and something happens, it probably doesn't write to
                  memory.

                  If you issue a command with parameters, shut the power off, turn the
                  power on, and can retrieve those parameters, you know for sure that
                  the parameters were written to memory.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 27, 2011
                    Anything that doesn't change the configuration doesn't contribute to
                    flash wear.

                    For the SETFREQ command, it's actually the EEPROM in the radio that
                    would eventually wear out.

                    Scott

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 27, 2011
                      > What does "wear out the flash memory" mean? Does this mean the flash
                      > memory can only be written a certain number of times and after this
                      > number of times the device no longer works? If I'm beaconing every

                      It can only be erased so many times. After that, some bits may start
                      failing. The 100,000 cycle specification is conservative - it's likely
                      to go well beyond that before you notice any problems.

                      Scott
                    • ai4wu
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 28, 2011
                        Would it be possible to rewire the power control function to toggle the dip switch input on the radio to select an alternate pre-programmed channel? You could then configure one profile to transmit APRS packets and the other to transmit private packets without repeatedly writing to the radio's eeprom. Presumably this would require some expertise with a soldering iron as well as a significant magnifier, at least in my case.

                        Chuck - AI4WU

                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 28, 2011
                          Probably, yes. The T2-301 board has a space for the VN920 switch - the
                          control lead is a push-pull 5v signal, and most likely the DIP switch is
                          5v as well. I would check that first. Worst case, you could throw a
                          2N7000 in there.

                          Nothing should be terribly difficult to get to, unless you have to go
                          under the switch to get to a pad. That's kind of a pain. If it's an
                          SMT switch, and I think it is, it should be easy to get to.

                          Scott

                        • la5ppa
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 25, 2011

                            > Anything that doesn't change the configuration doesn't contribute to
                            > flash wear.
                            >
                            > For the SETFREQ command, it's actually the EEPROM in the radio that
                            > would eventually wear out.
                            >
                            > Scott

                            Hi, I just need to be sure..

                            Script 1 is not writing to Flash but Script 2 does because it do a change in the Path ?

                            Script 1
                            On Second
                              Increment Counter 1
                              If Counter 1 = 500
                                Exec "BEA ;LA5DR    *111111z5943.20N/01014.59Er145.725MHz tOFF -0600kHz"
                              End Block
                              If Counter 1 = 510
                                Set Counter 1 = 0
                              End Block
                            End Block

                            Script 2
                            On Second
                              Increment Counter 1
                              If Counter 1 = 500
                                Exec "PATH WIDE2-1"
                                Exec "BEA ;LA5DR    *111111z5943.20N/01014.59Er145.725MHz tOFF -0600kHz"
                              End Block
                              If Counter 1 = 510
                                Set Counter 1 = 0
                                Exec "PATH WIDE3-3"
                              End Block
                            End Block

                            --
                            Lasse

                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 25, 2011
                              On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 8:15 AM, la5ppa <div.tt14@...> wrote:

                              > Script 1 is not writing to Flash but Script 2 does because it do a change in the Path ?

                              >     Exec "PATH WIDE2-1"

                              >     Exec "PATH WIDE3-3"

                              Yes, those PATH assignments get written to RAM.

                              BTW, it would be more accurate to say that your script runs on an 8.5
                              minute repeating cycle, rather than saying approximately 10 minutes.

                              The example above yours on the script example page is even more
                              egregious, purporting to be running a 29 minutes cycle "randomized" by
                              a few seconds. There's no randomization, it runs on a 28 minute and 27
                              cycle every time through.

                              Yes I'm picky... computers are as well!

                            • la5ppa
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 25, 2011

                                > On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 8:15 AM, la5ppa div.tt14@... wrote:
                                >
                                > > Script 1 is not writing to Flash but Script 2 does because it do a change in the Path ?
                                >
                                > >     Exec "PATH WIDE2-1"
                                >
                                > >     Exec "PATH WIDE3-3"
                                >

                                > Yes, those PATH assignments get written to RAM.
                                >
                                > BTW, it would be more accurate to say that your script runs on an 8.5
                                > minute repeating cycle, rather than saying approximately 10 minutes.
                                >
                                > The example above yours on the script example page is even more
                                > egregious, purporting to be running a 29 minutes cycle "randomized" by
                                > a few seconds. There's no randomization, it runs on a 28 minute and 27
                                > cycle every time through.
                                >

                                > Yes I'm picky... computers are as well!
                                >
                                > --
                                > James