T2-301 command port shutting down after transmitting

  • pb648174
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 21, 2011
      After I transmit a beacon the command port seems to stop functioning unless I quit and reconnect with my terminal program from the PC. Any idea if the issue is the standard behavior or is some kind of interference/miswiring affecting the RS232 cable? The cable being used is custom made so it is entirely possible I've wired something wrong.
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 21, 2011
        Interference seems most likely. Does this happen with timed beacons, or
        just the BEACON command?

        Scott

        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 21, 2011
          Both. It seems strange that the serial connection stops working.. I would guess if it were interference it would just disrupt things while the transmission was occurring. Or have you seen this before?

          There isn't much in the way of shielding though since they are all just normal wires soldered into a DB9 connector, GPS wires, etc. What would you recommend? Is there any measurement I can take to confirm it is interference?

          > Interference seems most likely. Does this happen with timed beacons, or
          > just the BEACON command?
          >
          > Scott
          >
          > On 2/21/2011 4:21 PM, pb648174 wrote:
          > > After I transmit a beacon the command port seems to stop functioning
          > > unless I quit and reconnect with my terminal program from the PC. Any
          > > idea if the issue is the standard behavior or is some kind of
          > > interference/miswiring affecting the RS232 cable? The cable being used
          > > is custom made so it is entirely possible I've wired something wrong.

        • Jason KG4WSV
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 21, 2011
            Does the packet actually get out? What is the power source?

            If the power source it weak, you could have a brownout issue when the
            TX fires up.

            -Jason
            kg4wsv
          • pb648174
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 22, 2011
              I have seen that before when using a battery and it gets low but in this case I'm powering the unit from a 12V DC adapter and the laptop has its own power so that isn't it. This same issue occurs when I'm using a micro controller on the command port with it being powered by a different battery than the T2-301 (which is why I care) - so I'm pretty sure it isn't power related.

              The packet does go out successfully though as I see it on aris.fi and can hear it with another radio locally.

              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv@...> wrote:

              > Does the packet actually get out? What is the power source?
              >
              > If the power source it weak, you could have a brownout issue when the
              > TX fires up.
              >
              > -Jason
              > kg4wsv

            • Keith VE7GDH
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 22, 2011
                "pb648174" (callsign?) wrote...

                > After I transmit a beacon the command port seems to stop functioning unless
                > I quit and reconnect with my terminal program from the PC. Any idea if the
                > issue is the standard behavior or is some kind of interference/miswiring
                > affecting the RS232 cable? The cable being used is custom made so it is
                > entirely possible I've wired something wrong.

                You could check the supply voltage to make sure the voltage isn't sagging on
                transmit. Also, do you have a dummy load that you could connect to the T2-301?
                If that got rid of the problem, it would point at RF getting back into it. Perhaps
                you could mount the antenna further away from the T2-301, the power supply
                and the computer.

                73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
              • pb648174
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 22, 2011
                  I don't have a dummy load but I will look into getting one and see if that is the issue. I found this web page describing making one: http://www.io.com/~n5fc/dummy1.htm

                  What do you use?

                  Also, if that is the issue and I just wrap the box all this stuff is in with foil will that take care of it in addition to making it look awesomer? :)

                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 22, 2011
                    RFI could be clobbering the clock oscillator, maybe. You could check at
                    the crystal with a frequency counter or oscilloscope, but that wouldn't
                    tell you if the PLL was messed up internally and you'd have to have the
                    case open to do it.

                    Can you check the supply voltage during transmit and make sure it's not
                    sagging?

                    Scott

                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 22, 2011
                      "pb648174" (callsign?) wrote...

                      > I don't have a dummy load but I will look into getting one and see if that
                      > is the issue. I found this web page describing making one:
                      > http://www.io.com/~n5fc/dummy1.htm What do you use?

                      For a dummy load? I have a commercially made dummy oad good for 25W, or
                      100W for very short transmissions. I would have to look at it to see who it was
                      from. I have used a dual-band flexible whip ~16.8" or so in length, but results
                      have been better with a 5/8 wave on the roof.

                      > Also, if that is the issue and I just wrap the box all this stuff is in with foil will
                      > that take care of it in addition to making it look awesomer? :)

                      It really depends... on whether it's an RF issue or a supply voltage issue. Figure
                      out what the problem is first and then deal with it. Connecting to a dummy load
                      (just for testing!) should prove if it's an RF issue or not.

                      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                    • pb648174
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 22, 2011
                        The voltage does drop quite a bit while transmitting but comes back up. It is running at 15.8V right now (two 7.2V RC batteries) and when it transmits it drops to somewhere between 7 and 12V, usually between 10 and 12V.

                        It would appear that RFI is the issue though as moving the antenna on the other side of a wall seems to have fixed it. I also discovered I was sometimes getting a bunch of serial data on the port from having waypoints and monitor turned on, turning those off may have helped also.

                        I pretty much have everything working now though. I can read and parse voltage info, alternate frequencies and beacon out position, voltage and temp readings from a onewire temp sensor via microcontroller so I'm pretty happy with it so far.

                      • djhuff@rockwellcollins.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 22, 2011
                          If it is a RFI issue, I also recommend ferrites and good cable shielding.  I found putting a single ferrite over the cable, right next to the radio helped me solve my RF issue.  The radio has the data port right next to the antenna, which will induce RF into the serial lines, especially on a home made cable.
                          Dave W0IM

                          From:        "pb648174" <yahoo@...>
                          To:        tracker2@yahoogroups.com
                          Date:        02/22/2011 02:02 PM
                          Subject:        [tracker2] Re: T2-301 command port shutting down after transmitting
                          Sent by:        tracker2@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 22, 2011
                            It would seem to be an RFI issue since moving the antenna further away helped. I posted another message related to the voltage drop when transmitting, not sure if it is a problem or not though.

                            > "pb648174" (callsign?) wrote...
                            >
                            > > I don't have a dummy load but I will look into getting one and see if that
                            > > is the issue. I found this web page describing making one:
                            > > http://www.io.com/~n5fc/dummy1.htm What do you use?
                            >
                            > For a dummy load? I have a commercially made dummy oad good for 25W, or
                            > 100W for very short transmissions. I would have to look at it to see who it was
                            > from. I have used a dual-band flexible whip ~16.8" or so in length, but results
                            > have been better with a 5/8 wave on the roof.
                            >
                            > > Also, if that is the issue and I just wrap the box all this stuff is in with foil will
                            > > that take care of it in addition to making it look awesomer? :)
                            >
                            > It really depends... on whether it's an RF issue or a supply voltage issue. Figure
                            > out what the problem is first and then deal with it. Connecting to a dummy load
                            > (just for testing!) should prove if it's an RF issue or not.
                            >
                            > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                          • pb648174
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 1, 2011
                              Here is a picture of my current setup. Admittedly not the prettiest setup but hopefully nothing preventing it from working.

                              http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m618/kf5jsj/IMG_1414.jpg

                              I put ferrite cores in multiple places, two on each side of the transmit antenna and one on the serial cable leading to the micro controller. The electrical taped area is the GPS. The thing stuck into the carboard is a serial camera, the red board next to the micro controller is a TTL to RS232 converter.

                              Everything works mostly ok except after 6-10 transmissions the T2-301 stops sending beacon requests though it does respond appropriately with cmd:, and echoes back the beacon command correctly.

                              What I'm doing is taking a picture with the camera, base64 encoding it and trying to beacon out the pieces in 50 character increments. So the micro controller keeps happily sending beacon commands but they just aren't sent by the tracker after a few beacon commands.

                              Any suggestions?

                              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, djhuff@... wrote:

                              > If it is a RFI issue, I also recommend ferrites and good cable shielding.
                              > I found putting a single ferrite over the cable, right next to the radio
                              > helped me solve my RF issue. The radio has the data port right next to
                              > the antenna, which will induce RF into the serial lines, especially on a
                              > home made cable.
                              > Dave W0IM
                              >

                              > From: "pb648174" <yahoo@...>
                              > To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
                              > Date: 02/22/2011 02:02 PM
                              > Subject: [tracker2] Re: T2-301 command port shutting down after
                              > transmitting
                              > Sent by: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
                              >

                              > The voltage does drop quite a bit while transmitting but comes back up. It
                              > is running at 15.8V right now (two 7.2V RC batteries) and when it
                              > transmits it drops to somewhere between 7 and 12V, usually between 10 and
                              > 12V.
                              >
                              > It would appear that RFI is the issue though as moving the antenna on the
                              > other side of a wall seems to have fixed it. I also discovered I was
                              > sometimes getting a bunch of serial data on the port from having waypoints
                              > and monitor turned on, turning those off may have helped also.
                              >
                              > I pretty much have everything working now though. I can read and parse
                              > voltage info, alternate frequencies and beacon out position, voltage and
                              > temp readings from a onewire temp sensor via microcontroller so I'm pretty
                              > happy with it so far.

                            • Steven Heimann
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 1, 2011
                                I haven't followed all of this but up until now my thoughts have
                                definitely been along the lines of voltage sag or RFI.

                                Given the details in your email below could it be a problem with limited
                                buffer in the TNC? Perhaps try temporarily reducing the data payload to
                                5-10 characters and space the packets out well so the buffer can't
                                overflow and see if that has an impact on how long it runs before dying.

                                Regards
                                Steven VK2BOS

                                On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 23:36 +0000, pb648174 wrote:

                                > Here is a picture of my current setup. Admittedly not the prettiest
                                > setup but hopefully nothing preventing it from working.
                                >
                                > http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m618/kf5jsj/IMG_1414.jpg
                                >
                                > I put ferrite cores in multiple places, two on each side of the
                                > transmit antenna and one on the serial cable leading to the micro
                                > controller. The electrical taped area is the GPS. The thing stuck into
                                > the carboard is a serial camera, the red board next to the micro
                                > controller is a TTL to RS232 converter.
                                >
                                > Everything works mostly ok except after 6-10 transmissions the T2-301
                                > stops sending beacon requests though it does respond appropriately
                                > with cmd:, and echoes back the beacon command correctly.
                                >
                                > What I'm doing is taking a picture with the camera, base64 encoding it
                                > and trying to beacon out the pieces in 50 character increments. So the
                                > micro controller keeps happily sending beacon commands but they just
                                > aren't sent by the tracker after a few beacon commands.
                                >
                                > Any suggestions?
                                >
                                > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, djhuff@... wrote:
                                > >
                                > > If it is a RFI issue, I also recommend ferrites and good cable
                                > shielding.
                                > > I found putting a single ferrite over the cable, right next to the
                                > radio
                                > > helped me solve my RF issue. The radio has the data port right next
                                > > the antenna, which will induce RF into the serial lines, especially
                                > on a
                                > > home made cable.
                                > > Dave W0IM
                                > >

                                > > From: "pb648174" <yahoo@...>
                                > > To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
                                > > Date: 02/22/2011 02:02 PM
                                > > Subject: [tracker2] Re: T2-301 command port shutting down after
                                > > transmitting
                                > > Sent by: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
                                > >

                                > > The voltage does drop quite a bit while transmitting but comes back
                                > up. It
                                > > is running at 15.8V right now (two 7.2V RC batteries) and when it
                                > > transmits it drops to somewhere between 7 and 12V, usually between
                                > 10 and
                                > > 12V.
                                > >
                                > > It would appear that RFI is the issue though as moving the antenna
                                > on the
                                > > other side of a wall seems to have fixed it. I also discovered I
                                > was
                                > > sometimes getting a bunch of serial data on the port from having
                                > waypoints
                                > > and monitor turned on, turning those off may have helped also.
                                > >
                                > > I pretty much have everything working now though. I can read and
                                > parse
                                > > voltage info, alternate frequencies and beacon out position, voltage
                                > and
                                > > temp readings from a onewire temp sensor via microcontroller so I'm
                                > pretty
                                > > happy with it so far.

                              • pb648174
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 2, 2011
                                  How large is the buffer size?

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 2, 2011
                                    From the command prompt, converse mode, or KISS?

                                    Scott

                                    On 3/2/2011 5:13 AM, pb648174 wrote:
                                    > How large is the buffer size?

                                    > Steven Heimann <vk2bos.lists@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > I haven't followed all of this but up until now my thoughts have
                                    > > definitely been along the lines of voltage sag or RFI.
                                    > >
                                    > > Given the details in your email below could it be a problem with limited
                                    > > buffer in the TNC? Perhaps try temporarily reducing the data payload to
                                    > > 5-10 characters and space the packets out well so the buffer can't
                                    > > overflow and see if that has an impact on how long it runs before dying.
                                    > >
                                    > > Regards
                                    > > Steven VK2BOS
                                    > >
                                    > > On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 23:36 +0000, pb648174 wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Here is a picture of my current setup. Admittedly not the prettiest
                                    > > > setup but hopefully nothing preventing it from working.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m618/kf5jsj/IMG_1414.jpg
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I put ferrite cores in multiple places, two on each side of the
                                    > > > transmit antenna and one on the serial cable leading to the micro
                                    > > > controller. The electrical taped area is the GPS. The thing stuck into
                                    > > > the carboard is a serial camera, the red board next to the micro
                                    > > > controller is a TTL to RS232 converter.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Everything works mostly ok except after 6-10 transmissions the T2-301
                                    > > > stops sending beacon requests though it does respond appropriately
                                    > > > with cmd:, and echoes back the beacon command correctly.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > What I'm doing is taking a picture with the camera, base64 encoding it
                                    > > > and trying to beacon out the pieces in 50 character increments. So the
                                    > > > micro controller keeps happily sending beacon commands but they just
                                    > > > aren't sent by the tracker after a few beacon commands.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Any suggestions?
                                    > > >
                                    > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com

                                    > > > shielding.
                                    > > > radio
                                    > > > on a

                                    > > > up. It
                                    > > > 10 and

                                    > > > on the
                                    > > > was
                                    > > > waypoints

                                    > > > parse
                                    > > > and
                                    > > > pretty

                                  • pb648174
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 2, 2011
                                      From the command prompt and converse mode would be good to know, I'm going to try converse mode next. I was able to get it working with beaconing by putting in a 1.5s delay between beacons, arrived at by trial and error.

                                      > From the command prompt, converse mode, or KISS?
                                      >
                                      > Scott
                                      >
                                      > On 3/2/2011 5:13 AM, pb648174 wrote:
                                      > > How large is the buffer size?

                                      > > Steven Heimann <vk2bos.lists@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > I haven't followed all of this but up until now my thoughts have
                                      > > > definitely been along the lines of voltage sag or RFI.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Given the details in your email below could it be a problem with limited
                                      > > > buffer in the TNC? Perhaps try temporarily reducing the data payload to
                                      > > > 5-10 characters and space the packets out well so the buffer can't
                                      > > > overflow and see if that has an impact on how long it runs before dying.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Regards
                                      > > > Steven VK2BOS

                                    • pb648174
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 2, 2011
                                        Seems like 2s is a better time and sending CONVERSE via BEACON doesn't seem to make much difference. I have it working fairly well sending small picture sizes around 2K.

                                        Is there a command I can send to detect if the device is getting overloaded without just waiting and hoping it is long enough before sending more info?

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Mar 2, 2011
                                          I would start by setting QUIET to 0, especially if you're going to be
                                          working at altitude. That way you know the tracker won't be sitting on
                                          an outgoing packet while it waits for the channel to be clear.

                                          Maximum packet size should be 255 bytes for KISS, and around 80 for
                                          converse mode. The exact value has been tweaked from version to version.

                                          Scott