Re: [tracker2] Argent communication

  • VE3ID
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 12, 2011
      I too have nothing but praise for Scott.  When one of my units failed, I shipped it by next-day courier to him from Canada. Some idiot at the border demanded a form be signed by him, and Scott patiently filled it in and sent it to me to submit to customs.  By the time he got the unit, three weeks had passed and I had initiated a trace with the courier.

      The next part is good:

      Scott had fixed it and given me a return shipment tracking number HOURS BEFORE MY COURIER'S TRACER SAID IT HAD BEEN DELIVERED TO HIM!

      It's a pity there aren't more people like Scott, especially in customs!

      73
      Nigel
      VE3ID

      On 12/02/11 15:10, Teddy Banks wrote:

      I can certainly attest to the excellent  customer service, he gets 5+ in my book. KC0WNY

      On 2/12/2011 1:36 PM, Hank Lambert wrote:

      Scott provides some of the best customer service I have seen. He monitors this group and his other group regularly, and provides very fast response. If people are having problems, he even offers to have them send the units to him and he fixes them. I am sure there is a reasonable explanation for not getting a response.

      73,

      Hank Lambert

      KB4MTO/TA5ZC

      hank@...

      kb4mto@...

      www.hanklambert.com

      PGP Key: 0x96D33D71

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 12, 2011

        Russell,

        I too have suffered communication woes with Argent Data/Scott. I’ve seen Scott post here every day, while my emails go unanswered for days.

        However, with that said, once Scott does respond, you get great service.

        I know it can be frustrating…especially when you have a problem, or want to purchase something, but hang in there.

        And hopefully Scott will not take this as an attack…it is not, rather, constructive criticism.

        73,

        -Chris

        ________________

        Christopher K. Greenhalgh N8WCT

        www.n8wct.com

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 12, 2011
          This diagram for the FT-90 should work.

          The power pole connection is for powering the OT. Be sure and set the internal OT jumper for 12 volts. If you only need to power the OT then jumper J1-3 to P1-7. You also have to set the FT-90 for packet.

          73, John
          John Galvin - N5TIM
          jrgalvin2@...
          www.n5tim.info - For Public Service & EmCom Information

          JUNK - Stuff we throw away ... STUFF - junk we keep.

          On 2/12/2011 13:36, RussellD wrote:

          Thanks Randy. I will continue to wait and be a patient man.

          Russ, KB6YAF

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 12, 2011
            Hi Russell,

            Have you checked your spam folder? I've sent two emails to you in the
            past week, the latest after I got your voicemail messages while I was at
            the electronics expo in Anaheim.

            Scott

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 12, 2011
              Normally I try my best not to let anything sit unanswered in my inbox
              overnight. Lately we've been having a lot of trouble with Yahoo mail
              users in particular - Yahoo seems to have blacklisted the net block that
              our server lives on, and I haven't had any luck getting them to unblock
              it. Only it's intermittent - not everything gets blocked, and the stuff
              that does doesn't result in a bounce message for 3 days. It's
              frustrating. I'm having to reply to Yahoo users through gmail.

              As for the phone, we're in the office by 9 or 10 AM (Pacific) weekdays,
              until 5 PM. Sometimes we leave for lunch. If I'm in the office I
              answer the phone, so if you call during business hours you're almost
              guaranteed to get me.

              Most often I'll respond to voice mail in email if I'm able, because it's
              easier to answer outside of business hours, there's no playing phone
              tag, and customers call from time zones all over the world.

              If your call goes straight to voice mail, I'm already on a call. If
              you're in a hurry, the best thing to do is to call back in a few
              minutes. Sometimes it's just bad luck - I had someone call 3 or 4 times
              in a row and miss me because I was on another call or because I was at
              lunch. There are only two of us in the office full time, so that's
              going to happen from time to time.

              Scott

              On 2/12/2011 12:43 PM, Christopher K. Greenhalgh wrote:
              > Russell,
              >
              > I too have suffered communication woes with Argent Data/Scott. I’ve seen
              > Scott post here every day, while my emails go unanswered for days.
              >
              > However, with that said, once Scott does respond, you get great service.
              >
              > I know it can be frustrating…especially when you have a problem, or want
              > to purchase something, but hang in there.
              >
              > And hopefully Scott will not take this as an attack…it is not, rather,
              > constructive criticism.
              >
              > 73,
              >
              > -Chris
              >
              > ________________
              >
              > Christopher K. Greenhalgh N8WCT
              >
              > www.n8wct.com

            • Russell Decker
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 12, 2011
                Scott,

                Thanks for your email. As a Mac user, I really don't know where to look for 'spam'.

                I am interested in purchasing the OT2m so that I can get back into APRS. I guess
                you could say that I am an 'old-timer' because when I used to run APRS, I did it
                with my Kantronics KAM, radio, computer etc. My how times have changed.

                After attending the Quartzfest Ham gathering a few weeks ago, my interest in
                APRS was re ignited when I heard Omer, KI6JNY give a talk on APRS and the
                equipment you needed. Since then, I located and bought a Garmin Nuvi 350
                off of the internet. For my radio, I have several options. I would really like to
                use my Yaesu FT-90 Micro Dual band Mobile radio, but if that isn't easily feasible,
                I can use my Yaesu VX-5 handheld HT. I need to know exactly which cable to
                buy from you from the Garmin 350 to the OT2m, and the radio to the OT2m.

                I just wanted to talk to you or someone at Argent Data Systems before I ordered
                so I wouldn't have to go through the 'send it back' routine.

                Thanks Scott. The people on the Yahoo group speak highly of you.

                73,

                Russell Decker, KB6YAF
                kb6yaf@...

              • RussellD
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 12, 2011
                  I am in communication with Scott at Argent. Thanks for all of the encouragement.

                  Russell, KB6YAF

                  --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "RussellD" <kb6yaf@...> wrote:

                  > I am a newbie to this group and am wondering if anyone else has had problems communicating with the people at Argent Data Systems?
                  >
                  > I have send 3 emails, and left a voice mail on their phone system, and have had NO response.
                  >
                  > After hearing a great presentation at Quartzfest, I am trying to put together all of the necessary items to create my own APRS mobile station. I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 coming in the mail and plan to marry it up with an OT2m. I want to use my Yaesu FT-90 Micro-Dual band mobile rig for the radio and need to know what cabling I need for both from Argent. Right now, I am leery about ordering from them if they don't communicate well.
                  >
                  > Russell, KB6YAF

                • nb7o
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 13, 2011
                    Hi Russ,

                    Unfortunately some health issues kept us from going to Quartzfest in person this year. If you were at the firepit for the RV Tales then at least you were able to hear K7MGO give her tale of RV dump stations. If you monitored the simplex frequency you surely heard my call a few times as I was able to talk to friends via the echolink that was set up down there.

                    Last year I gave a presentation on the OT2m and the T2-135 at Quartzfest. I was scheduled for presentations this year too. However, you will have to come back next year to hear those.

                    After the presentation last year Scott got quite a few orders and he helped many operators extensively. I do not believe that you will need to worry. Also, do not be afraid to ask questions in this forum. You will find many operators here with great advice and personal experiences to draw from.

                    Seven three de Kevin/NB7O
                    ORARES SEC