Debugging GPS data received with FC-301D

  • pb648174
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 9, 2011
      Is there any option to enable to see the GPS data coming in? I currently have a GT-320FW GPS receiver with the power and ground coming from the radio cable with the white cable from the GPS (RS232 out) going to pin 1 (Port B in) on the device. I have POSITION GPS set on the radio via the console and the interval set to 20 seconds. If I manually set the position via POSITION x y then it does transmit ok but with POSITION GPS turned on I never get a transmission. The GPS light blinks red maybe every 2 or 3 seconds and then after a while it blinks faster, perhaps every half or 1 second.
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 9, 2011
        Yes, the SNOOP command will let you watch the data on port B.

        Scott

        On 2/9/2011 10:43 AM, pb648174 wrote:
        > Is there any option to enable to see the GPS data coming in? I currently
        > have a GT-320FW GPS receiver with the power and ground coming from the
        > radio cable with the white cable from the GPS (RS232 out) going to pin 1
        > (Port B in) on the device. I have POSITION GPS set on the radio via the
        > console and the interval set to 20 seconds. If I manually set the
        > position via POSITION x y then it does transmit ok but with POSITION GPS
        > turned on I never get a transmission. The GPS light blinks red maybe
        > every 2 or 3 seconds and then after a while it blinks faster, perhaps
        > every half or 1 second.

      • pb648174
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 10, 2011
          I don't see any snoop commands in the manual or the help list from the device and I tried the below all to no avail.

          Argent Data Systems Tracker2 Firmware Build 54746
          Copyright (C) 2006-2009 - All Rights Reserved

          cmd:
          cmd:snoop
          Invalid Command
          cmd:snoop portb
          Invalid Command
          cmd:snoopb
          Invalid Command
          cmd:bsnoop
          Invalid Command
          cmd:
          cmd:

          That being said, I did get it working. The port b was set to flow instead of auto and the GPS was getting a signal for a little bit then losing it so the beacon wasn't being displayed (figured out by using dump command and seeing it did get a good reading at one point). So I set the AUTOSAVE to on and now it is working.

          > Yes, the SNOOP command will let you watch the data on port B.
          >
          > Scott
          >
          > On 2/9/2011 10:43 AM, pb648174 wrote:
          > > Is there any option to enable to see the GPS data coming in? I currently
          > > have a GT-320FW GPS receiver with the power and ground coming from the
          > > radio cable with the white cable from the GPS (RS232 out) going to pin 1
          > > (Port B in) on the device. I have POSITION GPS set on the radio via the
          > > console and the interval set to 20 seconds. If I manually set the
          > > position via POSITION x y then it does transmit ok but with POSITION GPS
          > > turned on I never get a transmission. The GPS light blinks red maybe
          > > every 2 or 3 seconds and then after a while it blinks faster, perhaps
          > > every half or 1 second.

        • Rudy Benner
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 10, 2011
            Do you have the latest BUILD of the firmware installed? Remember to backup your configuration before updating the firmware.

            -22 F in Balmy Timmins Ontario

            VE3BDR

            --- In mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

            > Yes, the SNOOP command
            will let you watch the data on port B.

            > Scott
            >
            > On 2/9/2011 10:43 AM, pb648174 wrote:
            > > Is there any option to enable to see the GPS data coming in? I currently
            > > have a GT-320FW GPS receiver with the power and ground coming from the
            > > radio cable with the white cable from the GPS (RS232 out) going to pin 1
            > > (Port B in) on the device. I have POSITION GPS set on the radio via the
            > > console and the interval set to 20 seconds. If I manually set the
            > > position via POSITION x y then it does transmit ok but with POSITION GPS
            > > turned on I never get a transmission. The GPS light blinks red maybe
            > > every 2 or 3 seconds and then after a while it blinks faster, perhaps
            > > every half or 1 second.

          • pb648174
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 10, 2011
              Apparently not. I just ordered this last week from argent and the latest firmware was made in 2009 so it was shipped with an older firmware. But from looking at the change log at http://www.argentdata.com/support/tracker2.html it appears the SNOOP command was the last thing added on 9/2/2009. I do have the EXTTEMP command so I'm probably on the 6/10/2009 version for some reason. I'm probably not going to update just for that unless I have other issues. Thanks for the tip though.