T2-135 - How to reset?

  • Gary Sanders
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7, 2011
      I have a T2-135 in my radio and connected to my Garmin 350, and had it
      apparently working for a few minutes. Now for some reason the 350 can't
      talk to the T2-135. Sending a "--version" message initially would
      display the Build number. Now, I just see "sending"

      I'll save the troubleshooting for later. The initial problem I need to
      deal with is how to get the T2-135 out of Garmin mode and back into Auto
      mode. When it was working, I could just switch it back by sending
      "--amode auto" and it would switch. Now, of course, that no longer works.

      I've tried to use the config program, and it can't communicate with the
      T2-135 either.

      The config program was downloaded and the firmware was updated on the
      T2-135 within the last few weeks. Of course, I can't tell you the build
      number because I can't talk to it :).

      My 2 basic questions for right now:

      1) Is there a hardware reset somewhere that will reinitialize the
      firmware to factory default? I didn't see one in the manual or on the
      schematic.

      2) Should I be able to communicate with and recover the T2-135 using the
      config program when it's in Garmin mode? When it worked, I was able to
      communicate with it as long as it was in Auto mode, but not when it was
      in Garmin mode. And of course, now it's locked it Garmin mode.

      I'm sure I'll have several other questions as troubleshooting
      progresses, but for now I need to determine if the T2-135 still works in
      auto mode.

      Hope all of this makes sense.

      Gary Sanders
      WB0BZR
    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 7, 2011
        Gary WB0BZR wrote...

        > I have a T2-135 in my radio and connected to my Garmin 350, and had it
        > apparently working for a few minutes. Now for some reason the 350 can't
        > talk to the T2-135...

        > I've tried to use the config program, and it can't communicate with the
        > T2-135 either.

        The config program should be able to communicate with it. There must
        be some kind of a problem.

        > 1) Is there a hardware reset somewhere that will reinitialize the
        > firmware to factory default? I didn't see one in the manual or on the
        > schematic.

        No, there isn't a reset. The closest thing there is to a reset is to re-load
        the firmware.

        > 2) Should I be able to communicate with and recover the T2-135 using the
        > config program when it's in Garmin mode?

        Yes, you should be able to communicate with it with otwincfg.exe. You could
        pop the lid and make sure the connectors are all plugged in OK. Presumably
        the radio is in "digital" mode.

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 8, 2011
          There's no hardware reset, but you should be able to run the config
          program. You'll probably need to power cycle the radio after you hit
          the 'connect' button, though.

          If that's not working, can you open up the radio and see if the LEDs on
          the T2-135 board are blinking when it powers on?

          Scott

          On 2/7/2011 9:03 PM, Gary Sanders wrote:
          > I have a T2-135 in my radio and connected to my Garmin 350, and had it
          > apparently working for a few minutes. Now for some reason the 350 can't
          > talk to the T2-135. Sending a "--version" message initially would
          > display the Build number. Now, I just see "sending"
          >
          > I'll save the troubleshooting for later. The initial problem I need to
          > deal with is how to get the T2-135 out of Garmin mode and back into Auto
          > mode. When it was working, I could just switch it back by sending
          > "--amode auto" and it would switch. Now, of course, that no longer works.
          >
          > I've tried to use the config program, and it can't communicate with the
          > T2-135 either.
          >
          > The config program was downloaded and the firmware was updated on the
          > T2-135 within the last few weeks. Of course, I can't tell you the build
          > number because I can't talk to it :).
          >
          > My 2 basic questions for right now:
          >
          > 1) Is there a hardware reset somewhere that will reinitialize the
          > firmware to factory default? I didn't see one in the manual or on the
          > schematic.
          >
          > 2) Should I be able to communicate with and recover the T2-135 using the
          > config program when it's in Garmin mode? When it worked, I was able to
          > communicate with it as long as it was in Auto mode, but not when it was
          > in Garmin mode. And of course, now it's locked it Garmin mode.
          >
          > I'm sure I'll have several other questions as troubleshooting
          > progresses, but for now I need to determine if the T2-135 still works in
          > auto mode.
          >
          > Hope all of this makes sense.
          >
          > Gary Sanders
          > WB0BZR

        • Woody
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 8, 2011
            Ditto on opening it up and taking a look. The connector from the t2-135 to the radio came loose on mine and it stopped working. Plugged it back in and it was good as new.. I noticed that the connectors aren't exactly the same.. so the clip that would normally hold it in is in the wrong place.. I am considering putting a dab of hot glue or something on mine to keep the connector from coming out.. (Unless someone has a better suggestion)

            Mike - K6MAW

            > There's no hardware reset, but you should be able to run the config
            > program. You'll probably need to power cycle the radio after you hit
            > the 'connect' button, though.
            >
            > If that's not working, can you open up the radio and see if the LEDs on
            > the T2-135 board are blinking when it powers on?
            >
            > Scott
            >
            > On 2/7/2011 9:03 PM, Gary Sanders wrote:
            > > I have a T2-135 in my radio and connected to my Garmin 350, and had it
            > > apparently working for a few minutes. Now for some reason the 350 can't
            > > talk to the T2-135. Sending a "--version" message initially would
            > > display the Build number. Now, I just see "sending"
            > >
            > > I'll save the troubleshooting for later. The initial problem I need to
            > > deal with is how to get the T2-135 out of Garmin mode and back into Auto
            > > mode. When it was working, I could just switch it back by sending
            > > "--amode auto" and it would switch. Now, of course, that no longer works.
            > >
            > > I've tried to use the config program, and it can't communicate with the
            > > T2-135 either.
            > >
            > > The config program was downloaded and the firmware was updated on the
            > > T2-135 within the last few weeks. Of course, I can't tell you the build
            > > number because I can't talk to it :).
            > >
            > > My 2 basic questions for right now:
            > >
            > > 1) Is there a hardware reset somewhere that will reinitialize the
            > > firmware to factory default? I didn't see one in the manual or on the
            > > schematic.
            > >
            > > 2) Should I be able to communicate with and recover the T2-135 using the
            > > config program when it's in Garmin mode? When it worked, I was able to
            > > communicate with it as long as it was in Auto mode, but not when it was
            > > in Garmin mode. And of course, now it's locked it Garmin mode.
            > >
            > > I'm sure I'll have several other questions as troubleshooting
            > > progresses, but for now I need to determine if the T2-135 still works in
            > > auto mode.
            > >
            > > Hope all of this makes sense.
            > >
            > > Gary Sanders
            > > WB0BZR

          • Gary Sanders
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 8, 2011
              Keith, Scott and Mike, thanks for the suggestions. When I pulled the
              cover, I discovered the connector from the DB9 to the T2-135 was loose
              in the socket. I reconnected it and regained (some) connectivity.

              Both LED's do blink when the power is applied.

              Mike, I like the idea of hot-melt glue on the connector - the kind I
              have can be peeled off pretty easily, so it could be undone at any time,
              but should hold against vibration, etc.

              I said (some) connectivity, because getting the config program to
              connect to the T2 and display the config screen is tenuous at best. It
              seems that it will connect maybe 1 time out of 10 attempts. I'm using a
              laptop with a built-in RS-232 port (IBM T30). I also tried with a USB to
              serial converter on the laptop that uses a FTDI chip that's never failed
              to connect to anything that I've thrown at it. (And that's been quite a
              lot!).

              I've tried power cycling the radio, both using the ON/OFF button on the
              radio, and pulling the power connector, and it doesn't make any
              difference. The message I get is "Can't open port" or similar.

              Any thoughts?

              Gary Sanders
              WB0BZR

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 14, 2011
                Make sure you've got the latest otwincfg - it fixes a couple of glitches
                that can cause the port to get stuck open.

                Also, try it with the 'disable turbo' checkbox on. Sometimes the DR-135
                wiring seems to be kind of marginal at 115200 baud.

                Scott