Converting d-sub GTRANS to Kenwood

  • gerrykav
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1 8:22 AM
      I recently supplemented my ARPS setup with a Kenwood TM D710. My T2 is currently doing digi duties on top of a building, and as such, my GTRANS cable is surplus to requirements.

      Would it be possible to convert it to the Kenwood connector, preferably non-destructively, as I do intend to retrieve the T2 at some stage.

      Thanks
      Gerry EI8DRB
    • Jason KG4WSV
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1 8:33 AM
        On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 10:22 AM, gerrykav <gerryk777@...> wrote:
        > Would it be possible to convert it to the Kenwood connector, preferably non-destructively, as I do intend to retrieve the T2 at some stage.

        I would guess it would be as simple as making a 3 wire DB9-2.5mm
        stereo cable to adapt the physical connection. A "standard" Kenwood
        GPS cable should do the trick.

        -Jason
        kg4wsv
      • Larry Simon
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1 8:38 AM
          ---- Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv@...> wrote:
          > On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 10:22 AM, gerrykav <gerryk777@...> wrote:
          > > Would it be possible to convert it to the Kenwood connector, preferably non-destructively, as I do intend to retrieve the T2 at some stage.
          >
          > I would guess it would be as simple as making a 3 wire DB9-2.5mm
          > stereo cable to adapt the physical connection. A "standard" Kenwood
          > GPS cable should do the trick.
          >
          > -Jason
          > kg4wsv

          This is how I have mine setup and it works fine.
          --
          Larry Simon
          KC7QJO
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1 3:21 PM
            Thanks, I thought that might be the case.
            Now... I don't suppose anyone has the pinout off the top of their heads? I did have a look around and couldn't find any reference to it.
            regards
            Gerry EI8DRB

            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Larry Simon <kc7qjo@...> wrote:

            > ---- Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv@...> wrote:
            > > On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 10:22 AM, gerrykav <gerryk777@...> wrote:
            > > > Would it be possible to convert it to the Kenwood connector, preferably non-destructively, as I do intend to retrieve the T2 at some stage.
            > >
            > > I would guess it would be as simple as making a 3 wire DB9-2.5mm
            > > stereo cable to adapt the physical connection. A "standard" Kenwood
            > > GPS cable should do the trick.
            > >
            > > -Jason
            > > kg4wsv
            >
            > This is how I have mine setup and it works fine.
            > --
            > Larry Simon
            > KC7QJO

          • Kent
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1 3:32 PM
              Pins 2,3 and pin 5 is ground barrel

              On Feb 1, 2011, at 18:21, "gerrykav" <gerryk777@...> wrote:

              Thanks, I thought that might be the case.
              Now... I don't suppose anyone has the pinout off the top of their heads? I did have a look around and couldn't find any reference to it.
              regards
              Gerry EI8DRB

              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Larry Simon <kc7qjo@...> wrote:

              > ---- Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv@...> wrote:
              > > On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 10:22 AM, gerrykav <gerryk777@...> wrote:
              > > > Would it be possible to convert it to the Kenwood connector, preferably non-destructively, as I do intend to retrieve the T2 at some stage.
              > >
              > > I would guess it would be as simple as making a 3 wire DB9-2.5mm
              > > stereo cable to adapt the physical connection. A "standard" Kenwood
              > > GPS cable should do the trick.
              > >
              > > -Jason
              > > kg4wsv
              >
              > This is how I have mine setup and it works fine.
              > --
              > Larry Simon
              > KC7QJO

            • gerrykav