Problem with FC301-D ( VHF ) and new switches

  • Klaus
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 28, 2011
      Hello,
      there is a problem with configuring my new FC301-D ( VHF ).
      With using Quickset v3.0 it's possible to read data like: model, hardware and firmware version as well as changing settings for squelch level, bandwith aso., but it's impossible to read and store frequency data.

      Instead of ONE internal switch for selecting between DATA and MIC-IN with the old version, now there are three switches S1-S3 ( see http://www.kh-gps.de/fc-301.gif ), but NOWHERE i could find any information on it's functions. Who can help?

      73 de Klaus, DJ7OO
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 28, 2011
        I have yet to get the details of the functions of S1-S3, but they should
        be set like the two jumpers on the older models - all in the same
        position, for data or voice.

        What happens when you try changing the frequency data? Can you try
        setting your locale to one that uses . as the decimal separator rather
        than ,?

        Scott

        On 1/28/2011 8:27 AM, Klaus wrote:
        > Hello,
        > there is a problem with configuring my new FC301-D ( VHF ).
        > With using Quickset v3.0 it's possible to read data like: model,
        > hardware and firmware version as well as changing settings for squelch
        > level, bandwith aso., but it's impossible to read and store frequency data.
        >
        > Instead of ONE internal switch for selecting between DATA and MIC-IN
        > with the old version, now there are three switches S1-S3 ( see
        > http://www.kh-gps.de/fc-301.gif ), but NOWHERE i could find any
        > information on it's functions. Who can help?
        >
        > 73 de Klaus, DJ7OO

      • Klaus
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 28, 2011
          > I have yet to get the details of the functions of S1-S3, but they
          > should be set like the two jumpers on the older models - all in the
          > same position, for data or voice.

          OK, so i will try to find out, wheather positions seen on picture are for voice or data.

          > What happens when you try changing the frequency data? Can you try
          > setting your locale to one that uses . as the decimal separator
          > rather than ,?

          At first i did use , but also after changing to . there was no success.

          What i else did, was trying the old configuration software version. By using it, i could read some frequencies ( from factory ? ) being around 164 Mhz, but i did not manage to store my selection.

          73 de Klaus, DJ7OO

          > Scott
          >

          > On 1/28/2011 8:27 AM, Klaus wrote:
          > > Hello,
          > > there is a problem with configuring my new FC301-D ( VHF ).
          > > With using Quickset v3.0 it's possible to read data like: model,
          > > hardware and firmware version as well as changing settings for squelch
          > > level, bandwith aso., but it's impossible to read and store frequency data.
          > >
          > > Instead of ONE internal switch for selecting between DATA and MIC-IN
          > > with the old version, now there are three switches S1-S3 ( see
          > > http://www.kh-gps.de/fc-301.gif ), but NOWHERE i could find any
          > > information on it's functions. Who can help?
          > >
          > > 73 de Klaus, DJ7OO

        • Michel Garel
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 28, 2011
            Hello Scott,

            seems he have same problems i have had...and never resolve..

            Just send my FC-301 to Friencom, and they sent me a progarmmes as i want.

            Kind regards.

            Michel F5YH Marseille...

            >I have yet to get the details of the functions of S1-S3, but they should
            > be set like the two jumpers on the older models - all in the same
            > position, for data or voice.
            >
            > What happens when you try changing the frequency data? Can you try
            > setting your locale to one that uses . as the decimal separator rather
            > than ,?
            >
            > Scott
            >

            > On 1/28/2011 8:27 AM, Klaus wrote:
            >> Hello,
            >> there is a problem with configuring my new FC301-D ( VHF ).
            >> With using Quickset v3.0 it's possible to read data like: model,
            >> hardware and firmware version as well as changing settings for squelch
            >> level, bandwith aso., but it's impossible to read and store frequency
            >> data.
            >>
            >> Instead of ONE internal switch for selecting between DATA and MIC-IN
            >> with the old version, now there are three switches S1-S3 ( see
            >> http://www.kh-gps.de/fc-301.gif ), but NOWHERE i could find any
            >> information on it's functions. Who can help?
            >>
            >> 73 de Klaus, DJ7OO

          • Klaus
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 28, 2011
              Hello Michel and Scott

              > seems he have same problems i have had...and never resolve..
              >
              > Just send my FC-301 to Friencom, and they sent me a progarmmes as i want.

              After going a little bit deeper into circuit diagram, configuration procedure should have nothing to do with those S1-S3 switch positions. After yellow wire of programming cable is grounded, there is direct communication with ATMEGA48 processor and after some commands are working fine, bidirectional communication in general seems to work.
              First tests had been made with using a Vista PC. Results were totally negative. Next i did try two different PC's running under XP. Now at least some basic communication like reading firmware version aso. was possible.
              Besides i did try two different versions of Serial to USB adapter, maybe it's a ( timing- ) problem. So the only idea i have in the moment is going to a friend still using an old PC with good old RS232 connector.
              I still hope, there is a better ( or easier ) way than sending the radio to China.

              73 de Klaus, DJ7OO

              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 28, 2011
                Right, the jumpers only affect things like pre/de-emphasis, they have no
                relation to programming. Only the yellow wire matters for that.

                I'm still not clear what's happening when you try to save a frequency.
                Do you get an error message? What happens?

                Scott

              • Klaus
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 28, 2011

                  > I'm still not clear what's happening when you try to save a
                  > frequency. Do you get an error message? What happens?

                  After pushing the SEND button NOTHING happens .... no error message .... absulutely NOTHING.

                  When pushing the READ button, there only is a refresh of radio version data aso. in grey window.

                  In case you are not having any problems over there, maybe it's a problem of our European versions of Windows OS.
                  Maybe sequence of entered characters somehow is different. Until now i only did change the "," against "." , but i also could try bringing Windows totally into US-Mode and see what happens.
                  Also comparison of HEX dumbs of entered character sequences could bring some progress.

                  73 de Klaus, DJ7OO

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 28, 2011
                    Yes, please try US for your locale, let me know what happens.

                    Scott

                  • Al Waschka
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 28, 2011
                      Sorry if OT, but I sent an e-mail to the Argent sales address, but so far no response.

                      Could you please describe the status of the Weather Station project?  The site says different things depending on whether one is looking at the components or the complete station.  It looks like you are still shipping v1.1 hardware without backup batery capability; is that correct?  What is current shipping delay for complete station?

                      Thanks,

                      Al

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 28, 2011
                        I answered - maybe bellsouth is blocking us too, now. Our server's
                        netblock seems to be a bad neighborhood.

                        We're on v1.6 for the boards now. We're out of the wind/rain sensors.
                        Unfortunately they didn't get on a ship before the Chinese New Year
                        holiday, so they won't ship for a little while still.

                        Scott

                        On 1/28/2011 1:16 PM, Al Waschka wrote:
                        > Sorry if OT, but I sent an e-mail to the Argent sales address, but so
                        > far no response.
                        > Could you please describe the status of the Weather Station project? The
                        > site says different things depending on whether one is looking at the
                        > components or the complete station. It looks like you are still shipping
                        > v1.1 hardware without backup batery capability; is that correct? What is
                        > current shipping delay for complete station?
                        > Thanks,
                        > Al

                      • Al Waschka
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 28, 2011
                          Does 1.6 have battery backup?

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 28, 2011
                            All of them since I think 1.4 have had a header to plug in a battery.
                            We just haven't been shipping the batteries because complying with the
                            hazmat regulations for shipping lithium batteries is going to take some
                            significant modifications to our system - there are rules governing how
                            many batteries can be shipped by what methods, and it depends on whether
                            they're installed in devices or shipped separately.

                            Scott

                            On 1/28/2011 2:19 PM, Al Waschka wrote:
                            > Does 1.6 have battery backup?
                            >
                            > Sent from my iPhone
                            >
                            > On Jan 28, 2011, at 4:40 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...
                            > <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>> wrote:
                            >
                            > > I answered - maybe bellsouth is blocking us too, now. Our server's
                            > > netblock seems to be a bad neighborhood.
                            > >
                            > > We're on v1.6 for the boards now. We're out of the wind/rain sensors.
                            > > Unfortunately they didn't get on a ship before the Chinese New Year
                            > > holiday, so they won't ship for a little while still.
                            > >
                            > > Scott
                            > >
                            > > On 1/28/2011 1:16 PM, Al Waschka wrote:
                            > >> Sorry if OT, but I sent an e-mail to the Argent sales address, but so
                            > >> far no response.
                            > >> Could you please describe the status of the Weather Station project? The
                            > >> site says different things depending on whether one is looking at the
                            > >> components or the complete station. It looks like you are still shipping
                            > >> v1.1 hardware without backup batery capability; is that correct? What is
                            > >> current shipping delay for complete station?
                            > >> Thanks,
                            > >> Al

                          • Klaus
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 29, 2011
                              Hello Scott

                              > Yes, please try US for your locale, let me know what happens.

                              This did NOT solve the problem.

                              With the old version of configuration software ( V1.0 ) there were two buttons: "Write frequency (q)" and "Read frequency (z)", but NONE of these button can be found on my screen of QUICKSET" ( see: http://www.kh-gps.de/FC301_2.gif ). Botton of page is looking like there could be some hidden buttons, but????
                              What buttons are you using for reading and writing frequency data with your version of QUICKSET and where is it's location on screen?

                              BTW: after typing e.g. short command "q" instead, answer from program was: "q00000" is not a valid integer value!" and "q00000" also did appear in ID window.

                              73 de Klaus, DJ7OO

                              > Scott
                              >
                              > On 1/28/2011 12:42 PM, Klaus wrote:
                              > > Scott
                              > >
                              > > > I'm still not clear what's happening when you try to save a
                              > > > frequency. Do you get an error message? What happens?
                              > >
                              > > After pushing the SEND button NOTHING happens .... no error message ....
                              > > absulutely NOTHING.
                              > >
                              > > When pushing the READ button, there only is a refresh of radio version
                              > > data aso. in grey window.
                              > >
                              > > In case you are not having any problems over there, maybe it's a problem
                              > > of our European versions of Windows OS.
                              > > Maybe sequence of entered characters somehow is different. Until now i
                              > > only did change the "," against "." , but i also could try bringing
                              > > Windows totally into US-Mode and see what happens.
                              > > Also comparison of HEX dumbs of entered character sequences could bring
                              > > some progress.
                              > >
                              > > 73 de Klaus, DJ7OO
                              > >

                              > > > Scott

                              > > i want.

                              > > maybe
                              > > radio

                            • Klaus
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 31, 2011
                                Hello Scott,
                                please, please answer my questions

                                > What buttons are you using for reading and writing frequency data with your version of QUICKSET and where is it's location on screen?

                                > With the old version of configuration software ( V1.0 ) there were two buttons: "Write frequency (q)" and "Read frequency (z)", but NONE of these button can be found on my screen of QUICKSET" ( see: http://www.kh-gps.de/FC301_2.gif ). Botton of page is looking like there could be some hidden buttons, but????

                                As long being in current status, my FC-301D is OBSOLUTELY USELESS!

                                BTW: When i did try sending, there only was some unstable random output around 182 Mhz. So also PLL seems not to lock on e.g. any test frequencies from factory.

                                73 de Klaus, DJ7OO
                              • Jason KG4WSV
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 31, 2011
                                  On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 5:26 AM, Klaus <dj7oo@...> wrote:

                                  >> With the old version of configuration software ( V1.0 ) there were two buttons: "Write frequency (q)" and "Read frequency (z)", but NONE of these button can be found on my screen of QUICKSET" ( see: http://www.kh-gps.de/FC301_2.gif ). Botton of page is looking like there could be some hidden buttons, but????

                                  Have you tried increasing your screen resolution?

                                  -Jason
                                  kg4wsv
                                • Klaus
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jan 31, 2011
                                    Hi Jason

                                    > Have you tried increasing your screen resolution?

                                    I did try, but as long as using my small Netbook, also after increasing screen resolution those buttons never did appear.
                                    Nevertheless your advice was very helpful. I went back using another PC and here immediately i also could see those buttons ( for the first time )!
                                    Somehow i also did manage establishing data contact under VISTA and now FC-301 could be programmed successfully.

                                    So thank you very much for your great help.
                                    73 de Klaus, DJ7OO
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jan 31, 2011
                                      The read and write frequency buttons are at the bottom of the screen in
                                      Quickset. I ran through the procedure a while ago and wrote down my steps:

                                      Yellow wire must be grounded!
                                      Run QuickSet
                                      Click 'Port'
                                      Set port number
                                      Click 'Open'
                                      Click 'Exit'
                                      Click 'Read' in toolbar
                                      Model and hardware/firmware version plus frequency range should appear
                                      Click 'Read' at bottom to read frequencies

                                      Can you try exactly this procedure and send a screen capture of your
                                      results? Then try changing a frequency and hit 'write' at the bottom of
                                      the screen and tell me what happens.

                                      All of the units I've tested (when I've accidentally programmed one
                                      channel and tested another) have had a default frequency. I think it
                                      was 174 MHz, but I'm not certain.

                                      Scott

                                      On 1/31/2011 3:26 AM, Klaus wrote:
                                      > Hello Scott,
                                      > please, please answer my questions
                                      >
                                      > > What buttons are you using for reading and writing frequency data
                                      > with your version of QUICKSET and where is it's location on screen?
                                      >
                                      > > With the old version of configuration software ( V1.0 ) there were
                                      > two buttons: "Write frequency (q)" and "Read frequency (z)", but NONE of
                                      > these button can be found on my screen of QUICKSET" ( see:
                                      > http://www.kh-gps.de/FC301_2.gif ). Botton of page is looking like there
                                      > could be some hidden buttons, but????
                                      >
                                      > As long being in current status, my FC-301D is OBSOLUTELY USELESS!
                                      >
                                      > BTW: When i did try sending, there only was some unstable random output
                                      > around 182 Mhz. So also PLL seems not to lock on e.g. any test
                                      > frequencies from factory.
                                      >
                                      > 73 de Klaus, DJ7OO

                                    • Klaus
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jan 31, 2011
                                        Hello Scott,
                                        your message has overlapped with those i wrote to Jason. Problem is solved meanwhile. It mainly was a matter of unsufficient screen resolution of my small Netbook. So i couldn't see the entire screen ( besides the buttom line of frequency entering window was present ).
                                        Using my XP-Netbook was, because first attempt using QUICKSET under VISTA-PC was negative, but when trying again today, everything did work fine and i could programn the FC-301 as expected.

                                        Thank you for your help

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jan 31, 2011
                                          I've had problems like that on my netbook, too. Glad you got it figured
                                          out.

                                          Scott

                                        • Klaus
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
                                            Hello,
                                            on request FRIENDCOM did send two PDF files. One mainly is describing how to use programming software QuickSet and the other one especially is describing functions of new FC-301D switches S1, S2, S3.
                                            Both will be stored within file section of this forum.

                                            73 de Klaus, DJ7OO
                                          • Klaus
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
                                              > Hello,
                                              > on request FRIENDCOM did send two PDF files. One mainly is describing how to use programming software QuickSet and the other one especially is describing functions of new FC-301D switches S1, S2, S3.
                                              > Both will be stored within file section of this forum.

                                              It's looking like file mentioned first is too big ( ~5Mb ) for being stored within file section, but it can be downloaded here:
                                              http://www.kh-gps.de/fc-301d_user_manual_new.pdf

                                              File regarding the new switches only is around 50Kb and has been downloaded to file section but also is available here.
                                              http://www.kh-gps.de/fc-301d_sw123.pdf

                                              73 de Klaus, DJ7OO
                                            • Bob Burns W9RXR
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
                                                At 05:01 AM 2/2/2011, Klaus wrote:

                                                >It's looking like file mentioned first is too big ( ~5Mb ) for being
                                                >stored within file section, but it can be downloaded here:
                                                >http://www.kh-gps.de/fc-301d_user_manual_new.pdf

                                                Klaus, that files does not appear to be on your site under that name.

                                                Bob...
                                              • Klaus
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
                                                  > Klaus, that files does not appear to be on your site under that name.

                                                  You are right. Maybe it had something to do with too long file name. So i did use a new ( shorter ) name: http://www.kh-gps.de/fc-301d_qs.pdf

                                                  73 de Klaus, DJ7OO