Re: OpenTracker USB released

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 6, 2011

      What was the design goal for this product as it is going off a little different than your past devices?

      One of my fustrations was that since the Garmin Nuvi 350 it has been hard to know how the newer products FMI (fleet management) works with the OT2. I like the function of being able to use one device, ie the Nuvi 350, to do GPS plus then displaying where the units were on the map. It was nice not to have to use a laptop.

      I guess I am looking for something that is more intergrated: TNC, radio and display. I know that Kenwood pushes this with the AVmap products. This is mostly for a mobile application. Home is different with a stand alone TNC and radio. But then the home station has more resources.

      What is the on the drawing board, so to speak?

      N9NWO

      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 6, 2011
        If you want a radio, tnc, gps, and display all in one package, look at
        the Kenwood TH-D72.

        I guess you're looking to get Scott into competition with Kenwood.

        That would be good to have someone pushing Kenwood.

        James

        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 6, 2011

          > What was the design goal for this product as it is going off a little
          > different than your past devices?

          The OTUSB design was mostly an update to keep the OpenTracker line in
          production (at a reasonable cost) while raising the bar for entry-level
          trackers. The JL16 MCUs use an older fabrication process and the price
          keeps going up, and sooner or later Freescale will declare them
          end-of-life and I learned from the OT1 that once that happens, supplies
          can dry up overnight.

          The T2 is also in line for a similar update. I can get a faster MCU
          with more memory for less than half what I'm paying for the AP64.

          Once we get up to speed on OTUSB production and phase out the OT1+ I
          think we'll be able to get the price down to what the OT1+ is selling
          for now.

          So the product lineup will be OTUSB at the low end, where low cost and
          low power consumption are critical, T2 (or maybe it'll be T3, but I
          think that'd cause too much confusion with the TT3) for mid-range digi
          and mobile use, and the high-end DC1 where you need dual radio ports,
          9600 baud, and Ethernet.

          Within those lines there will be a few variants, too - like an
          OTUSB-derived balloon tracker payload and a couple of other
          special-purpose boards.

          Scott
        • Greg
          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 6, 2011
            One of the things that I liked about the OT2 was the ability to work with Garmin Nuvi fleet management (FMI). having one unit that was the GPS and the display was interesting. If anything that I had disliked about APRS was that it needed a PC/laptop to display while mobile until you showed up.

            Of Course now the problem is finding a Nuvi that does fleet management correctly. Just as supplies of the MCUs will dry up, so are Nuvi 350s. BTW, how does the AVmaps work with the Kenwood?

            > > What was the design goal for this product as it is going off a little different than your past devices?
            >
            > The OTUSB design was mostly an update to keep the OpenTracker line in production (at a reasonable cost) while raising the bar for entry-level trackers. The JL16 MCUs use an older fabrication process and the price keeps going up, and sooner or later Freescale will declare them end-of-life and I learned from the OT1 that once that happens, supplies can dry up overnight.
            >
            > The T2 is also in line for a similar update. I can get a faster MCU with more memory for less than half what I'm paying for the AP64.
            >
            > Once we get up to speed on OTUSB production and phase out the OT1+ I think we'll be able to get the price down to what the OT1+ is selling for now.
            >
            > So the product lineup will be OTUSB at the low end, where low cost and low power consumption are critical, T2 (or maybe it'll be T3, but I think that'd cause too much confusion with the TT3) for mid-range digi and mobile use, and the high-end DC1 where you need dual radio ports, 9600 baud, and Ethernet.
            >
            > Within those lines there will be a few variants, too - like an
            > OTUSB-derived balloon tracker payload and a couple of other
            > special-purpose boards.
            >
            > Scott

          • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 6, 2011
              Hook up a Bluetooth to Serial device to your OT2m's KISS port and pair
              it up to APRSISCE (http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/start) running on your
              favorite Windows Mobile (5 or 6) phone. You don't even have to have it
              in cellular service if you pre-load the OpenStreetMaps before sticking
              it in your car.

              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 6, 2011
                The AvMap G5 work just great with the Kenwood line. Plug it in and
                away you go. The OT2 also works quite nicely with the AvMap G5 as
                well.