Re: [tracker2] Aprs mobile,how would you do it???

  • gervais
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 5, 2011
      well
      these are interesting comments that i can read here.
      anyone have ever connected an garmin C330 on an OT1 or T2 ?
      its not new GPS but it is working find
      gervais

      Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 1:21 PM
      Subject: RE: [tracker2] Aprs mobile,how would you do it???

      My not so humble opinion is: suction mounts don't!

      The suction seal always breaks and the hardware attached comes crashing down at the worse possible time.

      As mentioned in a another post, finding a screw that can be used, or replaced with a longer one, that already exist is a great option. Seat bolts, screws under the dash are two places that come to mind.

      Another possible route is through the defroster ducts. I haven't tried it but with Teflon insulation it would be safe. Regular PVC coating probably would not be good enough. It is rated to 85C and the air may be warmer.

      I like your rig. I have wanted one of those for awhile. It is the closest to the 66-77 Broncos but newer. I had a '77 Bronco. My philosophy is different though. I figure if the overall off-road performance could be enhanced, then holes or cutting was necessary. Doing the job right is paramount and it had to look great.

      I used to live in SLC and visited Moab every chance I could and would move there in a heartbeat if I had work and could convince my family. We ran Golden Spike, Moab Rim and countless others in stock trim. My favorite trip was the White Rim Trail. It isn't a difficult trail by any means but the friends with me made for excellent times. I like camping out under the stars away from the town.

      At Christmas, we 'd head into the LaSals for tree hunting. We would bring back 5-7 trees, all in the 10-15' range. One year, it snowed about 18" before we got back down. My wife and passenger were a little tense coming down. That trip was in a Bronco II we used to own. What a fun trip!

      Have fun!

      Best regards,
      Fred

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 9, 2011
        Jeff, that's a really nice installation. I have a 2006 Honda Element and this year I am going to install HF and VHF with dedicated APRS. How and wear to mount the laptop is one of the decisions I have not made yet. Seeing your install has me thinking again.

        Out of curiosity, where did you mount the radios? I am planning an FT-857 for HF and an FT-8800R for VHF/UHF. I am thinking about mounting the radios in the back somewhere with the remote heads up front.

        73,

        Hank Lambert
        KB4MTO/TA5ZC