Re: [tracker2] Aprs mobile,how would you do it???

  • peter.summerhawk@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 3, 2011
      I don't know if anyone is interested but I was going to list my CF-18 Toughbook on eBay that runs XP Pro and its a touch screen. That would be ideal for a small laptop setup for APRS as it does also have a serial port.

      If interested mail me and I will provide information and pictures.

      Peter Summerhawk

      From: "Fred Hillhouse" <fmhillhouse@...>
      Sender: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 13:41:28 -0500
      To: <tracker2@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [tracker2] Aprs mobile,how would you do it???

      Hi Gervais,

      My Corolla has a Compac Armada M300 laptop connected to a OT2. I have not fixed it solidly yet since this is not the laptop of choice yet. This is a bad thing.

      There are a couple of options. First a tablet is available but I have not tried one yet. Finding a Win version (my requirement for APRSIS32) is challenging considering most run MAC or Android.  Here is a possible option:

      I also found that most mounts are not what I need. Most everything extends into the passenger area too far. The Corolla isn't as much of a problem but in my previous vehicle, '77 Bronco, things had to be out of the immediate area of the passenger to keep them and the equipment safe from bumping, etc. Also, make sure they cannot come loose in the event of an accident, including a roll-over. Getting hit by flying parts only makes for laughs around the campfire after the event, but not during or immediately following. In one of the demonstration rides of the HUMVEE in Moab, the vehicle was rolled and the cooler did some passenger smacking. The passenger was a 4x4 journalist that always pushed safety but ignored it that day. Now, he practices his own preaching.

      Best regards,
      Fred

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 3, 2011
        Bonjour Fred,
        well at my job,we are installing PC in our truck,and chrysler van.
        i dont find this secure at all for the driver,i add my argument with some foreman about it so for my radio-amateur need i intend too install it "removable on demand" if you like.

        the best way is to fix it on your way on the seat fixation on the floor.
        i have seen some in the plastic of the dash,,,,,around the coffee support  ,,,,it was weard ,incompetant,and unsecure at all for the driver safety and the co-driver if ever one person would seat there.

        anyway my choice seems to go for the OT2 of Scott because its so little and performant.
        i think i am going to install one here in my garage for test drive.

        i am used to fit things Fred,when i was ,,,,,,,,,younger i even participate in some frendly drag race on a modify bike,
        mine was a mini-trail Z50 from honda withan Elsinore 125 cc engine,,,,,,,,,,,i won some trophees and some plaster too Visage émoticône)))))))))))
        man these days were fun,,,,,,,,,,,today they arrest you drinking your beer on your galery but it is another story.

        thanks fred for the mail
        it is appreciated 100%

        gervais

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 4, 2011
          I'm in the middle of installing a tracker in my Land Rover Defender 90.  It's not a Jeep but has similar space constraint issues.   I'm very particular about my truck and it's taken a long time for me to hunt down what I feel are the perfect components.  If you're interested in the details, read on...

          First off, I'm not going with any sort of computer.  If you take your truck off-road a lot, you'll probably find that computers are distracting and that you need something simpler.  I decided to use the T2-301 for my tracker.  I'm hooking it to my Garmin GPSmap 62st, which I mount to my windshield with the stock suction cup mount.  This truck is very rare and I don't want to drill it if I don't have to.  The T2-301 is going to be mounted in one of the rear storage boxes I built:

          I'm building a bracket and mounting the tracker to a piece of King Starboard on the bottom of the box.  The starboard is routered on the bottom and the cable will be hidden out of sight.  I'll run the gps serial lines under the carpet, through the cab, up behind the dash and out the ashtray to the GPS.  Very clean, no drilling, no wires hanging out.

          The tracker and GPS will be powered with Ancor marine-grade wire, run to a Blue Sea Systems fuse block, each with their own centrally-fused circuit:

          For the antenna, I'm using a Diamond NR72BNMO antenna and Diamond's "skinny" C101 cables.  I find that the skinny cables are a lot easier to route around tight corners.  I chose the shorty 1/4-wave antenna because I think that the broader beam will work better in the mountains and for things like balloon tracking.  I'll mount the antenna on the rear tire carrier, up high.

          Finally, I'm wiring the tracker so that it turns on with the truck's accessory circuit.  I'll put a cut-off switch on the dash (OEM switch, to match the stock switches) to cut the tracker off if I need to.

          Chris NW5W

          On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 12:26 PM, gervais <ve2ckn@...> wrote:

          hi all
          i want to install a Pc Portable in my jeep  and operate Aprs Mobile this way.
          when i want, i could send little text,,and have fun this way too ,,,see where i am on the road ,,,,and use the hobby frequency.

          Scott can it be done with an Opentracker products ??

          thanks and best 2011 in your business and all here in the group.
          gervais ve2ckn

        • Patrick Wood
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 5, 2011
            Every vehicle is different... In my Impala I had an older tablet like these

            http://www.xploretech.com/ProductsSubPages/ix104c4series.html

            In my hatchback which has the same problem as you are having, I used a tracker2 with a nuvi 350, and also put in a Ram computer mount, but modified the floor bolts so they were easily removable..  That way I could keep everything in the car but only install it when needed.

            On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 11:52 PM, Christopher Snell <chris.snell@...> wrote:

[...]

          • Fred Hillhouse
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 5, 2011
              My not so humble opinion is: suction mounts don't!

              The suction seal always breaks and the hardware attached comes crashing down at the worse possible time.

              As mentioned in a another post, finding a screw that can be used, or replaced with a longer one, that already exist is a great option. Seat bolts, screws under the dash are two places that come to mind.

              Another possible route is through the defroster ducts. I haven't tried it but with Teflon insulation it would be safe. Regular PVC coating probably would not be good enough. It is rated to 85C and the air may be warmer.

              I like your rig. I have wanted one of those for awhile. It is the closest to the 66-77 Broncos but newer. I had a '77 Bronco. My philosophy is different though. I figure if the overall off-road performance could be enhanced, then holes or cutting was necessary. Doing the job right is paramount and it had to look great.

              I used to live in SLC and visited Moab every chance I could and would move there in a heartbeat if I had work and could convince my family. We ran Golden Spike, Moab Rim and countless others in stock trim. My favorite trip was the White Rim Trail. It isn't a difficult trail by any means but the friends with me made for excellent times. I like camping out under the stars away from the town.

              At Christmas, we 'd head into the LaSals for tree hunting. We would bring back 5-7 trees, all in the 10-15' range. One year, it snowed about 18" before we got back down. My wife and passenger were a little tense coming down. That trip was in a Bronco II we used to own. What a fun trip!

              Have fun!

              Best regards,
              Fred

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 5, 2011
                well
                these are interesting comments that i can read here.
                anyone have ever connected an garmin C330 on an OT1 or T2 ?
                its not new GPS but it is working find
                gervais

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 9, 2011
                  Jeff, that's a really nice installation. I have a 2006 Honda Element and this year I am going to install HF and VHF with dedicated APRS. How and wear to mount the laptop is one of the decisions I have not made yet. Seeing your install has me thinking again.

                  Out of curiosity, where did you mount the radios? I am planning an FT-857 for HF and an FT-8800R for VHF/UHF. I am thinking about mounting the radios in the back somewhere with the remote heads up front.

                  73,

                  Hank Lambert
                  KB4MTO/TA5ZC