Aprs mobile,how would you do it???

  • gervais
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 2, 2011
      hi all
      i want to install a Pc Portable in my jeep  and operate Aprs Mobile this way.
      when i want, i could send little text,,and have fun this way too ,,,see where i am on the road ,,,,and use the hobby frequency.

      Scott can it be done with an Opentracker products ??

      thanks and best 2011 in your business and all here in the group.
      gervais ve2ckn

    • hamer669@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 2, 2011
        I toyed with the idea of having a laptop in my Jeep. In the end, there just was not enough room.  While thrashing around, the passenger would always get beat up hitting the thing.

        Ultimately, it worked out for me to get the Tracker2 and a Garmin Nuvi 1300 GPS.  I can see APRS objects, and send/receive messages, but it only takes up a few inches of cab space.

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 2, 2011
          I put together something like this:

          Jeff
          K2SDR

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 2, 2011
            Jefff
            where is your transceiver ?
            is this the white thing in your side glass?

            gervais ve2ckn

            Sent: Sunday, January 02, 2011 4:18 PM
            Subject: Re: [tracker2] Aprs mobile,how would you do it???

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 2, 2011
              Actually it is not seen in these photos – I was featuring the car pc.

              I was sending APRS out on a Alinco 135 and viewing live on the
              internet enabled pc in the car.

              Jeff

              Sent: Sunday, January 02, 2011 4:18 PM

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 2, 2011

                Have used and do use an old dell laptop with 12v adapter, T2/Nuvi 350 with A/B port splitter, works super, (A to T2, B to PC). PC works with cell service to igate too.  Took a little configuration, but is rock solid. Got the rugged PC mount and Velcro helps to hold it all in place.  My car does not go offroad like a Jeep J

                John

                Kb4yfk-14

                Williamsburg, VA, USA

                http://www.kb4yfk.com:14439/info.html  home weather station etc…

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 2, 2011

                  It is totally doable in your Jeep, easier in some models than others of course… I would use a laptop on a Ram-Mount, T2 and Nuvi350 with a A/B cable. Hook all this up to a Kenwood TM-D700A or whatever radio you like and you are set.

                  Phil KK6PE

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 2, 2011
                    well Phil
                    yes i knew about little space un the vehicule Visage émoticône))
                    i add fun installing my APRS on it too,

                    but i am working on this install for the next summer time here.
                    now we are in winter ,even if we dont have snow ,,,,,,,today it was 4 celcius when normally we should have -10 + r - .

                    i already have my old ibm ready to roll in the 4x4

                    gervais

                    Sent: Sunday, January 02, 2011 6:36 PM

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 2, 2011
                      well john
                      in fact its a vitara but everyone when they see a 4x4 they always refer too it as a jeep,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yes i know its not a real jeep Visage émoticône

                      gervais

                      so the T2 and the split cable from Scott can do the job?

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 3, 2011
                        " when they see a 4x4 they always refer too it as a jeep"

                        Ummm... not really...

                        Only wannabes.... :)

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 3, 2011
                          Hi Gervais,

                          My Corolla has a Compac Armada M300 laptop connected to a OT2. I have not fixed it solidly yet since this is not the laptop of choice yet. This is a bad thing.

                          There are a couple of options. First a tablet is available but I have not tried one yet. Finding a Win version (my requirement for APRSIS32) is challenging considering most run MAC or Android.  Here is a possible option:

                          I also found that most mounts are not what I need. Most everything extends into the passenger area too far. The Corolla isn't as much of a problem but in my previous vehicle, '77 Bronco, things had to be out of the immediate area of the passenger to keep them and the equipment safe from bumping, etc. Also, make sure they cannot come loose in the event of an accident, including a roll-over. Getting hit by flying parts only makes for laughs around the campfire after the event, but not during or immediately following. In one of the demonstration rides of the HUMVEE in Moab, the vehicle was rolled and the cooler did some passenger smacking. The passenger was a 4x4 journalist that always pushed safety but ignored it that day. Now, he practices his own preaching.

                          Best regards,
                          Fred

                        • peter.summerhawk@gmail.com
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 3, 2011
                            I don't know if anyone is interested but I was going to list my CF-18 Toughbook on eBay that runs XP Pro and its a touch screen. That would be ideal for a small laptop setup for APRS as it does also have a serial port.

                            If interested mail me and I will provide information and pictures.

                            Peter Summerhawk

                            From: "Fred Hillhouse" <fmhillhouse@...>
                            Sender: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
                            Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 13:41:28 -0500
                            To: <tracker2@yahoogroups.com>
                            ReplyTo: tracker2@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 3, 2011
                              Bonjour Fred,
                              well at my job,we are installing PC in our truck,and chrysler van.
                              i dont find this secure at all for the driver,i add my argument with some foreman about it so for my radio-amateur need i intend too install it "removable on demand" if you like.

                              the best way is to fix it on your way on the seat fixation on the floor.
                              i have seen some in the plastic of the dash,,,,,around the coffee support  ,,,,it was weard ,incompetant,and unsecure at all for the driver safety and the co-driver if ever one person would seat there.

                              anyway my choice seems to go for the OT2 of Scott because its so little and performant.
                              i think i am going to install one here in my garage for test drive.

                              i am used to fit things Fred,when i was ,,,,,,,,,younger i even participate in some frendly drag race on a modify bike,
                              mine was a mini-trail Z50 from honda withan Elsinore 125 cc engine,,,,,,,,,,,i won some trophees and some plaster too Visage émoticône)))))))))))
                              man these days were fun,,,,,,,,,,,today they arrest you drinking your beer on your galery but it is another story.

                              thanks fred for the mail
                              it is appreciated 100%

                              gervais

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 4, 2011
                                I'm in the middle of installing a tracker in my Land Rover Defender 90.  It's not a Jeep but has similar space constraint issues.   I'm very particular about my truck and it's taken a long time for me to hunt down what I feel are the perfect components.  If you're interested in the details, read on...

                                First off, I'm not going with any sort of computer.  If you take your truck off-road a lot, you'll probably find that computers are distracting and that you need something simpler.  I decided to use the T2-301 for my tracker.  I'm hooking it to my Garmin GPSmap 62st, which I mount to my windshield with the stock suction cup mount.  This truck is very rare and I don't want to drill it if I don't have to.  The T2-301 is going to be mounted in one of the rear storage boxes I built:

                                I'm building a bracket and mounting the tracker to a piece of King Starboard on the bottom of the box.  The starboard is routered on the bottom and the cable will be hidden out of sight.  I'll run the gps serial lines under the carpet, through the cab, up behind the dash and out the ashtray to the GPS.  Very clean, no drilling, no wires hanging out.

                                The tracker and GPS will be powered with Ancor marine-grade wire, run to a Blue Sea Systems fuse block, each with their own centrally-fused circuit:

                                For the antenna, I'm using a Diamond NR72BNMO antenna and Diamond's "skinny" C101 cables.  I find that the skinny cables are a lot easier to route around tight corners.  I chose the shorty 1/4-wave antenna because I think that the broader beam will work better in the mountains and for things like balloon tracking.  I'll mount the antenna on the rear tire carrier, up high.

                                Finally, I'm wiring the tracker so that it turns on with the truck's accessory circuit.  I'll put a cut-off switch on the dash (OEM switch, to match the stock switches) to cut the tracker off if I need to.

                                Chris NW5W

                                On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 12:26 PM, gervais <ve2ckn@...> wrote:

                                hi all
                                i want to install a Pc Portable in my jeep  and operate Aprs Mobile this way.
                                when i want, i could send little text,,and have fun this way too ,,,see where i am on the road ,,,,and use the hobby frequency.

                                Scott can it be done with an Opentracker products ??

                                thanks and best 2011 in your business and all here in the group.
                                gervais ve2ckn

                              • Patrick Wood
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 5, 2011
                                  Every vehicle is different... In my Impala I had an older tablet like these

                                  http://www.xploretech.com/ProductsSubPages/ix104c4series.html

                                  In my hatchback which has the same problem as you are having, I used a tracker2 with a nuvi 350, and also put in a Ram computer mount, but modified the floor bolts so they were easily removable..  That way I could keep everything in the car but only install it when needed.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 5, 2011
                                    My not so humble opinion is: suction mounts don't!

                                    The suction seal always breaks and the hardware attached comes crashing down at the worse possible time.

                                    As mentioned in a another post, finding a screw that can be used, or replaced with a longer one, that already exist is a great option. Seat bolts, screws under the dash are two places that come to mind.

                                    Another possible route is through the defroster ducts. I haven't tried it but with Teflon insulation it would be safe. Regular PVC coating probably would not be good enough. It is rated to 85C and the air may be warmer.

                                    I like your rig. I have wanted one of those for awhile. It is the closest to the 66-77 Broncos but newer. I had a '77 Bronco. My philosophy is different though. I figure if the overall off-road performance could be enhanced, then holes or cutting was necessary. Doing the job right is paramount and it had to look great.

                                    I used to live in SLC and visited Moab every chance I could and would move there in a heartbeat if I had work and could convince my family. We ran Golden Spike, Moab Rim and countless others in stock trim. My favorite trip was the White Rim Trail. It isn't a difficult trail by any means but the friends with me made for excellent times. I like camping out under the stars away from the town.

                                    At Christmas, we 'd head into the LaSals for tree hunting. We would bring back 5-7 trees, all in the 10-15' range. One year, it snowed about 18" before we got back down. My wife and passenger were a little tense coming down. That trip was in a Bronco II we used to own. What a fun trip!

                                    Have fun!

                                    Best regards,
                                    Fred

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 5, 2011
                                      well
                                      these are interesting comments that i can read here.
                                      anyone have ever connected an garmin C330 on an OT1 or T2 ?
                                      its not new GPS but it is working find
                                      gervais

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 9, 2011
                                        Jeff, that's a really nice installation. I have a 2006 Honda Element and this year I am going to install HF and VHF with dedicated APRS. How and wear to mount the laptop is one of the decisions I have not made yet. Seeing your install has me thinking again.

                                        Out of curiosity, where did you mount the radios? I am planning an FT-857 for HF and an FT-8800R for VHF/UHF. I am thinking about mounting the radios in the back somewhere with the remote heads up front.

                                        73,

                                        Hank Lambert
                                        KB4MTO/TA5ZC