Re: [tracker2] Can't stop OTUSB from kissing - help!

  • Thomas Krahn
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2011
      Sorry correction:

      The OTUSB standalone is AE5VN-5. The OTUSB with Xastir is AE5VN-7.

      Thomas
      AE5VN

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 2, 2011
        Hi Thomas,

        If USBKISS is ON, port A should give you the command console. Also,
        from the USB side you should be able to hit control-C a few times and
        get the cmd: prompt.

        As for the receive problem, did you check the RX audio level in otwincfg?

        Scott

      • Thomas Krahn
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 2, 2011
          Dear Scott,

          Thanks for your reply. Apparently I did get the USB port back to the cmd
          prompt and I can connect to it with wine/otwincfg again.
          The problem seems to be port A now. I can't get any communication
          through port A. No matter if the USB port is in USBKISS mode or not.
          In fact as soon as I plug in the null modem cable even the USB port gets
          killed and I need to reboot the tracker to communicate to it again.

          When I use the Tuning/Diagnostics tool in otwincfg I can see the audio
          comming in from the radio. There are 3 different gain settings: 1x, 2x, 4x.
          At 1x Rx Gain the static noise (when the squelch on the radio is open)
          reaches about 3/4 of the max scale. A real packet from a local APRS
          station (AE5VN-6) makes about two dots.
          At 2x Rx Gain the static noise reaches already the full scale. A real
          packet from a local APRS station makes about 8 dots.
          At 4x Rx Gain the local APRS signal fills the full scale.

          Which of the 3 settings is best? Are there any guidelines how to tune
          the audio level with this tool? I rarely get any ascii characters out of
          the tracker, even with passall = on and 4x gain.

          Also I noticed that in the Tuning/Diagnostics tool the red LED can be
          toggled on and off. However the green LED is permanently off. Clicking the
          Green LED button doesn't turn it on.

          Thomas
          AE5VN

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 3, 2011
            The RX gain should be set so that the packet audio level is as close to
            full-scale as possible without going over.

            Does the green LED blink when it's first turned on, or when it resets?

            Scott

          • Thomas Krahn
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 3, 2011
              On 01/03/2011 11:01 AM, Scott Miller wrote:
              > The RX gain should be set so that the packet audio level is as close to
              > full-scale as possible without going over.
              Thanks, this is really a very helpful tool.
              I've set the RX gain to 4x and reduced the volume slightly.
              Now I have a few packets coming through and displaying on the console or
              in Xastir.
              However as compared to my OT1+ the sensitivity seems to be worse on the
              OTUSB.

              > Does the green LED blink when it's first turned on, or when it resets?

              Nope. I've never ever seen the green LED light up since I turned it on
              the first time.
              First I thought that there was only a red LED but after getting a
              magnification glass I noticed it has 4 pins and two black dots behind
              its lens.

              Thomas
              AE5VN
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 4, 2011
                Does the soldering look OK on the LED? Those things are kind of weird,
                4 leads on an 0805 package.

                Is the audio source you're using a fixed level, like a data port output,
                or adjustable like a speaker output?

                Scott

                On 1/3/2011 9:15 AM, Thomas Krahn wrote:
                > On 01/03/2011 11:01 AM, Scott Miller wrote:
                >> The RX gain should be set so that the packet audio level is as close to
                >> full-scale as possible without going over.
                > Thanks, this is really a very helpful tool.
                > I've set the RX gain to 4x and reduced the volume slightly.
                > Now I have a few packets coming through and displaying on the console or
                > in Xastir.
                > However as compared to my OT1+ the sensitivity seems to be worse on the
                > OTUSB.
                >
                >> Does the green LED blink when it's first turned on, or when it resets?
                >>
                > Nope. I've never ever seen the green LED light up since I turned it on
                > the first time.
                > First I thought that there was only a red LED but after getting a
                > magnification glass I noticed it has 4 pins and two black dots behind
                > its lens.
                >
                > Thomas
                > AE5VN

              • Alan
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 4, 2011
                  Wow,
                  Mine receives as good as my KPC9612+. As soon as I hooked it up it started decoding a fringe digi that I usually don't receive.

                  I found that when using volume to control, setting RX on 1X then set the volume on Noise so the Receive level bar just pegs. It then decodes great. When valid tones are received the level bar drops below max, sometimes below 50%.

                  With my low level(100mv)fixed audio radio, I tried all gain settings, 4X just pegged the RXbar on noise. When valid tones were received it dropped to as low as 50%. It decodes great.

                  Alan

                • clayj@nwlink.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 11, 2011
                    Hi - not sure if this is the right place to post or not....

                    I have one of the early Weather Station "betas" that we're finally getting
                    around to powering up; and we're not able to get audio out of it. It will
                    key the transmitter just fine; but there's no audio.

                    Have there been any firmware or hardware changes we should be aware of?
                    Or special things to look for in the config file?

                    Thanks!

                    Clay Jackson
                    N7QNM
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 11, 2011
                      Well, the TX audio level setting is the most obvious. Also try setting
                      DIP switches 1 and 2 to turn up the audio level.

                      Scott

                    • clayj@nwlink.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 11, 2011
                        OK - I THINK we have the audio levels right; we'll try the DIP switches
                        next (the "hardware" guy is the one who's been working on this - I haven't
                        actually seen it since he got it all connected up).

                        Thanks!

                        Clay

                        > Well, the TX audio level setting is the most obvious. Also try setting
                        > DIP switches 1 and 2 to turn up the audio level.
                        >
                        > Scott
                        >
                        > On 1/11/2011 7:40 AM, clayj@... wrote:
                        >> Hi - not sure if this is the right place to post or not....
                        >>
                        >> I have one of the early Weather Station "betas" that we're finally
                        >> getting
                        >> around to powering up; and we're not able to get audio out of it. It
                        >> will
                        >> key the transmitter just fine; but there's no audio.
                        >>
                        >> Have there been any firmware or hardware changes we should be aware of?
                        >> Or special things to look for in the config file?
                        >>
                        >> Thanks!
                        >>
                        >> Clay Jackson
                        >> N7QNM

                      • larry
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 12, 2011
                          I think I had the same problem with no audio at first .

                          Make sure that in the config setup the APRS/Voice schedule boxes have the APRS boxes all checked. If you want the voice announcements you need to load the other file.

                          There is a WS1 yahoo group.

                          Larry WT9M