Re: [tracker2] Remote area APRS link with OT2s

  • Mark Austin
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 31, 2010
      Gents,

      Thanks for taking an interest. What I'm looking to do is provide some
      coverage in an area I can't get an RF path to by using the existing
      microwave network as a link between the to ends (ot2s?). Minimal equipment is the goal. So the full path would be - normal VHF rf aprs from the remote Ham to an ot2 on a hill top then to an rs233 to IP converter, then via the microwave network (500km) to an IP to rs232 converter to the second ot2, then a 150km normal aprs RF hop to the igate in Tamworth.

      Sorry if I was a bit vague first time round, the keypad on the Android is a bit small for long emails with fat finger's !
      Regards,
      Mark
      Vk2jma
    • hamer669@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2011
        I've done similar things with remote PLCs. It will probably work, but you wont know until you buy it and install it. Those IP-RS232 converters are very sensitive to latency issues when ran bi-directional and they are not cheap.

        What about running something like this:

        For $150-$200, you can have a mini-PC running linux at the remote location.  You can then run APRSd in linux, use Wake On Lan to cycle power when stuff breaks, have remote access capabilities.  Many of the boards support things like bluetooth and 802.11 so that you could have access to wireless networks as well.   This way, bandwidth/latency issues go away;  all of the RS232 stuff is handled at the farthest link, converted to IP by the gumstix, and you have the ancillary benefits mentioned before.

        It will take some more time to setup, especially if you are not familiar with linux, but in the long run, I think you would be better off.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2011
          Another approach is to run 4wire E&M on the microwave link if its got
          muxes on each end already.

          Then the far end can be a radio only using the E&M leads for keying.

          I suspect that if the two ends can't hear each other you could parallel
          the TX and RX functions into a single TNC setup as a Digipeater.

          T3

          On Sat, 2011-01-01 at 18:05 -0500, hamer669@... wrote:

          > I've done similar things with remote PLCs. It will probably work, but
          > you wont know until you buy it and install it. Those IP-RS232
          > converters are very sensitive to latency issues when ran
          > bi-directional and they are not cheap.
          >

          > What about running something like this:
          >

          > http://www.gumstix.com/store/catalog/index.php?cPath=27
          >

          > For $150-$200, you can have a mini-PC running linux at the remote
          > location. You can then run APRSd in linux, use Wake On Lan to cycle
          > power when stuff breaks, have remote access capabilities. Many of the
          > boards support things like bluetooth and 802.11 so that you could have
          > access to wireless networks as well. This way, bandwidth/latency
          > issues go away; all of the RS232 stuff is handled at the farthest
          > link, converted to IP by the gumstix, and you have
          > the ancillary benefits mentioned before.
          >

          > It will take some more time to setup, especially if you are not
          > familiar with linux, but in the long run, I think you would be better
          > off.

        • Mark Austin
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 18, 2011
            Gents,
            Thanks for the comments & advice. The E&M comment below reminded me of
            the IPC100 device I'd used a very long time ago. I found 3 tucked in
            the back of the workshop and it is working a treat across the comms
            room. This will leave only the radio and one IPC100 out in the field.
            Multi casting over the IP network means the Tracker setup is simple,
            it thinks its only attached to one radio, not both two, both local and
            remote.
            regards,
            Mark