Argent Data order?

  • David
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 15, 2010
      I ordered a Tracker2 (and other things) using the Argent Data website on 12/9. I haven't heard anything from anyone. No emails. No acknowledgment. Nothing. The order shows 'processing' from "My Account". My emails have been ignored. Is this typical of Argent Data's service?

      David
    • Rick Yahoo
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 15, 2010
        No it isn't   There is a reason

        Rick
         / KD4DRA

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 15, 2010
          Hi David,

          I see that a few emails have gone out to you, but I discovered a couple
          of days ago that Yahoo's been bouncing all email from our server to
          yahoo.com customers - though thankfully not to the Yahoo groups. I
          changed the IP address the SMTP server was using today, hopefully
          that'll get around the block since no one at Yahoo will address the
          problem and all I can get is the same two automated responses - filling
          out form A gets me an email telling me to fill out form B, which gets a
          response sending me back to A.

          Anyway, the holdup with the OT2m is that a portion of the parts ($1800+
          worth according to today's UPS claim) bound for the contract
          manufacturer's facility for this assembly run apparently got stolen. We
          had to go reorder a bunch of stuff, which still hasn't all arrived. The
          lead time on the modem ICs was 8 weeks, but a heroic effort on the part
          of our distributor turned up 100 units that should be here any time.
          The CM has the rest of the parts and will be starting assembly as soon
          as possible.

          I'm sorry for the delay and the confusion. Hopefully things will get
          sorted out shortly with both the email problems and the assembly delays.

          Thanks,

          Scott

        • hamer669@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 15, 2010
            I will have to say that when I ordered my tracker 2 last June, the communication was horrible.  It took 45 days to get my units, and emails routinely went unanswered. They are not too big on emails there.  I will say, however, that once I got my units, they were as promised, and awesome.  The Tracker2 is SO much better than lugging a laptop around.  It is well worth the wait.  Their support outside this mailing group has something to be desired though.  It took me several weeks before i discovered this mailing list.

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 16, 2010
              On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 11:03 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
              > Yahoo's been bouncing all email from our server to
              > yahoo.com customers

              Speaking as an email server sysadmin, over the years Yahoo has been
              the source of more email problems than anyone except hotmail.

              If you want reliable email, ditch yahoo.

              -Jason
              kg4wsv
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 16, 2010
                Just to clarify, we're not using Yahoo here. Argentdata.com runs on a
                dedicated server and handles its own email. But for some reason (maybe
                too many people flagged their order updates as spam?) Yahoo stated
                bouncing *inbound* messages to yahoo.com users.

                I've had to resend stuff using my gmail account, which almost never gets
                used except for testing mail servers.

                Scott

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 16, 2010
                  I'm usually answering emails till about 8 PM, and very few go unanswered
                  more than 24 hours. If you email and don't get a response, it could
                  have been eaten by the spam filter - I try to check it from time to
                  time, but when it's catching thousands of messages each day it's hard to
                  find the false positives.

                  Also, we're in the office every Monday through Friday, from 8 or 10 AM
                  (depending on the day) to 5 PM - you can always call if you need an
                  answer on something right away. In the US the toll-free number is (800)
                  274-4076. Outside the US, call 1 (805) 619-4515.

                  Scott

                  On 12/15/2010 11:59 PM, hamer669@... wrote:
                  > I will have to say that when I ordered my tracker 2 last June, the
                  > communication was horrible. It took 45 days to get my units, and emails
                  > routinely went unanswered. They are not too big on emails there. I will
                  > say, however, that once I got my units, they were as promised, and
                  > awesome. The Tracker2 is SO much better than lugging a laptop around. It
                  > is well worth the wait. Their support outside this mailing group has
                  > something to be desired though. It took me several weeks before i
                  > discovered this mailing list.

                • Christopher Snell
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 16, 2010
                    I, too, have experienced this and I'm using GMail.

                    Has Argent Data considered using a CRM application to handle your
                    customer interactions? I've spent most of my career in e-commerce and
                    I can't imagine running a company without one. I've had great luck
                    with RT, http://bestpractical.com/rt/ . It's open-source and is very
                    easy to learn.

                    I see Argent Data as an engineering shop first, and an e-commerce
                    company second, but please do not lose sight of customer service. You
                    guys have built up a lot of good will in the community and it would be
                    a shame to squander that over something as manageable as
                    communication.

                    Chris Snell

                    On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                    > I'm usually answering emails till about 8 PM, and very few go unanswered
                    > more than 24 hours.  If you email and don't get a response, it could
                    > have been eaten by the spam filter - I try to check it from time to
                    > time, but when it's catching thousands of messages each day it's hard to
                    > find the false positives.
                    >
                    > Also, we're in the office every Monday through Friday, from 8 or 10 AM
                    > (depending on the day) to 5 PM - you can always call if you need an
                    > answer on something right away.  In the US the toll-free number is (800)
                    > 274-4076.  Outside the US, call 1 (805) 619-4515.
                    >
                    > Scott
                    >
                    > On 12/15/2010 11:59 PM, hamer669@... wrote:
                    >> I will have to say that when I ordered my tracker 2 last June, the
                    >> communication was horrible. It took 45 days to get my units, and emails
                    >> routinely went unanswered. They are not too big on emails there. I will
                    >> say, however, that once I got my units, they were as promised, and
                    >> awesome. The Tracker2 is SO much better than lugging a laptop around. It
                    >> is well worth the wait. Their support outside this mailing group has
                    >> something to be desired though. It took me several weeks before i
                    >> discovered this mailing list.

                  • John Gleichweit
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 16, 2010
                      Scott: I've had a similar problem with outbound email. SBC/ATT uses Yahoo as
                      their mail provider. Because so much spam comes from throwaway Yahoo addresses,
                      some of the Yahoo mailservers get blacklisted on and off, causing some of my
                      legitimate email to be rejected.

                      --
                      John "Smokey Behr" Gleichweit FF1/EMT, CCNA, MCSE
                      N6FOG UP Fresno Sub MP183.5 ECV1852

                      > Just to clarify, we're not using Yahoo here. Argentdata.com runs on a
                      > dedicated server and handles its own email. But for some reason (maybe
                      > too many people flagged their order updates as spam?) Yahoo stated
                      > bouncing *inbound* messages to yahoo.com users.
                      >
                      > I've had to resend stuff using my gmail account, which almost never gets
                      > used except for testing mail servers.
                      >
                      > Scott
                      >
                      > On 12/16/2010 4:32 AM, Jason KG4WSV wrote:
                      > > On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 11:03 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...
                      > > <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>> wrote:
                      > > > Yahoo's been bouncing all email from our server to
                      > > > yahoo.com customers
                      > >
                      > > Speaking as an email server sysadmin, over the years Yahoo has been
                      > > the source of more email problems than anyone except hotmail.
                      > >
                      > > If you want reliable email, ditch yahoo.
                      > >
                      > > -Jason
                      > > kg4wsv

                    • grandpa_phil
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 16, 2010
                        I've gotten plenty of pre-order and order process emails. Questions were answered very quickly (within an hour) and an order confirmation was sent, as well as a shipping confirmation w/tracking number. His CRM system appears to be working just fine. Login to the website and you can see your complete order history.

                        There may have been glitches at one point, but it is working just fine now.

                        If you have a question, pickup the phone... sometimes simpler is better...
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 17, 2010
                          I've considered setting up a CRM application, but haven't found anything
                          I liked. I'm also reluctant to make it more complicated for users to
                          get support - I don't want to make them open a trouble ticket for every
                          little question. For RMA tracking it might be worth doing, but then
                          there's the issue of integration with the existing e-commerce system.

                          RT looks interesting. I'll have to check it out.

                          Thanks,

                          Scott

                        • Allan May
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 17, 2010
                            Good morning everyone
                            I've ordered numerous things from Scott. I've never had any issues. When I needed help Scott answeres my questions within a timely manner. I would recommend people in my area to buy from Scott. Maybe he overlooked your emails. Everyone is human. He has great products. Keep up the good work Scott.
                            Alan may wd4ite

                          • Teddy Banks
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 17, 2010
                              I have bought several products from Argent Data Systems, and in my opinion, their support service is second to none.

                              On 12/17/2010 11:53 AM, Scott Miller wrote:
                              Argent Data
                            • Mike, WB6WUI
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 18, 2010
                                Absolutely correct.  I've moderated many Yahoo groups for many years and all my admin files advise to use a personal Email address rather than yahoo's.  Still using the Yahoo Groups but never their Email.

                                Will be ordering a T2 or two soon...l had good luck too with their SR-1 but just starting out with APRS on the RF side.  We are in a long valley with no digitpeaters, so will be starting that up from scratch in 2011.

                                -- Mike

                                On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 04:32, Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv@...> wrote:

                                On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 11:03 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                                > Yahoo's been bouncing all email from our server to
                                > yahoo.com customers

                                Speaking as an email server sysadmin, over the years Yahoo has been
                                the source of more email problems than anyone except hotmail.

                                If you want reliable email, ditch yahoo.

                                -Jason
                                kg4wsv

                              • Wes Johnston, AI4PX
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 18, 2010
                                  I too have ordered things from Scott.  Matter of fact, my daughter built one of his tracker kits at the dayton hamfest.  There was a problem with the microprocessor and he replaced it on the spot.  I've watched this email reflector for a number of years and I've seen him tell people to send him kits that had problems and he's repaired them and returned them... even when the problem wasn't his.  To be fair, I have had to wait for product to ship a number of weeks in the past, but those orders are the exception.

                                  As far as I'm concerned, he's got the best tracker on the market and he's very reachable (heh heh... my employer used to share his web server).  I tried to get that TNC company in Kansas to do compressed positions and they weren't interested 10 years ago.  Scott on the other hand will work thru just about any idea with you.

                                  I hope he goes far - he's certainly on the right track.

                                  Wes
                                  ---
                                  God help those who do not help themselves.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 18, 2010
                                    Wes, you missed a great opportunity.

                                    Scott is on a great (open) track!

                                    Scott's customer service goes above and beyond. He's replaced parts
                                    smoked by customers, advance shipped replacement units lost by the
                                    postal service, and a whole host of other things that most other
                                    companies would never think of doing.

                                    On 12/18/10, Wes Johnston, AI4PX <wes@...> wrote:
                                    > I too have ordered things from Scott. Matter of fact, my daughter built one
                                    > of his tracker kits at the dayton hamfest. There was a problem with the
                                    > microprocessor and he replaced it on the spot. I've watched this email
                                    > reflector for a number of years and I've seen him tell people to send him
                                    > kits that had problems and he's repaired them and returned them... even when
                                    > the problem wasn't his. To be fair, I have had to wait for product to ship
                                    > a number of weeks in the past, but those orders are the exception.
                                    >
                                    > As far as I'm concerned, he's got the best tracker on the market and he's
                                    > very reachable (heh heh... my employer used to share his web server). I
                                    > tried to get that TNC company in Kansas to do compressed positions and they
                                    > weren't interested 10 years ago. Scott on the other hand will work thru
                                    > just about any idea with you.
                                    >
                                    > I hope he goes far - he's certainly on the right track.
                                    >
                                    > Wes
                                    > ---
                                    > God help those who do not help themselves.
                                    >

                                    > On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 15:30, Mike, WB6WUI <wb6wui@...> wrote:
                                    >

                                    >> Absolutely correct. I've moderated many Yahoo groups for many years and
                                    >> all my admin files advise to use a personal Email address rather than
                                    >> yahoo's. Still using the Yahoo Groups but never their Email.
                                    >>
                                    >> Will be ordering a T2 or two soon...l had good luck too with their SR-1
                                    >> but
                                    >> just starting out with APRS on the RF side. We are in a long valley with
                                    >> no
                                    >> digitpeaters, so will be starting that up from scratch in 2011.
                                    >>
                                    >> -- Mike
                                    >>

                                    >> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 04:32, Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv@...> wrote:
                                    >>

                                    >>> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 11:03 PM, Scott Miller
                                    >>> <scott@...<scott%40opentrac.org>>
                                    >>>
                                    >>> Speaking as an email server sysadmin, over the years Yahoo has been
                                    >>> the source of more email problems than anyone except hotmail.
                                    >>>
                                    >>> If you want reliable email, ditch yahoo.
                                    >>>
                                    >>> -Jason
                                    >>> kg4wsv

                                  • Jon
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 23, 2010
                                      osTicket is probably a bit easier to get your head around.

                                      John
                                      EI7IG