Success with Proto C

  • mulveyraa2
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 7, 2006
      Hi All:

      I got my Proto C board in the mail yesterday, from the last batch
      that was made up.

      After putting the tots to bed, I started soldering away, and had it
      all put together in a little over two hours. No significant problems
      - there were a couple of references to components that no longer
      exist, and it took a little bit of examination of the schematic to
      assure that I was putting the diodes in the right way, but other than
      that, it went very quickly.

      I replaced my existing TT3 in my car with the OT2 - same cables,
      etc. After realizing I forgot to put the serial power jumper into
      place, I cranked it up - and everything worked fine!

      I'll be playing with the configuration a bit, but I'm very pleased
      with the results.

      A couple of questions: Has anyone measured the current draw of the
      OT2?

      Secondly - are the GPS waypoint outputs compatible with the Avmap
      car navigator? I'm seriously considering getting one, since my wife
      has a D700, and I'll be using the OT2, and we do a fair bit of
      traveling in the car.

      - Rich, AA2YS
    • scott@opentrac.org
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 7, 2006
        Last time I checked current draw on the bench, it was 10 or 12 mA.  The NMEA waypoint output should be compatible with the Avmap - someone else said they had it working, anyway.  I've been trying to talk the Avmap people into adding some hooks to support more features like the Garmins, but no luck so far.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 7, 2006
          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, <scott@...> wrote:

          > Last time I checked current draw on the bench, it was 10 or 12 mA.
          The NMEA
          > waypoint output should be compatible with the Avmap - someone else
          said they
          > had it working, anyway. I've been trying to talk the Avmap people into
          > adding some hooks to support more features like the Garmins, but no
          luck so
          > far.

          Sounds good. Now, a couple of more questions. :-)

          I have the OT2 configured to send out the counter, but the value
          isn't incrementing with each transmission. Firmware bug?

          Secondly - any suggestions for wiring up the high-side switch
          inside the Ot2? Specifically - do the land patterns match a standard
          connector? Or are people just soldering heavy wires directly to the
          PC board?

          Thanks!

          - Rich
        • scott@opentrac.org
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 8, 2006
            It's not supposed to increment with each transmission - it's suppose to increment with each counter input, and optionally reset with each transmission.

            No, the pads don't match any particular device.  You can solder 12 awg wires directly to the board, or you should be able to use #4-40 screws to connect smaller wires.

            Scott

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 8, 2006
              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, <scott@...> wrote:

              > It's not supposed to increment with each transmission - it's suppose to
              > increment with each counter input, and optionally reset with each
              > transmission.

              Ah, ok. I had this vague memory of someone mentioning in the past
              that they had used the counter value as an indication of which packets
              hadn't been received, and assumed it was an auto-incrementing counter.

              - Rich
            • scott@opentrac.org
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 8, 2006
                Someone did implement that on the OpenTracker.  It's not a standard option yet.

                Scott