New (temporary) commands

  • scott@opentrac.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2006
      I've added some new commands, some of which might stay in the firmware - at
      the moment they're just there to support my balloon launch on Saturday.

      SQUAWK [seconds] is there to support direction finding. It causes the
      tracker to turn on the transmitter and send alternating tones with a
      half-second period for the specified number of seconds.

      PULSE [seconds] turns the power MOSFET on for the specified number of
      seconds. In this case it's there to trigger a thermal cutdown device. The
      POWER ON command isn't adequate, since once it drops and starts tumbling it
      may not hear the OFF command, and will continue drawing excessive power, and
      maybe melting things in the process. Though usually the power resistor will
      melt free of its solder connections before it damages anything else. Smells
      bad in the process, though.

      CAMERA on|off will control the camera timer. Right now it runs
      continuously, turning the attached still cameras on and taking pictures at
      pre-programmed intervals.

      The first two will probably stay, in some form. The third is a little too
      application-specific, and should really be replaced with a more generic
      timer control.

      Let me know if there are any changes to these you'd like to see to make them
      more generally useful.

      The balloon will (hopefully) launch at 0900 local time from the Mojave
      desert, near Red Rock Canyon state park. Callsign is N1VG-11. I've set up
      a Google Earth network feed at http://argentdata.com:8080 - still working on
      the altitude display, though.