Re: [tracker2] Attention Nuvi 1300 users

  • peter.summerhawk@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 4, 2010
      Yeah but our department is issuing CF-19 with GPS and WANN cards but then its good to have the mapping software of AprsPoint as well that we are going to install. And the new RAM docks lock so there is little chance of theft. ;)

      Peter Summerhawk

      From: hamer669@...
      Sender: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 14:40:45 -0500 (EST)
      To: <tracker2@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [tracker2] Attention Nuvi 1300 users

      A toughbook would be great... but I have a topless jeep just open to the air.  I would rather someone steal my $120 GPS. :)  The weather is another concern.

      Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 14:11:53 -0500 (EST)

      The 1300 with compression disabled works well. There are a few annoyances:

      No messages while in route.
      It may not process new waypoints while in route; I am currently testing this.
      No map redraw for mobile stations.  If another station is mobile, he wont move on the map.  You must exit the map view, and then re-enter.  Not as big a deal as it sounds. I've gotten pretty good at exiting and entering the map view.

      I have never used the 350, but the 1300 is definitely functional; it is a whole lot better than lugging a laptop around. :)

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 5, 2010
        I'll check it out. The compressed mode code is due for a rewrite
        anyway. I've seen something like you're describing before, and I think
        it was related to a stack overflow.

        As for the messaging while navigating bug, I'll have to make sure the
        ETA packets aren't screwing up the T2. That's about the only
        possibility if it's not a Garmin bug.

        Scott

      • hamer669@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 5, 2010
          Another thing it does, when one hits "reply" to an APRS message and no "-callsign" is input, it tries to send the message to "GARMIN".

          I'll check it out.  The compressed mode code is due for a rewrite
          anyway.  I've seen something like you're describing before, and I think
          it was related to a stack overflow.

          As for the messaging while navigating bug, I'll have to make sure the
          ETA packets aren't screwing up the T2.  That's about the only
          possibility if it's not a Garmin bug.

          Scott

          On 12/3/2010 11:53 PM, chris.ronk wrote: > I have been running into a LOT of bugs using the Garmin Nuvi 1300 GPS > unit with my tracker2 running firmware 55506. I have been dealing > specifically with messaging issues. It could send and receive messages, > but it would intermittently send/receive the ACKs and the messages would > retry forever. Only about 2% of the messages would actually ACK > correctly. It also had issues displaying waypoints; some worked, and > others didn't; I have now found a work around: disable compressed data > packets. Send it the command COMPRESS OFF. > > For some reason, with compress ON, a whole bunch of crucial bugs rear > their ugly head. As soon as I turned compress off, it functioned fine. > The only bug that survived and is still an issue is that one cannot send > or receive messages while en route to a destination. If you tell the > Nuvi to plan a route, it will not process messages. Other than that, it > works much better. > > ------------------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tracker2/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tracker2/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: tracker2-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Rick
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 5, 2010
            Chris my first question, does the 1300 use the same cable as the nuvi 350. Next have you tested it with firmware 55076 a stable release.

            Thanks Rick/ kd4dra

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 5, 2010
              Yes, it is the same cable, and I have tested it with 55576 and the only thing that functions correctly is position reporting.  Waypoints, are not displayed, and for all intents and purposes, it is not very functional.

              I have been running the developmental build and it's been running great ever since I turned compression off.  I would suggest anyone who is interested in the 1300, use the developmental build over the "stable" release.

              Chris my first question, does the 1300 use the same cable as the nuvi 350. Next have you tested it with firmware 55076 a stable release.

              Thanks Rick/ kd4dra

              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "chris.ronk" <hamer669@...> wrote:

              > I have been running into a LOT of bugs using the Garmin Nuvi 1300 GPS unit with my tracker2 running firmware 55506. I have been dealing specifically with messaging issues. It could send and receive messages, but it would intermittently send/receive the ACKs and the messages would retry forever. Only about 2% of the messages would actually ACK correctly. It also had issues displaying waypoints; some worked, and others didn't; I have now found a work around: disable compressed data packets. Send it the command COMPRESS OFF.
              >
              > For some reason, with compress ON, a whole bunch of crucial bugs rear their ugly head. As soon as I turned compress off, it functioned fine. The only bug that survived and is still an issue is that one cannot send or receive messages while en route to a destination. If you tell the Nuvi to plan a route, it will not process messages. Other than that, it works much better.

            • Keith VE7GDH
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 6, 2010
                Chris KC6WTA wrote...

                > Waypoints, are not displayed, and for all intents and purposes,
                > it is not very functional.

                I must have misunderstood. I thought that you had said...

                > No breadcrumbing; my position is deleted, and updated as it is supposed to.

                and...

                > No map redraw for mobile stations. If another station is mobile, he won't
                > move on the map. You must exit the map view, and then re-enter.

                My understanding from earlier posts was that received position reports showed
                as waypoints on the map after you leave and then come back to the map view, but
                that objects aren't displayed.

                73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
              • hamer669@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 6, 2010
                  ... with the new firmware.  Using 55476, there is very little that is functional.  Using the
                  55506 firmware, it is very functional.