Attention Nuvi 1300 users

  • chris.ronk
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 3, 2010
      I have been running into a LOT of bugs using the Garmin Nuvi 1300 GPS unit with my tracker2 running firmware 55506. I have been dealing specifically with messaging issues. It could send and receive messages, but it would intermittently send/receive the ACKs and the messages would retry forever. Only about 2% of the messages would actually ACK correctly. It also had issues displaying waypoints; some worked, and others didn't; I have now found a work around: disable compressed data packets. Send it the command COMPRESS OFF.

      For some reason, with compress ON, a whole bunch of crucial bugs rear their ugly head. As soon as I turned compress off, it functioned fine. The only bug that survived and is still an issue is that one cannot send or receive messages while en route to a destination. If you tell the Nuvi to plan a route, it will not process messages. Other than that, it works much better.
    • Pete Lilja
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 4, 2010
        So, Chris, does the 1300 work well enough to make is useable while mobile?  Does it function nearly as well as the 350?

        Pete
        KC0GPB

      • hamer669@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 4, 2010
          The 1300 with compression disabled works well. There are a few annoyances:

          No messages while in route.
          It may not process new waypoints while in route; I am currently testing this.
          No map redraw for mobile stations.  If another station is mobile, he wont move on the map.  You must exit the map view, and then re-enter.  Not as big a deal as it sounds. I've gotten pretty good at exiting and entering the map view.

          I have never used the 350, but the 1300 is definitely functional; it is a whole lot better than lugging a laptop around. :)

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 4, 2010
              I'm not sure.  I bought the cheapest 1300 at Walmart; it was $120.

            • peter.summerhawk@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 4, 2010
                Well when I get my new Toughbook with GPS I will be selling my 350. Will list it here first.

                Peter Summerhawk

                From: hamer669@...
                Sender: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 14:11:53 -0500 (EST)
                To: <tracker2@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: tracker2@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 4, 2010
                  A toughbook would be great... but I have a topless jeep just open to the air.  I would rather someone steal my $120 GPS. :)  The weather is another concern.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 4, 2010
                    Yeah but our department is issuing CF-19 with GPS and WANN cards but then its good to have the mapping software of AprsPoint as well that we are going to install. And the new RAM docks lock so there is little chance of theft. ;)

                    Peter Summerhawk

                    From: hamer669@...
                    Sender: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 14:40:45 -0500 (EST)
                    To: <tracker2@yahoogroups.com>

                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 5, 2010
                      I'll check it out. The compressed mode code is due for a rewrite
                      anyway. I've seen something like you're describing before, and I think
                      it was related to a stack overflow.

                      As for the messaging while navigating bug, I'll have to make sure the
                      ETA packets aren't screwing up the T2. That's about the only
                      possibility if it's not a Garmin bug.

                      Scott

                    • hamer669@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 5, 2010
                        Another thing it does, when one hits "reply" to an APRS message and no "-callsign" is input, it tries to send the message to "GARMIN".

                        I'll check it out.  The compressed mode code is due for a rewrite
                        anyway.  I've seen something like you're describing before, and I think
                        it was related to a stack overflow.

                        As for the messaging while navigating bug, I'll have to make sure the
                        ETA packets aren't screwing up the T2.  That's about the only
                        possibility if it's not a Garmin bug.

                        Scott

                        On 12/3/2010 11:53 PM, chris.ronk wrote: > I have been running into a LOT of bugs using the Garmin Nuvi 1300 GPS > unit with my tracker2 running firmware 55506. I have been dealing > specifically with messaging issues. It could send and receive messages, > but it would intermittently send/receive the ACKs and the messages would > retry forever. Only about 2% of the messages would actually ACK > correctly. It also had issues displaying waypoints; some worked, and > others didn't; I have now found a work around: disable compressed data > packets. Send it the command COMPRESS OFF. > > For some reason, with compress ON, a whole bunch of crucial bugs rear > their ugly head. As soon as I turned compress off, it functioned fine. > The only bug that survived and is still an issue is that one cannot send > or receive messages while en route to a destination. If you tell the > Nuvi to plan a route, it will not process messages. Other than that, it > works much better. > > ------------------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tracker2/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tracker2/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: tracker2-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                      • Rick
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 5, 2010
                          Chris my first question, does the 1300 use the same cable as the nuvi 350. Next have you tested it with firmware 55076 a stable release.

                          Thanks Rick/ kd4dra

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 5, 2010
                            Yes, it is the same cable, and I have tested it with 55576 and the only thing that functions correctly is position reporting.  Waypoints, are not displayed, and for all intents and purposes, it is not very functional.

                            I have been running the developmental build and it's been running great ever since I turned compression off.  I would suggest anyone who is interested in the 1300, use the developmental build over the "stable" release.

                            Chris my first question, does the 1300 use the same cable as the nuvi 350. Next have you tested it with firmware 55076 a stable release.

                            Thanks Rick/ kd4dra

                            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "chris.ronk" <hamer669@...> wrote:

                            > I have been running into a LOT of bugs using the Garmin Nuvi 1300 GPS unit with my tracker2 running firmware 55506. I have been dealing specifically with messaging issues. It could send and receive messages, but it would intermittently send/receive the ACKs and the messages would retry forever. Only about 2% of the messages would actually ACK correctly. It also had issues displaying waypoints; some worked, and others didn't; I have now found a work around: disable compressed data packets. Send it the command COMPRESS OFF.
                            >
                            > For some reason, with compress ON, a whole bunch of crucial bugs rear their ugly head. As soon as I turned compress off, it functioned fine. The only bug that survived and is still an issue is that one cannot send or receive messages while en route to a destination. If you tell the Nuvi to plan a route, it will not process messages. Other than that, it works much better.

                          • Keith VE7GDH
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 6, 2010
                              Chris KC6WTA wrote...

                              > Waypoints, are not displayed, and for all intents and purposes,
                              > it is not very functional.

                              I must have misunderstood. I thought that you had said...

                              > No breadcrumbing; my position is deleted, and updated as it is supposed to.

                              and...

                              > No map redraw for mobile stations. If another station is mobile, he won't
                              > move on the map. You must exit the map view, and then re-enter.

                              My understanding from earlier posts was that received position reports showed
                              as waypoints on the map after you leave and then come back to the map view, but
                              that objects aren't displayed.

                              73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                            • hamer669@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 6, 2010
                                ... with the new firmware.  Using 55476, there is very little that is functional.  Using the
                                55506 firmware, it is very functional.