Re: [tracker2] Solar WX Station

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2010
      Hi Clay,

      The solar panel is this one:

      http://www.harborfreight.com/5-watt-solar-battery-charger-41144.html

      I think this is the charge controller I'm using:

      http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/SCN-1/3A-SOLAR-PANEL-VOLTAGE-CONTROLLER/1.html

      The battery is like this, but sourced conveniently from the alarm shop
      right next door:

      http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/GC-1270/12V-7.5AH-LEAD-ACID-BATTERY//1.html

      The radio is an old Alinco DJ-F1T. Wiring is simple - the battery and
      panel connect to the charge controller, the charge controller connects
      to the WS1, and the WS1 (via the power out terminal) connects to the radio.

      It seems to be staying over 12.5v, even with overcast weather lately.
      There's a big gap in the data for N1VG-14 because (as I discovered
      yesterday) someone turned off the power supply for the IGate's radio.

      Scott

    • clayj@nwlink.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2010
        Good 'ol Harbor Freight! Thanks, Scott!

        I'll be by there this weekend; so I'll see if they have one of the panels
        in stock.

        And, I have a suitable battery and an old HT; so I guess I'm all set (once
        I order the Weather Station and build an enclosure.

        I'll post pictures.

        Clay

        > Hi Clay,
        >
        > The solar panel is this one:
        >
        > http://www.harborfreight.com/5-watt-solar-battery-charger-41144.html
        >
        > I think this is the charge controller I'm using:
        >
        > http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/SCN-1/3A-SOLAR-PANEL-VOLTAGE-CONTROLLER/1.html
        >
        > The battery is like this, but sourced conveniently from the alarm shop
        > right next door:
        >
        > http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/GC-1270/12V-7.5AH-LEAD-ACID-BATTERY//1.html
        >
        > The radio is an old Alinco DJ-F1T. Wiring is simple - the battery and
        > panel connect to the charge controller, the charge controller connects
        > to the WS1, and the WS1 (via the power out terminal) connects to the
        > radio.
        >
        > It seems to be staying over 12.5v, even with overcast weather lately.
        > There's a big gap in the data for N1VG-14 because (as I discovered
        > yesterday) someone turned off the power supply for the IGate's radio.
        >
        > Scott
        >
        > On 12/3/2010 10:06 AM, clayj@... wrote:
        >> Hey, Scott (or anyone else) -
        >>
        >> I've just bought some property for a retirement home; and I'd like to
        >> put a
        >> weather station on it; even before we have a building (and power)
        >> there.The property is outside of Prosser, WA; and it looks (from the
        >> hits
        >> I got with my mobile rig N7QNM-9) like the best APRS digi is about 50
        >> miles off, so I'll probably need at least 5W.
        >>
        >> I noticed on your web site that you have a solar powered ADWS-1 - can
        >> you
        >> give me some details on where you got the panels/charge controller and
        >> what your radio setup/battery configuration looks like.
        >>
        >> Anyway - any suggestions would be appreciated.
        >>
        >> Thanks es 73!
        >>
        >> Clay
        >> N7QNM

      • Clay Jackson
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2010
          Will do - I guess the next question is; does anyone know of a reasonably inexpensive 2M Yagi? I think I'm going to go that way, rather than leave things to chance.

          Eventually, when we get the cabin built, there will be a full blown digi on that site, with igate (assuming I can get a decent ISP - probably Benton REA Net).

          Clay

          Clay
          ========

        • captnkliegle
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 5, 2010
            I have been running a solar powered WX digi for over ten years, with improvements over time.

            Started out with a 15' piece of 1.5" Black Iron pipe with Diamond X-200 on the top. A flexible solar panel mounted at an angle below it. Then a wooden box the size of a bird house below the panel. An old car battery was placed in a 5 gallon bucket and buried underground for more stable battery temps. The KPC-3, HTX-202, and Peet Bros WX station, and solar charge controller were all in the 'bird house'.
            The pipe was imbedded into the ground using a hand operate post hole digger.

            I have since improved things and have two towers (100' and 68'), two sheds, 440 amp/hrs of storage via 6V golf cart batteries in series/parllel combination in each shed, and lots of solar panels on the roofs. There are now two repeaters and one APRS WX digi in the sheds, along with WiFi and commerical power. The solar system is still there charging batteries, but when the power goes out, everything keeps running.

            You just need to have enough battery reserve for cloudy winter days (long COLD nights) and survive with snow covering the panels for extended periods of time. More battery and larger the panel the better!

            I used the flexible ones (Uni-solar) initially due to the remote location and hunters liking to shoot holes in property. They can take small caliber weapons and still produce power! The downside is they are not as efficient at creating power versus the ridgid glass ones.
            All panels I have collected after the inital Uni-Solar ones were used from word of mouth sales, craigs list, want adds, etc, and the dollars/watt was in the $2.45 range. So try and hunt down used panels if you can!

            Check this site out:
            http://www.solar-electric.com/1to39wasopa.html

            73 de Kriss
            KA1GJU-3
          • Christopher Snell
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 5, 2010
              On Friday, December 3, 2010, Clay Jackson <clayj@...> wrote:
              > Will do - I guess the next question is; does anyone know of a reasonably inexpensive 2M Yagi?    I think I'm going to go that way, rather than leave things to chance.

              Build your own! It's one of the easiest to build. I used a piece of
              PVC for the central shaft and the leftover tubing from a broken tv
              yagi I had for the elements. There are calculators on the net that
              will help you determine element spacing, etc.

              Arrow Antennas is another good option. He's a good guy to work with.
              His yagis use elements made from Easton hunting arrow shafts.

              Chris
              NW5W