OT2m production delays

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2010
      Just a heads up... it now appears that a shipment of parts bound for the
      contract manufacturer was stolen (though we're crossing our fingers that
      it was just misdelivered and will show up at some point) and will need
      to be replaced. I don't think the missing parts were any of those ones
      with ridiculous lead times, but it's going to set us back at least a
      week regardless.

      And it might not be done in time for the next batch, but we're looking
      at changing to a new case design for the OT2m. It's almost identical in
      appearance (same size, same material, same finish) but the construction
      is different. There's a 3D model (click on the picture to activate) here:

      http://www.argentdata.com/files/ot2m_case.pdf

      This design is only two pieces instead of three, and hopefully will be
      harder for the fabricator to screw up. Something like 1/3 of the last
      batch had to be returned because they just didn't fit together. The
      change shouldn't impact end users at all, except possibly for the fact
      that it should be easier to bolt brackets to the sides to hold it down.

      Scott
    • clayj@nwlink.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2010
        Hey, Scott (or anyone else) -

        I've just bought some property for a retirement home; and I'd like to put a
        weather station on it; even before we have a building (and power)
        there.The property is outside of Prosser, WA; and it looks (from the hits
        I got with my mobile rig N7QNM-9) like the best APRS digi is about 50
        miles off, so I'll probably need at least 5W.

        I noticed on your web site that you have a solar powered ADWS-1 - can you
        give me some details on where you got the panels/charge controller and
        what your radio setup/battery configuration looks like.

        Anyway - any suggestions would be appreciated.

        Thanks es 73!

        Clay
        N7QNM
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2010
          Hi Clay,

          The solar panel is this one:

          http://www.harborfreight.com/5-watt-solar-battery-charger-41144.html

          I think this is the charge controller I'm using:

          http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/SCN-1/3A-SOLAR-PANEL-VOLTAGE-CONTROLLER/1.html

          The battery is like this, but sourced conveniently from the alarm shop
          right next door:

          http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/GC-1270/12V-7.5AH-LEAD-ACID-BATTERY//1.html

          The radio is an old Alinco DJ-F1T. Wiring is simple - the battery and
          panel connect to the charge controller, the charge controller connects
          to the WS1, and the WS1 (via the power out terminal) connects to the radio.

          It seems to be staying over 12.5v, even with overcast weather lately.
          There's a big gap in the data for N1VG-14 because (as I discovered
          yesterday) someone turned off the power supply for the IGate's radio.

          Scott

        • clayj@nwlink.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2010
            Good 'ol Harbor Freight! Thanks, Scott!

            I'll be by there this weekend; so I'll see if they have one of the panels
            in stock.

            And, I have a suitable battery and an old HT; so I guess I'm all set (once
            I order the Weather Station and build an enclosure.

            I'll post pictures.

            Clay

            > Hi Clay,
            >
            > The solar panel is this one:
            >
            > http://www.harborfreight.com/5-watt-solar-battery-charger-41144.html
            >
            > I think this is the charge controller I'm using:
            >
            > http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/SCN-1/3A-SOLAR-PANEL-VOLTAGE-CONTROLLER/1.html
            >
            > The battery is like this, but sourced conveniently from the alarm shop
            > right next door:
            >
            > http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/GC-1270/12V-7.5AH-LEAD-ACID-BATTERY//1.html
            >
            > The radio is an old Alinco DJ-F1T. Wiring is simple - the battery and
            > panel connect to the charge controller, the charge controller connects
            > to the WS1, and the WS1 (via the power out terminal) connects to the
            > radio.
            >
            > It seems to be staying over 12.5v, even with overcast weather lately.
            > There's a big gap in the data for N1VG-14 because (as I discovered
            > yesterday) someone turned off the power supply for the IGate's radio.
            >
            > Scott
            >
            > On 12/3/2010 10:06 AM, clayj@... wrote:
            >> Hey, Scott (or anyone else) -
            >>
            >> I've just bought some property for a retirement home; and I'd like to
            >> put a
            >> weather station on it; even before we have a building (and power)
            >> there.The property is outside of Prosser, WA; and it looks (from the
            >> hits
            >> I got with my mobile rig N7QNM-9) like the best APRS digi is about 50
            >> miles off, so I'll probably need at least 5W.
            >>
            >> I noticed on your web site that you have a solar powered ADWS-1 - can
            >> you
            >> give me some details on where you got the panels/charge controller and
            >> what your radio setup/battery configuration looks like.
            >>
            >> Anyway - any suggestions would be appreciated.
            >>
            >> Thanks es 73!
            >>
            >> Clay
            >> N7QNM

          • Clay Jackson
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3, 2010
              Will do - I guess the next question is; does anyone know of a reasonably inexpensive 2M Yagi? I think I'm going to go that way, rather than leave things to chance.

              Eventually, when we get the cabin built, there will be a full blown digi on that site, with igate (assuming I can get a decent ISP - probably Benton REA Net).

              Clay

              Clay
              ========

            • captnkliegle
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 5, 2010
                I have been running a solar powered WX digi for over ten years, with improvements over time.

                Started out with a 15' piece of 1.5" Black Iron pipe with Diamond X-200 on the top. A flexible solar panel mounted at an angle below it. Then a wooden box the size of a bird house below the panel. An old car battery was placed in a 5 gallon bucket and buried underground for more stable battery temps. The KPC-3, HTX-202, and Peet Bros WX station, and solar charge controller were all in the 'bird house'.
                The pipe was imbedded into the ground using a hand operate post hole digger.

                I have since improved things and have two towers (100' and 68'), two sheds, 440 amp/hrs of storage via 6V golf cart batteries in series/parllel combination in each shed, and lots of solar panels on the roofs. There are now two repeaters and one APRS WX digi in the sheds, along with WiFi and commerical power. The solar system is still there charging batteries, but when the power goes out, everything keeps running.

                You just need to have enough battery reserve for cloudy winter days (long COLD nights) and survive with snow covering the panels for extended periods of time. More battery and larger the panel the better!

                I used the flexible ones (Uni-solar) initially due to the remote location and hunters liking to shoot holes in property. They can take small caliber weapons and still produce power! The downside is they are not as efficient at creating power versus the ridgid glass ones.
                All panels I have collected after the inital Uni-Solar ones were used from word of mouth sales, craigs list, want adds, etc, and the dollars/watt was in the $2.45 range. So try and hunt down used panels if you can!

                Check this site out:
                http://www.solar-electric.com/1to39wasopa.html

                73 de Kriss
                KA1GJU-3
              • Christopher Snell
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 5, 2010
                  On Friday, December 3, 2010, Clay Jackson <clayj@...> wrote:
                  > Will do - I guess the next question is; does anyone know of a reasonably inexpensive 2M Yagi?    I think I'm going to go that way, rather than leave things to chance.

                  Build your own! It's one of the easiest to build. I used a piece of
                  PVC for the central shaft and the leftover tubing from a broken tv
                  yagi I had for the elements. There are calculators on the net that
                  will help you determine element spacing, etc.

                  Arrow Antennas is another good option. He's a good guy to work with.
                  His yagis use elements made from Easton hunting arrow shafts.

                  Chris
                  NW5W