Re: [tracker2] TS2000 vs OT2

  • Wes Johnston, AI4PX
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 4, 2006
      Also, I've watched my d700 talk to the TNC... just to collect GPRMC and GPGGA, it has to constantly set the buffer to either/or.  Once the data is collected and it has constructed a packet to send, it does it in two steps.  It first sets the UI path to the longitude and path, then as soon as the TNC accepts that command it puts it into converse mode and sends the data portion of the mic-e packet.  Then it's back to command mode and toggling between GPRMC and GPGGA.  Pretty clunky.  I suppose if the OT tnc would just gobble up any old command and not send an error message, the kenwood would believe that the command was accepted.  The OT TNC would simply ignore the things that kenwood sends it (except for messages and message ACKs), and pretty much decide on it's own what and when to send.  It's like you would have a MYCALL command on the kenwood menu, but the OT would ignore it.  Any packet received would simply be passed along to the kenwood to display.

      I tried once to make smartbeaconing work on the d700 by making a supervisory processor watch for the conditions to trigger a beacon and send the BCN 0<cr>BCN 1<cr> commands.  Problem was that if it wanted to beacon and you were entering a message on the mic keypad, it would bail out of your message when the BCN commands hit on the serial port.  'Twas just to aggrivating.
      Wes

      On 11/4/06, Clay Jackson <clayj@...> wrote:

      Good points - turns out were kinda screwed on this anyway.  I got a look at a Service Manual (online) last nite; and, from what I could tell (I wasn't able to bring up the board pictorials, but did look at the schematic and the component lists) the TNC is actually a two chip set installed on the main logic board.   So, it would take a fair amount of hardware hacking to replace 'em anyway; and then, as you point out, the firmware would probably still be an issue.

      Oh, well - it was a thought...

      Clay
      N7QNM

      On Nov 1, 2006, at 9:56 PM, James Ewen wrote:

      On 11/2/06, Clay Jackson <clayj@...> wrote:
      The firmware will definitely need addressing; but, I'm guessing that it's pretty simple, because the 'Kenwood' commands look real similar to the 'Tasco' commands documented in the Alinco manual.

      The commands look similar because they are the same units.

      My guess is that all they REALLY do is pass the inputs from the serial port on to the TASCO, and perhaps generate a few commands from the radio firmware to handle the front panel functions like setting baud rate and so on.

      That is where the problem lies. If you are going to replace the TNC in the Kenwood, it has to respond to the commands that are sent from the Kenwood user interface firmware. Unless , of course, you are going to ignore most of the radio, and only use the TNC and one transmitter and receiver.

      I would suggest that if you are looking to do the latter, it would be cheaper to buy an Alinco, especially if you are looking to do so with a TS-2000.

      Where there's silence, there is no Hope.
    • KB4YTM
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 4, 2006
        Hey Scott,

        When this is available, will it do both kiss mode AND 1-wire wx at the
        same time?

        Thanks
        Richard
        KB4YTM

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, <scott@...> wrote:

        > Nope. That's next.
        >
        > Scott
        >

        > _____

        Behalf

      • scott@opentrac.org
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 4, 2006
          Yeah.  Does Peet Bros and KISS at the same time now.  Once I get the 1-wire stuff ported, you should be able to do 1-wire weather, KISS, digipeating, and tracking with waypoint output (or console mode) at the same time.  Not that many people use mobile weather stations, but there are a few.

          Scott

          When this is available, will it do both kiss mode AND 1-wire wx at the
          same time?

          Thanks
          Richard
          KB4YTM

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, <scott@...> wrote:

          > Nope. That's next.
          >
          > Scott
          >

          > _____

        • EM Sharp
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 25, 2006
            Should I be looking for a hardware problem?
            My OT2 while running on build 54030 gives a Temp of B9C when the Temp
            Offset is set to 16. With other settings the display is also not what
            I would expect.

            Should I be looking for a hardware problem or is there a problem with
            the firmware and/or configuration program?

            Is there a way (Command or otherwise) of setting the offset from
            Command Mode without going back to the Configuration program?

            I am still running with the release B values in the filter for the
            2211 decoder and the unit is not doing too well and is VERY sensitive
            to audio level. Are the values given in the 9/10/2006 Tracker2
            Revision the best current ones to be used? In other words, should I
            update the card with these components to improve decode?

            Elmer
          • scott@opentrac.org
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 27, 2006
              Yeah, that's weird.  Did you check the voltage on the temperature sensor?  It should read 10 mV per kelvin, so at room temperature it should be around 2.9 volts.

              I could have sworn I added a temperature offset command - I'm going to have to go check on that.

              Do you have a 5.1k or 51k resistor installed on the 2211?  Is your board a B or C?  Have you tried tuning it using an external audio source, like the APRS TNC test CD?  You can use the alternating tones to set the demodulator to 50% duty cycle.

              Scott

              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 28, 2006
                Scott:
                1) My problem on the temp sensor. I installed it backwards, my glasses
                must have been dirty -- shame on me. I think I fried it because it now
                produces 1.5 v at room temp. I'll order a fresh one in my next batch of
                stuff.
                2) Can't help you on this one. If the command is there to set temp
                offset, I haven't found it in the command file -- maybe I just don't
                know what name to look for.
                3) I have a 4.7K resistor installed in the 2211 circuit (as R8). My
                board is a reasonably early B version. I have replaced the C1 cap which
                was .1 uf with a .01 cap. Decode is working much better. Can I use the
                CALIBRATE ALT function with the jumper set for loop back (JP1-2+3) as a
                50% duty cycle until I get a CD or some other source of audio. Maybe I
                should just use another TNC in calibrate mode as the data source -- I
                have TINY2's, AEA PK96's, and TAPR2 clones all of which produce
                alternating tones. A 'scope to observe is no problem for me. I will
                get a CD however when I can get around to it.
                -----
                (((
                I am having a bit of a problem setting the deviation level on the
                OpenTracker 1. What is the recommended method of keying it up to
                measure the deviation produced by the radio (HT, Mobile or whatever)? We
                are running several of these and some of them are not being decoded as
                reliably as I would like by TNC's with 2211's in them.
                )))

                Elmer