ARGENT OT2m as IGATE with UI-View 32 V2.03 setup?

  • Kent Hufford
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2010

      I have been running Ui-view32 as an IGATE with a new KPC3+ (in KISS mode) for about a year. I'm tired of getting emails from the APRS police that a new KPC3+ with current ROMs is bad with UI-View32 and I am ruining the APRS RF atmosphere.

      So, I have a ARGENT OT2m TNC that I would like to replace that nasty KPC-3+ with.

      I've read the ARGENT manual about setting the OT2m in KISS mode. What I'm not sure of is the caution in the front that talks about using a different callsign than the "host" if I also want to digi. Which I do.

      Can someone help me thru the setup of this new setup without telling me I need to change to a sound card TNC, TinyTrack4 or some new software that is supported?

      Thanks in advance

      Kent

      KQ4KK

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2010
        You can just leave the OT2m set to NOCALL, or set it up with some bogus
        callsign, and make sure it's not set to digi or anything if you're
        having UI-View32 take care of that. The difference is that a KPC-3+
        does nothing else while it's in KISS mode, but the OT2m still acks
        messages, digipeats packets, and so forth.

        Scott

        On 11/7/2010 5:34 PM, Kent Hufford wrote:
        > I have been running Ui-view32 as an IGATE with a new KPC3+ (in KISS
        > mode) for about a year. I'm tired of getting emails from the APRS police
        > that a new KPC3+ with current ROMs is bad with UI-View32 and I am
        > ruining the APRS RF atmosphere.
        >
        > So, I have a ARGENT OT2m TNC that I would like to replace that nasty
        > KPC-3+ with.
        >
        > I've read the ARGENT manual about setting the OT2m in KISS mode. What
        > I'm not sure of is the caution in the front that talks about using a
        > different callsign than the "host" if I also want to digi. Which I do.
        >
        > Can someone help me thru the setup of this new setup without telling me
        > I need to change to a sound card TNC, TinyTrack4 or some new software
        > that is supported?
        >
        > Thanks in advance
        >
        > Kent
        >
        > KQ4KK

      • Keith VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 8, 2010
          Kent KQ4KK wrote...

          > I have been running UI-View32 as an IGATE with a new KPC3+ (in KISS
          > mode) for about a year. I'm tired of getting emails from the APRS police
          > that a new KPC3+ with current ROMs is bad with UI-View32 and I am
          > ruining the APRS RF atmosphere.

          They aren't "APRS police". They are just concerned APRS users that are
          observing delays caused by the KPC3+ running in KISS mode. It is a well
          known problem that occurs after the TNC has been in KISS mode for a week
          or two.

          > So, I have a ARGENT OT2m TNC that I would like to replace that nasty
          > KPC-3+ with.

          That would be a good solution.

          > I've read the ARGENT manual about setting the OT2m in KISS mode.
          > What I'm not sure of is the caution in the front that talks about using a
          > different callsign than the "host" if I also want to digi. Which I do.

          You would have to decide what was going to be the digi. If you are
          an IGate and you are surrounded by digis, the best solution might be to
          run an IGate and not be a digi. However, if local mobile users would
          benefit from the digi, then go ahead. It would take local knowledge
          to determine if an additional digi would help or hinder the APRS
          network there.

          > Can someone help me thru the setup of this new setup without telling me
          > I need to change to a sound card TNC, TinyTrack4 or some new software
          > that is supported?

          I would disable the digi function and beaconing in the OT2m and have
          UI-View put it in KISS mode when the program starts, and take it out of
          KISS mode when it stops.

          003,003,003
          INT 0^MSMART OFF^MWAY OFF^M
          AMODE KISS
          RESET

          The INTerval 0 (enter) is to tell it to not beacon... not necessary if you have
          already done so. The SMART OFF (enter) disables SmartBeaconing. The
          WAYpoints OFF (enter) is to tell it to not bother outputting received
          position reports as waypoints to a non-existent GPS.

          And of course...

          192,255,192

          to exit KISS mode, although "003,003,003" should also do the job.

          73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH