Re: [tracker2] T2-301 & Nuvi350 Message issue

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 17, 2010
      Scott KB7DZR wrote...

      > Been running the T2-301 & the Nuvi350 for about 4 months now and
      > it works great, makes a super package. Well until I had to change some
      > settings. I can see stations and also it sends its beacons just fine. I can
      > no longer send a message or receive I also can not communicate with
      > the T2-301 with the 350. I have reset both the T2-301 and the 350.
      > The settings I changed was only the beacon text, quite time and adjusted
      > the txlevel.
      >
      > Baud rate is at 4800 both A & B
      > Port A is set to Garmin
      > Port B is set to Flow (have tried auto)

      Possibly an FMI cable problem? Perhaps you could do a temporary cable swap
      with another T2-301 user. You said that it was still beaconing. Assuming that it's
      sending a proper position, that would indicate that the T2-301 was getting NMEA
      data from the Nuvi. Perhaps the Nuvi isn't getting any data from the T2-301...
      but you said that you could "see stations". That would indicate that you were
      getting data from the T2-301! You could connect a terminal program to port B
      and look for received traffic, or set AMODE to AUTO and connect it to port A.
      The Nuvi does have external power, right? How about doing a firmware update
      from the PC, or even just reading and writing from the PC? It would be nice to
      pin down what wasn't communicating with what.

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
    • Kent Hufford
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2010

        I have been running Ui-view32 as an IGATE with a new KPC3+ (in KISS mode) for about a year. I'm tired of getting emails from the APRS police that a new KPC3+ with current ROMs is bad with UI-View32 and I am ruining the APRS RF atmosphere.

        So, I have a ARGENT OT2m TNC that I would like to replace that nasty KPC-3+ with.

        I've read the ARGENT manual about setting the OT2m in KISS mode. What I'm not sure of is the caution in the front that talks about using a different callsign than the "host" if I also want to digi. Which I do.

        Can someone help me thru the setup of this new setup without telling me I need to change to a sound card TNC, TinyTrack4 or some new software that is supported?

        Thanks in advance

        Kent

        KQ4KK

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 7, 2010
          You can just leave the OT2m set to NOCALL, or set it up with some bogus
          callsign, and make sure it's not set to digi or anything if you're
          having UI-View32 take care of that. The difference is that a KPC-3+
          does nothing else while it's in KISS mode, but the OT2m still acks
          messages, digipeats packets, and so forth.

          Scott

          On 11/7/2010 5:34 PM, Kent Hufford wrote:
          > I have been running Ui-view32 as an IGATE with a new KPC3+ (in KISS
          > mode) for about a year. I'm tired of getting emails from the APRS police
          > that a new KPC3+ with current ROMs is bad with UI-View32 and I am
          > ruining the APRS RF atmosphere.
          >
          > So, I have a ARGENT OT2m TNC that I would like to replace that nasty
          > KPC-3+ with.
          >
          > I've read the ARGENT manual about setting the OT2m in KISS mode. What
          > I'm not sure of is the caution in the front that talks about using a
          > different callsign than the "host" if I also want to digi. Which I do.
          >
          > Can someone help me thru the setup of this new setup without telling me
          > I need to change to a sound card TNC, TinyTrack4 or some new software
          > that is supported?
          >
          > Thanks in advance
          >
          > Kent
          >
          > KQ4KK

        • Keith VE7GDH
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 8, 2010
            Kent KQ4KK wrote...

            > I have been running UI-View32 as an IGATE with a new KPC3+ (in KISS
            > mode) for about a year. I'm tired of getting emails from the APRS police
            > that a new KPC3+ with current ROMs is bad with UI-View32 and I am
            > ruining the APRS RF atmosphere.

            They aren't "APRS police". They are just concerned APRS users that are
            observing delays caused by the KPC3+ running in KISS mode. It is a well
            known problem that occurs after the TNC has been in KISS mode for a week
            or two.

            > So, I have a ARGENT OT2m TNC that I would like to replace that nasty
            > KPC-3+ with.

            That would be a good solution.

            > I've read the ARGENT manual about setting the OT2m in KISS mode.
            > What I'm not sure of is the caution in the front that talks about using a
            > different callsign than the "host" if I also want to digi. Which I do.

            You would have to decide what was going to be the digi. If you are
            an IGate and you are surrounded by digis, the best solution might be to
            run an IGate and not be a digi. However, if local mobile users would
            benefit from the digi, then go ahead. It would take local knowledge
            to determine if an additional digi would help or hinder the APRS
            network there.

            > Can someone help me thru the setup of this new setup without telling me
            > I need to change to a sound card TNC, TinyTrack4 or some new software
            > that is supported?

            I would disable the digi function and beaconing in the OT2m and have
            UI-View put it in KISS mode when the program starts, and take it out of
            KISS mode when it stops.

            003,003,003
            INT 0^MSMART OFF^MWAY OFF^M
            AMODE KISS
            RESET

            The INTerval 0 (enter) is to tell it to not beacon... not necessary if you have
            already done so. The SMART OFF (enter) disables SmartBeaconing. The
            WAYpoints OFF (enter) is to tell it to not bother outputting received
            position reports as waypoints to a non-existent GPS.

            And of course...

            192,255,192

            to exit KISS mode, although "003,003,003" should also do the job.

            73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH