RE: Ok Now What?

  • Ian ZL1VFO
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 2 4:27 AM
      > Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 18:32:05 -0800
      > From: <scott@...>
      > Subject: RE: Ok Now What?

      > Wouldn't that mean putting +/- 9 volts on TTL inputs? Will the MAX232
      > tolerate that?

      > Scott

      Well, mine and a few other Hams I've done boards for have been running
      like that for a several years now, with no ill effects.

      I suppose adding (say) a 10k resistor between pin14 (T1out) & pin10
      (T2in) would reduce the amount of current flowing into pin 10 and
      onwards through whatever input protection diodes there are inside the
      MAX232. If I get a bit of time tommorow I might try various
      resistances and see what effect it has on the voltages applied to
      pin10 (T2in) while watching it with a 'scope.

      Ian ZL1VFO