Garmin FMI updates

  • Ron K7CDL
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 9, 2010
      does anyone have any updated on the Garmin FMI on gps units? is the nuvi 350 the only way to go? is the nuvi 350 still the only one that doesnt make duplicates waypoints? i like the nuvi 350 but they are getting harder and harder to find and i really dont like buying used items, i only trust new items or fully rebuilt items.
      K7CDL
      Ron
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 11, 2010
        The 1200, 1300, and 1400 series support FMI 2.5, which has waypoint
        display capability, but it doesn't automatically refresh the map and it
        doesn't display labels unless you tap on a station.

        Scott

        On 10/9/2010 10:02 PM, Ron K7CDL wrote:

        > does anyone have any updated on the Garmin FMI on gps units? is the nuvi
        > 350 the only way to go? is the nuvi 350 still the only one that doesnt
        > make duplicates waypoints? i like the nuvi 350 but they are getting
        > harder and harder to find and i really dont like buying used items, i
        > only trust new items or fully rebuilt items.
        > K7CDL
        > Ron

      • RJ Stiles
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 12, 2010
          Have you personally seen a 1200, 1300, and 1400 display waypoints? Do you get duplicates? The Wiki says that they don't display waypoint from the Tracker2:
          http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php/Garmin_FMI

          KD0FTJ
          Rob

          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 12, 2010
            I've been using a 1300 for testing. You've got to leave the map screen
            and come back before any new waypoints will show up.

            Scott

            On 10/12/2010 4:43 AM, RJ Stiles wrote:

            > Have you personally seen a 1200, 1300, and 1400 display waypoints? Do
            > you get duplicates? The Wiki says that they don't display waypoint from
            > the Tracker2:
            > http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php/Garmin_FMI
            >
            > KD0FTJ
            > Rob

            > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > The 1200, 1300, and 1400 series support FMI 2.5, which has waypoint
            > > display capability, but it doesn't automatically refresh the map and it
            > > doesn't display labels unless you tap on a station.
            > >
            > > Scott
            > >
            > > On 10/9/2010 10:02 PM, Ron K7CDL wrote:
            > > >

            > > > does anyone have any updated on the Garmin FMI on gps units? is the
            > nuvi
            > > > 350 the only way to go? is the nuvi 350 still the only one that doesnt
            > > > make duplicates waypoints? i like the nuvi 350 but they are getting
            > > > harder and harder to find and i really dont like buying used items, i
            > > > only trust new items or fully rebuilt items.
            > > > K7CDL
            > > > Ron

          • Paul Vittorino
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 12, 2010
              Scott,

              Is the FMI 2.5 support in the latest T2 release or is it still
              experimental? Let me know the minimum version and I'll update the wiki
              (seeing as I made the original entries).

              Paul

              On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
              > I've been using a 1300 for testing.  You've got to leave the map screen
              > and come back before any new waypoints will show up.
              >
              > Scott
              >
              > On 10/12/2010 4:43 AM, RJ Stiles wrote:
              >>

              >> Have you personally seen a 1200, 1300, and 1400 display waypoints? Do
              >> you get duplicates? The Wiki says that they don't display waypoint from
              >> the Tracker2:
              >> http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php/Garmin_FMI
              >>
              >> KD0FTJ
              >> Rob
              >>
              >> --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,
              >> Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
              >>  >
              >>  > The 1200, 1300, and 1400 series support FMI 2.5, which has waypoint
              >>  > display capability, but it doesn't automatically refresh the map and it
              >>  > doesn't display labels unless you tap on a station.
              >>  >
              >>  > Scott
              >>  >
              >>  > On 10/9/2010 10:02 PM, Ron K7CDL wrote:
              >>  > >
              >>  > >
              >>  > > does anyone have any updated on the Garmin FMI on gps units? is the
              >> nuvi
              >>  > > 350 the only way to go? is the nuvi 350 still the only one that doesnt
              >>  > > make duplicates waypoints? i like the nuvi 350 but they are getting
              >>  > > harder and harder to find and i really dont like buying used items, i
              >>  > > only trust new items or fully rebuilt items.
              >>  > > K7CDL
              >>  > > Ron
              >>  > >
              >>  > >
              >>  >

            • RJ Stiles
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 12, 2010
                Scott,

                That's great! Do other functions, such as messaging, work on the 1300?

                KD0FTJ
                Rob

                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 12, 2010
                  They *should*, but when I updated my 1300 from the beta firmware to the
                  released version, I couldn't get messaging to work. I haven't had time
                  to troubleshoot it.

                  One thing that *does* work is waypoint expiration. The tracker
                  automatically clears old stations off the map if they haven't been heard
                  in a certain amount of time.

                  Scott

                  On 10/12/2010 12:37 PM, RJ Stiles wrote:

                  > Scott,
                  >
                  > That's great! Do other functions, such as messaging, work on the 1300?
                  >
                  > KD0FTJ
                  > Rob

                  > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I've been using a 1300 for testing. You've got to leave the map screen
                  > > and come back before any new waypoints will show up.
                  > >
                  > > Scott
                  > >
                  > > On 10/12/2010 4:43 AM, RJ Stiles wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > Have you personally seen a 1200, 1300, and 1400 display waypoints? Do
                  > > > you get duplicates? The Wiki says that they don't display waypoint from
                  > > > the Tracker2:
                  > > > http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php/Garmin_FMI
                  > > >
                  > > > KD0FTJ
                  > > > Rob
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,

                  > and it

                  > > > nuvi
                  > doesnt
                  > items, i

                • Randy Love
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 13, 2010
                    On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 10:27 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                    > One thing that *does* work is waypoint expiration.  The tracker
                    > automatically clears old stations off the map if they haven't been heard
                    > in a certain amount of time.

                    One step forward, two steps back, eh Scott? :)
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 28, 2010
                      Still testing and tweaking. The T2 code is in such flux right now that
                      I can't do any minor updates - short of going back to the stable branch
                      and making updates there, which will have to be tracked and merged back
                      into the new version, which I'd prefer to avoid.

                      Scott

                      On 10/12/2010 12:27 PM, Paul Vittorino wrote:
                      > Scott,
                      >
                      > Is the FMI 2.5 support in the latest T2 release or is it still
                      > experimental? Let me know the minimum version and I'll update the wiki
                      > (seeing as I made the original entries).
                      >
                      > Paul
                      >
                      > On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Scott Miller <scott@...
                      > <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>> wrote:
                      > > I've been using a 1300 for testing. You've got to leave the map screen
                      > > and come back before any new waypoints will show up.
                      > >
                      > > Scott
                      > >
                      > > On 10/12/2010 4:43 AM, RJ Stiles wrote:
                      > >>

                      > >> Have you personally seen a 1200, 1300, and 1400 display waypoints? Do
                      > >> you get duplicates? The Wiki says that they don't display waypoint from
                      > >> the Tracker2:
                      > >> http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php/Garmin_FMI
                      > >>
                      > >> KD0FTJ
                      > >> Rob
                      > >>
                      > >> --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,

                      > and it

                      > >> nuvi
                      > doesnt
                      > items, i

                    • Greenhalgh, Christopher K.
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 1, 2010
                        I've got an Alinco DR-135t/T2-135 and a Byonics GPSR feeding port b, and I'm getting this cross talk noise from the speaker. If I unplug the GPSR, it goes away. The volume is turned down all the way, and I even put an external speaker jack in the rear, but that didn't quite it.

                        It's annoying to the point that my better half will not let me have the radio on while she is in the car.

                        Anybody know a fix for this?

                        Thanks,

                        -Chris
                      • Rudy Benner
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 1, 2010
                          Pack her bag.

                          ve3bdr

                          Sent: Monday, November 01, 2010 11:56 AM
                          Subject: [tracker2] DR-135 cross talk

                          I've got an Alinco DR-135t/T2-135 and a Byonics GPSR feeding port b, and I'm getting this cross talk noise from the speaker. If I unplug the GPSR, it goes away. The volume is turned down all the way, and I even put an external speaker jack in the rear, but that didn't quite it.

                          It's annoying to the point that my better half will not let me have the radio on while she is in the car.

                          Anybody know a fix for this?

                          Thanks,

                          -Chris

                          No virus found in this message.

                        • Fred Hillhouse
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 1, 2010
                            She wouldn't like riding in my car. I have the radio up just enough to hear packets. Maybe you should turn up the volume so packets can be heard as well. Of course it would be nice not the hear anything at all.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 1, 2010
                              It's a known problem with the DR-135T. Easiest fix is to plug a blank
                              3.5mm plug into the speaker jack in the back. That'll shut off the
                              speaker entirely.

                              Scott

                              On 11/1/2010 8:56 AM, Greenhalgh, Christopher K. wrote:
                              > I've got an Alinco DR-135t/T2-135 and a Byonics GPSR feeding port b, and
                              > I'm getting this cross talk noise from the speaker. If I unplug the
                              > GPSR, it goes away. The volume is turned down all the way, and I even
                              > put an external speaker jack in the rear, but that didn't quite it.
                              >
                              > It's annoying to the point that my better half will not let me have the
                              > radio on while she is in the car.
                              >
                              > Anybody know a fix for this?
                              >
                              > Thanks,
                              >
                              > -Chris

                            • Keith VE7GDH
                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 1, 2010
                                Scott N1VG wrote...

                                > It's a known problem with the DR-135T. Easiest fix is to plug a blank
                                > 3.5mm plug into the speaker jack in the back. That'll shut off the
                                > speaker entirely.

                                I resisted a reply saying "put the wife outside the car" hi! I have the
                                same combo, but don't hear any packet "bleeding" into the speaker
                                unless I turn the volume up. With it all of the way down, it's completely
                                silent. Actually, I don't hear the packet tones at all with the volume
                                up. I just hear a click or pop when a packet is received and a quieter
                                one at the end of the beacon.

                                73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                              • RJ Stiles
                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 26, 2011
                                  Scott,

                                  Any updates on support for the Nuvi 1200/1300/1400?

                                  Thanks,
                                  KD0FTJ
                                  Rob

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 26, 2011
                                    The T2 still supports the 1200/1300/1400, but Garmin still hasn't fixed
                                    the bug with the waypoint display.

                                    Scott

                                  • rondall swart
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 26, 2011
                                      thanks for the update I keep sitting here waiting for the day they update
                                      it. if they ever fix it would you (scott) know right away?

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 27, 2011
                                        Trust me, I'll let everyone know the minute they fix it!

                                        Scott

                                      • kd4dra
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 27, 2011
                                          THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!
                                          Rick
                                          KD4DRA

                                          Trust me, I'll let everyone know the minute they fix it!

                                          Scott

                                          On 9/26/2011 5:10 PM, rondall swart wrote:
                                          > thanks for the update I keep sitting here waiting for the day they update
                                          > it. if they ever fix it would you (scott) know right away?
                                          >
                                          > K7CDL
                                          > Ron

                                          <*> Your email settings:
                                              Individual Email | Traditional

                                          <*> To change settings online go to:
                                              (Yahoo! ID required)

                                          <*> To change settings via email:
                                              tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                              tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                        • Chris Ronk
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Oct 5, 2011
                                            The T2 still has many issues with the 1300 that are not Garmin's fault. My buddy and I are having serious message AWK problems.... and there are problems using compressed data packets with the 1300.

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Oct 6, 2011
                                              I've got the compressed packet problem on my list to look into further.
                                              If you can reliably reproduce the ACK problem, let me know how. I do
                                              see glitches sometimes, but it's hard to duplicate.

                                              Scott

                                              On 10/5/2011 11:46 PM, Chris Ronk wrote:
                                              > The T2 still has many issues with the 1300 that are not Garmin's fault.
                                              > My buddy and I are having serious message AWK problems.... and there are
                                              > problems using compressed data packets with the 1300.

                                            • Chris Ronk
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Oct 7, 2011
                                                It is very easy for me to replicate.  My buddy has a OT2 and a 1300.  I have a OT2 and a 1300.  When we send messages back and forth, 50% of the time, the message is repeated over and over until it is manually deleted.  If any other messages are in the outbox while one of these is hung up, it is not ever transmitted...one must delete all outbox messages and re-send.  I've also noticed some funky messaging issues while in a navigated route...

                                                I've got the compressed packet problem on my list to look into further.
                                                  If you can reliably reproduce the ACK problem, let me know how.  I do
                                                see glitches sometimes, but it's hard to duplicate.

                                                Scott

                                                On 10/5/2011 11:46 PM, Chris Ronk wrote: > The T2 still has many issues with the 1300 that are not Garmin's fault. > My buddy and I are having serious message AWK problems.... and there are > problems using compressed data packets with the 1300. > > -----Original Message----- > From: Scott Miller <scott@... <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>> > To: tracker2 <tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>> > Sent: Tue, Sep 27, 2011 4:06 am > Subject: Re: [tracker2] Re: Garmin FMI updates > > Trust me, I'll let everyone know the minute they fix it! > > Scott > > On 9/26/2011 5:10 PM, rondall swart wrote: > > thanks for the update I keep sitting here waiting for the day they update > > it. if they ever fix it would you (scott) know right away? > > > > K7CDL > > Ron > > ------------------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tracker2/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tracker2/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: tracker2-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                              • Chris Ronk
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Oct 26, 2011
                                                  Any response to this?  I can easily replicate the problem and send you the output if you like.

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Oct 28, 2011
                                                    Hi Chris,

                                                    It's still on my list to check out.

                                                    As for the message queue, there's only so much I can do through FMI to
                                                    control the unit's behavior. They didn't design the protocol with any
                                                    thought to multiple message destinations.

                                                    Scott

                                                    On 10/26/2011 9:49 AM, Chris Ronk wrote:
                                                    > Any response to this? I can easily replicate the problem and send you
                                                    > the output if you like.

                                                  • Chris Ronk
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Nov 2, 2011
                                                      I very much appreciate the update.  This is the third time the issue has come up, and thrice I heard "I can't duplicate it", and thrice I've said "It's easy to duplicate."  It's a lot easier to hear "I haven't gotten to it yet" than another "I can't replicate it". ;)