Commands to T2

  • Pete Lilja
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 6, 2010
      After a few missteps on start-up I now have an OT2M set-up and running as a local fill-in digipeater.  Cool stuff, this is.

      I recently was at another ham's shack who had just purchased a service monitor and I was able to see the deviation on his 'scope from my mobile T2-135.  I was happy to see it was spot on.  It got me to realize that I could also see my new fill-in digi the same way from his shack by sending it a beacon command via RF.  That's gonna be pretty cool when I get that done.

      So, while playing with RF commands using my Kenwood D7 HT I decided to send a beacon command to my Alinco DR-135 equipped with a T2-135 board.  Oddly, when it responded with a beacon report the connected Nuvi 350 showed it's position 6300+ miles away.  When beaconing the Alinco/T2-135 via the Nuvi it showed the correct position.  The odd-ball position report does not appear on APRS.fi however, so I'm thinking the Nuvi muffed the data.  Any ideas on this?

      Anyway - this remote command stuff is pretty cool.  I sure do like the Argent products and service!

      Pete
      KC0GPB as the home fill-in digi, KC0GPB-7 for the mobile T2-135, KC0GPB-5 for the Kenwood D7 and KC0GPB-11 in the OT+ for high altitude ballooning.
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 6, 2010
        So you sent a BEACON command with the D7 and the T2-135 responded, and
        plotted its own position incorrectly when it was heard back from the
        digi - is that right?

        Scott

        On 10/6/2010 9:12 AM, Pete Lilja wrote:

        > After a few missteps on start-up I now have an OT2M set-up and running
        > as a local fill-in digipeater. Cool stuff, this is.
        >
        > I recently was at another ham's shack who had just purchased a service
        > monitor and I was able to see the deviation on his 'scope from my mobile
        > T2-135. I was happy to see it was spot on. It got me to realize that I
        > could also see my new fill-in digi the same way from his shack by
        > sending it a beacon command via RF. That's gonna be pretty cool when I
        > get that done.
        >
        > So, while playing with RF commands using my Kenwood D7 HT I decided to
        > send a beacon command to my Alinco DR-135 equipped with a T2-135 board.
        > Oddly, when it responded with a beacon report the connected Nuvi 350
        > showed it's position 6300+ miles away. When beaconing the Alinco/T2-135
        > via the Nuvi it showed the correct position. The odd-ball position
        > report does not appear on APRS.fi however, so I'm thinking the Nuvi
        > muffed the data. Any ideas on this?
        >
        > Anyway - this remote command stuff is pretty cool. I sure do like the
        > Argent products and service!
        >
        > Pete
        > KC0GPB as the home fill-in digi, KC0GPB-7 for the mobile T2-135,
        > KC0GPB-5 for the Kenwood D7 and KC0GPB-11 in the OT+ for high altitude
        > ballooning.

      • Pete Lilja
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 6, 2010
          Yeah.  I think.  You describe what seemed to have happened.

          I can only guess it plotted incorrectly after hearing from the digi but can't be sure.  If that were the case I'd think it would have shown up online at aprs.fi.

          Sending the --bea command thru the Nuvi to the T2-135 and all was correct again.

          Weird, eh?

          Pete

          On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
          So you sent a BEACON command with the D7 and the T2-135 responded, and
          plotted its own position incorrectly when it was heard back from the
          digi - is that right?

          Scott

          On 10/6/2010 9:12 AM, Pete Lilja wrote:

          > After a few missteps on start-up I now have an OT2M set-up and running
          > as a local fill-in digipeater.  Cool stuff, this is.
          >
          > I recently was at another ham's shack who had just purchased a service
          > monitor and I was able to see the deviation on his 'scope from my mobile
          > T2-135.  I was happy to see it was spot on.  It got me to realize that I
          > could also see my new fill-in digi the same way from his shack by
          > sending it a beacon command via RF.  That's gonna be pretty cool when I
          > get that done.
          >
          > So, while playing with RF commands using my Kenwood D7 HT I decided to
          > send a beacon command to my Alinco DR-135 equipped with a T2-135 board.
          > Oddly, when it responded with a beacon report the connected Nuvi 350
          > showed it's position 6300+ miles away.  When beaconing the Alinco/T2-135
          > via the Nuvi it showed the correct position.  The odd-ball position
          > report does not appear on APRS.fi however, so I'm thinking the Nuvi
          > muffed the data.  Any ideas on this?
          >
          > Anyway - this remote command stuff is pretty cool.  I sure do like the
          > Argent products and service!
          >
          > Pete
          > KC0GPB as the home fill-in digi, KC0GPB-7 for the mobile T2-135,
          > KC0GPB-5 for the Kenwood D7 and KC0GPB-11 in the OT+ for high altitude
          > ballooning.

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
             tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 6, 2010
            Yeah. Are you running in compressed mode?

            Scott

            On 10/6/2010 10:39 AM, Pete Lilja wrote:

            > Yeah. I think. You describe what seemed to have happened.
            >
            > I can only guess it plotted incorrectly after hearing from the digi but
            > can't be sure. If that were the case I'd think it would have shown up
            > online at aprs.fi <http://aprs.fi>.
            >
            > Sending the --bea command thru the Nuvi to the T2-135 and all was
            > correct again.
            >
            > Weird, eh?
            >
            > Pete
            >
            > On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...
            > <mailto:scott@...>> wrote:
            >
            > So you sent a BEACON command with the D7 and the T2-135 responded, and
            > plotted its own position incorrectly when it was heard back from the
            > digi - is that right?
            >
            > Scott
            >
            > On 10/6/2010 9:12 AM, Pete Lilja wrote:
            > >

            > > After a few missteps on start-up I now have an OT2M set-up and
            > running
            > > as a local fill-in digipeater. Cool stuff, this is.
            > >
            > > I recently was at another ham's shack who had just purchased a
            > service
            > > monitor and I was able to see the deviation on his 'scope from my
            > mobile
            > > T2-135. I was happy to see it was spot on. It got me to realize
            > that I
            > > could also see my new fill-in digi the same way from his shack by
            > > sending it a beacon command via RF. That's gonna be pretty cool
            > when I
            > > get that done.
            > >
            > > So, while playing with RF commands using my Kenwood D7 HT I
            > decided to
            > > send a beacon command to my Alinco DR-135 equipped with a T2-135
            > board.
            > > Oddly, when it responded with a beacon report the connected Nuvi 350
            > > showed it's position 6300+ miles away. When beaconing the
            > Alinco/T2-135
            > > via the Nuvi it showed the correct position. The odd-ball position
            > > report does not appear on APRS.fi however, so I'm thinking the Nuvi
            > > muffed the data. Any ideas on this?
            > >
            > > Anyway - this remote command stuff is pretty cool. I sure do
            > like the
            > > Argent products and service!
            > >
            > > Pete
            > > KC0GPB as the home fill-in digi, KC0GPB-7 for the mobile T2-135,
            > > KC0GPB-5 for the Kenwood D7 and KC0GPB-11 in the OT+ for high
            > altitude
            > > ballooning.

          • Pete Lilja
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 6, 2010
              Running which / what compressed?

              I just had it happen again playing around.  This time it was with my fill-in digi and the Nuvi.  2 reports  - one off the west coast of Africa and the second off the west coast of South America.

              Pete

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 6, 2010
                Base91 compressed mode... if your position packets have the position
                encoded as a string of 8 characters and not numbers, you're using that mode.

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 6, 2010
                  I guess I dunno.

                  This again doesn't show up on aprs.fi as my station being out of the US.  I think it's something goofy in the nuvi.  It's not a big deal.  It comes around soon enough and the err is so large it's obviously not right.

                  Pete

                • Alan
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 7, 2010
                    Make sure PASSALL is off.