Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: [tracker2] Re: T2-301 not reporting packets sent/heard

Expand Messages
  • James Ewen
    ... What do you mean by change my digi to WIDE2-2 instead of WIDE2-1 ? Do you mean change the outgoing path used by the digi? Are you changing this outgoing
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 5, 2010
      On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 7:59 AM, geoff5093 <geoff1055@...> wrote:

      > So the overall recommendation is to change my digi
      > to WIDE2-2 instead of WIDE2-1, correct?

      What do you mean by "change my digi to WIDE2-2 instead of WIDE2-1"?

      Do you mean change the outgoing path used by the digi?

      Are you changing this outgoing path just to ensure that you can see
      who is digipeating your digipeater? That's not really a good reason to
      add extra load to the local RF network.

      Remember that digipeaters by nature of the fact that they (should) be
      situated on a spot with decent LOS to the local area are already 1 hop
      ahead of the local mobile and home stations, should really use one
      less hop than the local recommended path.

      The digipeaters are there to support the regular users. If the
      infrastructure is making so much noise that the regular users can't be
      heard, then the infrastructure is degrading the network rather than
      enhancing it.

      Yes, adding one more hop to one digipeater won't shut down the
      network, but if every diigpeater added one more hop, it adds a
      significant load to the network.

      If you want to use WIDE2-2 just so that you can see a bigger number on
      the screen, that's not a truly valid justification.

      Look at it this way, your digipeater is advertising that it is a
      fill-in digi. That means that it should only respond to WIDE1-1. How
      is someone 3 digipeaters away going to make use of that information?
      The fill-in digipeater really only needs to advertise it's presence to
      those in direct LOS to itself. Only people that can talk to it
      directly will be able to use the WIDE1-1 alias hop. Sending packets 1
      or 2 hops away on a regular basis is the equivalent of SPAMMING the RF
      network.

      APRS is not an RF propagation testing network. There are other
      networks out there that do that kind of thing.

      I hope this makes sense to you. Putting up a digipeater means you are
      looking more to help others than to pat yourself on the back and watch
      the "hits" on the online tallies.

      James
      VE6SRV
    • James Ewen
      ... Nope, on list means if one other person is wondering the same thing, I ve saved myself having to type this out twice. The way that we configure digipeaters
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 5, 2010
        On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 5:37 AM, <qp2trz@...> wrote:

        > Forgive me for barging in here.
        > I've just started playing with packet. Could you please explain
        > briefly the meaning of WIDE 2-1 and WIDE 2-2.
        > Offlist if convenient please.

        Nope, on list means if one other person is wondering the same thing,
        I've saved myself having to type this out twice.

        The way that we configure digipeaters currently has them set up to act
        upon an alias (WIDEn) with a numeric suffix (-N). As the digipeaters
        act upon the packets (digipeating them), they also decrement the
        numeric suffix. Once the numeric suffix reaches zero, the packet is no
        longer digipeated.

        For maximum efficiency we also configure home fill-in digipeaters
        (which are designed to boost low powered trackers and HTs into the
        main digipeater network) to act upon the WIDE1-1 alias. This is so
        that the fill-in digipeaters and main digipeaters can all work on the
        same alias. Home fill in digipeaters however ignore any other WIDEn-N
        configuration.

        The intial "n" tagged onto the back of the "WIDE" alias is just a
        placeholder, which we use to indicate the initial number of hops
        requested.

        So, in order to ask for a single hop from a main digipeater, we have
        to ask for a WIDE2-1 hop. (Remember that fill-in digipeaters only act
        upon WIDE1-1) This looks like one hop has already been used up, unless
        you know that the original request was for a single hop.

        This is a work around to get a single hop out of a main digipeater,
        and as such it kind of throws a monkey wrench into an otherwise fairly
        straight forward plan.

        Hope that clears things up for you. If not ask again, and we'll try
        and get you straight.

        James
        VE6SRV
      • Keith VE7GDH
        Geoff KB1POR wrote... ... To re-phrase the answer from James, no. Your digi will function and help mobile stations even if it sends no beacons of its own.
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 6, 2010
          Geoff KB1POR wrote...

          > Ah! Thanks, would that also explain why aprs.fi is only showing as
          > KB1POR-2 hearing KB1POR-9 69 times, versus 229 on db0anf
          > (which sounds more like it)?
          >
          > So the overall recommendation is to change my digi to WIDE2-2
          > instead of WIDE2-1, correct?

          To re-phrase the answer from James, no. Your digi will function and help
          mobile stations even if it sends no beacons of its own. Sending them not too
          frequently and with a short path should be more than enough to tell local
          users of the existence of the digi. A "short" path could be no path at all,
          as well as the one hop path that you are using.

          73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
          --
          "I may be lost, but I know exactly where I am!"
        • geoff5093
          ... I understand that wanting to see the traffic online isn t a reason to cause excess RF traffic, but every other digi in the area has the ability to see
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 8, 2010
            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@...> wrote:
            >
            > Geoff KB1POR wrote...
            >
            > > Ah! Thanks, would that also explain why aprs.fi is only showing as
            > > KB1POR-2 hearing KB1POR-9 69 times, versus 229 on db0anf
            > > (which sounds more like it)?
            > >
            > > So the overall recommendation is to change my digi to WIDE2-2
            > > instead of WIDE2-1, correct?
            >
            > To re-phrase the answer from James, no. Your digi will function and help
            > mobile stations even if it sends no beacons of its own. Sending them not too
            > frequently and with a short path should be more than enough to tell local
            > users of the existence of the digi. A "short" path could be no path at all,
            > as well as the one hop path that you are using.
            >
            > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
            > --
            > "I may be lost, but I know exactly where I am!"
            >
            I understand that wanting to see the traffic online isn't a reason to cause excess RF traffic, but every other digi in the area has the ability to see online what stations the digi has heard, and what stations heard it. So either everyone is running wrong settings, or there is something specific to my digi that is causing it not to show up. I tested changing the beacon path from WIDE2-1 to WIDE2-2, and that did seem to solve the issue where my digi wasn't reporting who heard me, although it's not ideal to run WIDE2-2. My TT4 I had prior was set to run WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1, is that any better or worse then WIDE2-2?

            Although another issue that is still present is that my digi is only reporting about 1/3-1/2 of the traffic it digi's and gets sent to APRS-IS. Right now I have the digi function set to WIDE1-1 with 1 hop, preempt and ID enabled.
          • geoff5093
            Correction, it s set to WIDE1 with 1 hop. Digipeat on my call is also enabled.
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 8, 2010
              Correction, it's set to WIDE1 with 1 hop. "Digipeat on my call" is also enabled.

              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "geoff5093" <geoff1055@...> wrote:
              >
              >
              >
              > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Geoff KB1POR wrote...
              > >
              > > > Ah! Thanks, would that also explain why aprs.fi is only showing as
              > > > KB1POR-2 hearing KB1POR-9 69 times, versus 229 on db0anf
              > > > (which sounds more like it)?
              > > >
              > > > So the overall recommendation is to change my digi to WIDE2-2
              > > > instead of WIDE2-1, correct?
              > >
              > > To re-phrase the answer from James, no. Your digi will function and help
              > > mobile stations even if it sends no beacons of its own. Sending them not too
              > > frequently and with a short path should be more than enough to tell local
              > > users of the existence of the digi. A "short" path could be no path at all,
              > > as well as the one hop path that you are using.
              > >
              > > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
              > > --
              > > "I may be lost, but I know exactly where I am!"
              > >
              > I understand that wanting to see the traffic online isn't a reason to cause excess RF traffic, but every other digi in the area has the ability to see online what stations the digi has heard, and what stations heard it. So either everyone is running wrong settings, or there is something specific to my digi that is causing it not to show up. I tested changing the beacon path from WIDE2-1 to WIDE2-2, and that did seem to solve the issue where my digi wasn't reporting who heard me, although it's not ideal to run WIDE2-2. My TT4 I had prior was set to run WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1, is that any better or worse then WIDE2-2?
              >
              > Although another issue that is still present is that my digi is only reporting about 1/3-1/2 of the traffic it digi's and gets sent to APRS-IS. Right now I have the digi function set to WIDE1-1 with 1 hop, preempt and ID enabled.
              >
            • Keith VE7GDH
              Geoff KB1POR wrote... (back on Oct 8 2010) ... The KB1POR-2 digi is still using a path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1. It is a hard rule that no fixed station should be
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 17, 2010
                Geoff KB1POR wrote... (back on Oct 8 2010)

                > I understand that wanting to see the traffic online isn't a reason to cause
                > excess RF traffic, but every other digi in the area has the ability to see
                > online what stations the digi has heard, and what stations heard it. So
                > either everyone is running wrong settings, or there is something specific
                > to my digi that is causing it not to show up. I tested changing the beacon
                > path from WIDE2-1 to WIDE2-2, and that did seem to solve the issue
                > where my digi wasn't reporting who heard me, although it's not ideal to
                > run WIDE2-2. My TT4 I had prior was set to run WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,
                > is that any better or worse then WIDE2-2?

                The KB1POR-2 digi is still using a path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1. It is a hard
                rule that no fixed station should be using a path of WIDE1-1. It should be
                even more so that a digi should NEVER use a path of WIDE1-1. Fill-in digis
                are meant to help mobile stations make it to a high WIDEn-N digi if necessary.
                Your digi indicates that it responds to WIDE1-1 but it also indicates that it is
                390M HAAT... height above average terrain. Is that true? Keep in mind that
                HAAT is not the same as ASL... above sea level. Either way, looking at the
                map, your digi is fairly high up. It is possible that it should be a WIDEn-N
                digi and not just a fill-in digi only. Being high, it is even more important
                that it doesn't use a path of WIDE1-1 for its own beacons. If there aren't
                a lot of fill-in digis in the area, it probably won't make much difference,
                but why trigger every fill-in digi out to the horizon with its own beacons
                when it isn't necessary? If yours really is a high digi, change the path for
                its own beacons to WIDE2-1 and change it so it responds to WIDEn-N
                and not just WIDE1-1... or if that it what it is already doing, remove the
                W1 from your beacon comment. Being high, you should probably also
                respond to SSn-N... with SS being the two letter designator for your state.
                Is it NH for New Hampshire? If you do this, the symbol should be a star
                with an S overlay.

                > Although another issue that is still present is that my digi is only reporting about
                > 1/3-1/2 of the traffic it digi's and gets sent to APRS-IS. Right now I have the digi
                > function set to WIDE1-1 with 1 hop, preempt and ID enabled.

                and you later added...

                > Correction, it's set to WIDE1 with 1 hop. "Digipeat on my call" is also enabled.

                See above re my thoughts on what the digi should respond to,

                Why would you have pre-empt turned on for WIDE1-1? That function should be
                reserved for non-generic digi aliases... such as TEMP or SAR... and usually not
                in a high permanently installed digi... e.g. a SAR team could use a path of
                WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,SAR and if they are digipeated by the conventional APRS
                network, that is great. If they are out of range of any conventional digis, and
                if they brought their own digi that responds to SAR, it could be set for pre-emptive
                digipeating and to respond to SAR even if the WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 hadn't
                already been used. To be useful their digi that responds to SAR would either
                have to be set up somewhere that they themselves could hear it on RF, or
                somewhere that could be heard by an IGate.

                Regarding "what it hears"... you need to be there and either connect a computer
                to see what it is hearing, or be listening on RF to see what it is digipeating.
                Looking on the APRS-IS, you see a filtered view of what is making it to the
                IGates. If a beacon is heard and digipeated (or not) by one or several digis,
                and is gated by one or several IGates, only the first beacon gated is kept. With
                30 second dupe checking, any other copies of the beacon that are gated later
                are discarded. With the simplest example, If two IGates gate a beacon, and
                one of them is a fraction of a second behind the other in gating that beacon,
                the second copy will be discarded. When digipeaters are involved, there is
                the possibility of a digi introducing delays. IGates can also introduce delays.
                Delays could be caused by a digi holding off digipeating a beacon because
                the frequency is busy, or the IGate computer could be "slow" or a KPC3+
                running in KISS mode (for more than a week or two) could be introducing
                delays. Tracking down the causes of delays and eliminating them when
                possible is very desirable. However, they will happen. Your digi could be
                working just fine... or not. Again, you can connect a terminal program to
                see what it is hearing, or you need to be watching on RF to see what it is
                digipeating.

                Also, how often is KB1POR-2 sending its own beacon out? Looking at
                aprs.fi, I see some beacons less than a minute apart, and others perhaps
                7 minutes apart, and sometimes gaps of a longer duration. I would hazard
                a guess that you are beaconing every few minutes (8?) but that one of the
                nearby IGates is introducing delays... i.e. you are gated right away by
                one IGate and a minute or so later by another. You could take a closer
                look at http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KB1POR-2&limit=1000&view=normal
                Search the page for K1KWP (control-F in most browsers) and see if you
                would agree. At least some of the time, you are being gated with no path
                needed at all, so a one hop path for your digis own beacons would probably
                be reasonable. More than enough to "put you on the map" for anyone looking
                on the APRS-IS, and being a fairly high digi, between your direct beacons
                and the ones with a one hop WIDE2-1, your presence should be pretty
                apparent for anyone looking on RF. Perhaps back the beacon rate off to
                every 10 minutes. If you can't be talked into a one hop path, then perhaps
                back it off to every 20 minutes.

                If you have a "problem" break it down into sections. Start by getting all of
                the proper settings into the T2-301. Then test it to make sure all is working
                OK. This will mean either connecting a terminal program to see what it is
                hearing... and possibly comparing it to what another TNC right beside it
                with a similar antenna is hearing, or going back and forth between the two
                TNCs with the radios alternatively connected to the same antenna, or by
                watching there or elsewhere on RF to see what it is digipeating. Basically,
                program it first and then see if it is performing up to snuff. That would be
                a combination of seeing what it is hearing, what it is digipeating, and
                what is hearing it. Some you can do on the APRS-IS. Some needs to be done
                on RF. Some can be done only at the site. Some could be done "down in
                the valley" at your home QTH or down on the highway below.

                73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                --
                "I may be lost, but I know exactly where I am!"
              • geoff5093
                Thanks for the information, I wasn t able to access my digi this past weekend to make the changes, but I m hoping to reconfigure it on Thursday using the
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 19, 2010
                  Thanks for the information, I wasn't able to access my digi this past weekend to make the changes, but I'm hoping to reconfigure it on Thursday using the points you suggested. The elevation is around 2100', so the HAAT is pretty close to the 1280' slot.

                  I want it to be a WIDE2 digi, but presently the power consumption is too great, I am looking at replacing the 15W solar panel with something much larger to support the battery drain of a W2 digi. It also does support the NH-n path, so I can change the icon to an S overlay instead of D.

                  I believe it was set to beacon every 8-9 minutes, I can change that to 10 or 15 minutes in addition to changing the path to WIDE2-1.

                  My understanding of Preempt was that the digi would look in the entire path for a given path, such as WIDE1, SAR, NH-1, etc. I enabled it on WIDE1 so if someone was running a path of NH-1,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1, it would still pick it up. Was I right in thinking that?

                  I had to replace the T2-301 with a TT4, since the T2-301 that I just bought is experiencing RX issues. I also can't seem to figure out how to display PHG and the voltage, I have the position set in the position parameters, and if I enter PHG in the comment field it does work, but if I enable voltage reporting it puts the voltage before PHG, so then stations no longer no what my PHG is.

                  --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Geoff KB1POR wrote... (back on Oct 8 2010)
                  >
                  > > I understand that wanting to see the traffic online isn't a reason to cause
                  > > excess RF traffic, but every other digi in the area has the ability to see
                  > > online what stations the digi has heard, and what stations heard it. So
                  > > either everyone is running wrong settings, or there is something specific
                  > > to my digi that is causing it not to show up. I tested changing the beacon
                  > > path from WIDE2-1 to WIDE2-2, and that did seem to solve the issue
                  > > where my digi wasn't reporting who heard me, although it's not ideal to
                  > > run WIDE2-2. My TT4 I had prior was set to run WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,
                  > > is that any better or worse then WIDE2-2?
                  >
                  > The KB1POR-2 digi is still using a path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1. It is a hard
                  > rule that no fixed station should be using a path of WIDE1-1. It should be
                  > even more so that a digi should NEVER use a path of WIDE1-1. Fill-in digis
                  > are meant to help mobile stations make it to a high WIDEn-N digi if necessary.
                  > Your digi indicates that it responds to WIDE1-1 but it also indicates that it is
                  > 390M HAAT... height above average terrain. Is that true? Keep in mind that
                  > HAAT is not the same as ASL... above sea level. Either way, looking at the
                  > map, your digi is fairly high up. It is possible that it should be a WIDEn-N
                  > digi and not just a fill-in digi only. Being high, it is even more important
                  > that it doesn't use a path of WIDE1-1 for its own beacons. If there aren't
                  > a lot of fill-in digis in the area, it probably won't make much difference,
                  > but why trigger every fill-in digi out to the horizon with its own beacons
                  > when it isn't necessary? If yours really is a high digi, change the path for
                  > its own beacons to WIDE2-1 and change it so it responds to WIDEn-N
                  > and not just WIDE1-1... or if that it what it is already doing, remove the
                  > W1 from your beacon comment. Being high, you should probably also
                  > respond to SSn-N... with SS being the two letter designator for your state.
                  > Is it NH for New Hampshire? If you do this, the symbol should be a star
                  > with an S overlay.
                  >
                  > > Although another issue that is still present is that my digi is only reporting about
                  > > 1/3-1/2 of the traffic it digi's and gets sent to APRS-IS. Right now I have the digi
                  > > function set to WIDE1-1 with 1 hop, preempt and ID enabled.
                  >
                  > and you later added...
                  >
                  > > Correction, it's set to WIDE1 with 1 hop. "Digipeat on my call" is also enabled.
                  >
                  > See above re my thoughts on what the digi should respond to,
                  >
                  > Why would you have pre-empt turned on for WIDE1-1? That function should be
                  > reserved for non-generic digi aliases... such as TEMP or SAR... and usually not
                  > in a high permanently installed digi... e.g. a SAR team could use a path of
                  > WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,SAR and if they are digipeated by the conventional APRS
                  > network, that is great. If they are out of range of any conventional digis, and
                  > if they brought their own digi that responds to SAR, it could be set for pre-emptive
                  > digipeating and to respond to SAR even if the WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 hadn't
                  > already been used. To be useful their digi that responds to SAR would either
                  > have to be set up somewhere that they themselves could hear it on RF, or
                  > somewhere that could be heard by an IGate.
                  >
                  > Regarding "what it hears"... you need to be there and either connect a computer
                  > to see what it is hearing, or be listening on RF to see what it is digipeating.
                  > Looking on the APRS-IS, you see a filtered view of what is making it to the
                  > IGates. If a beacon is heard and digipeated (or not) by one or several digis,
                  > and is gated by one or several IGates, only the first beacon gated is kept. With
                  > 30 second dupe checking, any other copies of the beacon that are gated later
                  > are discarded. With the simplest example, If two IGates gate a beacon, and
                  > one of them is a fraction of a second behind the other in gating that beacon,
                  > the second copy will be discarded. When digipeaters are involved, there is
                  > the possibility of a digi introducing delays. IGates can also introduce delays.
                  > Delays could be caused by a digi holding off digipeating a beacon because
                  > the frequency is busy, or the IGate computer could be "slow" or a KPC3+
                  > running in KISS mode (for more than a week or two) could be introducing
                  > delays. Tracking down the causes of delays and eliminating them when
                  > possible is very desirable. However, they will happen. Your digi could be
                  > working just fine... or not. Again, you can connect a terminal program to
                  > see what it is hearing, or you need to be watching on RF to see what it is
                  > digipeating.
                  >
                  > Also, how often is KB1POR-2 sending its own beacon out? Looking at
                  > aprs.fi, I see some beacons less than a minute apart, and others perhaps
                  > 7 minutes apart, and sometimes gaps of a longer duration. I would hazard
                  > a guess that you are beaconing every few minutes (8?) but that one of the
                  > nearby IGates is introducing delays... i.e. you are gated right away by
                  > one IGate and a minute or so later by another. You could take a closer
                  > look at http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KB1POR-2&limit=1000&view=normal
                  > Search the page for K1KWP (control-F in most browsers) and see if you
                  > would agree. At least some of the time, you are being gated with no path
                  > needed at all, so a one hop path for your digis own beacons would probably
                  > be reasonable. More than enough to "put you on the map" for anyone looking
                  > on the APRS-IS, and being a fairly high digi, between your direct beacons
                  > and the ones with a one hop WIDE2-1, your presence should be pretty
                  > apparent for anyone looking on RF. Perhaps back the beacon rate off to
                  > every 10 minutes. If you can't be talked into a one hop path, then perhaps
                  > back it off to every 20 minutes.
                  >
                  > If you have a "problem" break it down into sections. Start by getting all of
                  > the proper settings into the T2-301. Then test it to make sure all is working
                  > OK. This will mean either connecting a terminal program to see what it is
                  > hearing... and possibly comparing it to what another TNC right beside it
                  > with a similar antenna is hearing, or going back and forth between the two
                  > TNCs with the radios alternatively connected to the same antenna, or by
                  > watching there or elsewhere on RF to see what it is digipeating. Basically,
                  > program it first and then see if it is performing up to snuff. That would be
                  > a combination of seeing what it is hearing, what it is digipeating, and
                  > what is hearing it. Some you can do on the APRS-IS. Some needs to be done
                  > on RF. Some can be done only at the site. Some could be done "down in
                  > the valley" at your home QTH or down on the highway below.
                  >
                  > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                  > --
                  > "I may be lost, but I know exactly where I am!"
                  >
                • Keith VE7GDH
                  Geoff KB1POR wrote... ... If your callsign was in the AUTHLIST, you would be able to make the changes remotely by sending APRS messages to the T2-301. ...
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 19, 2010
                    Geoff KB1POR wrote...

                    > Thanks for the information, I wasn't able to access my digi this past
                    > weekend to make the changes, but I'm hoping to reconfigure it on Thursday...

                    If your callsign was in the AUTHLIST, you would be able to make the changes
                    remotely by sending APRS messages to the T2-301.

                    > ...using the points you suggested. The elevation is around 2100', so the
                    > HAAT is pretty close to the 1280' slot.

                    There are probably programs for coming up with HAAT, but it can be a bit
                    subjective coming up with it otherwise. I'm at about 550 feet ASL, but there
                    are mountains in the 2K range not too far away, and 5-6K a bit further away,
                    but then again, there's quite an expanse of water on the other side that's
                    zero (pick your own units) ASL, so do I divide my height above ASL by half
                    and use that, or take into account the higher terrain on the other side where
                    there aren't very many roads. Anyway, as long as you have thought it through
                    and come up with a fairly accurate figure, that's great.

                    > I want it to be a WIDE2 digi, but presently the power consumption is too
                    > great, I am looking at replacing the 15W solar panel with something much
                    > larger to support the battery drain of a W2 digi. It also does support the
                    > NH-n path, so I can change the icon to an S overlay instead of D.

                    That's a good point. Power consumption could probably be higher if you
                    were responding to beacons arriving via other digis as well as ones from
                    just mobile stations in the immediate vicinity.

                    > I believe it was set to beacon every 8-9 minutes, I can change that to 10
                    > or 15 minutes in addition to changing the path to WIDE2-1.

                    If the frequency isn't too busy, then every 8-9 minutes wouldn't be overkill,
                    but every 10 minutes with a short path would be pretty usual. One nice
                    thing about the KPC3+ is that it can send beacons with varying paths
                    out of the box... e.g. once an hour with a two hop path. another time once
                    an hour with a one hop path, and the rest of the hour every 10 minutes with
                    no path at all. Perhaps a future firmware upgrade will at least partially
                    support a feature like that... e.g. once an hour with a two hop and every 10
                    minutes with no path.

                    > My understanding of Preempt was that the digi would look in the entire path
                    > for a given path, such as WIDE1, SAR, NH-1, etc. I enabled it on WIDE1
                    > so if someone was running a path of NH-1,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1, it would still
                    > pick it up. Was I right in thinking that?

                    The preemptive setting should never be used for a generic path. Both paths mentioned
                    above are goofy. With your examples modified, a user should NEVER use a path of
                    NHn-N,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1. Only a mobile station should use WIDE1-1 and it should
                    ONLY be used at the beginning of the path. It would be proper for a mobile station to
                    use WIDE1-1,NH7-7 if they really wanted to flood a message or beacon to New
                    Hampshire. A normal way of using the pre-emptive setting would be for a SAR team to
                    use a path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,SAR. The normal APRS network can chew on the
                    WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1. If there was a digi within earshot responded to SAR, it would
                    normally not do so unless the WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 had already been used, OR unless
                    that digi was set up for pre-emptive digipeating... i.e. to respond to SAR even if the earlier
                    part of the path hadn't been used. Again, re-emptive digipeating should never be done
                    for generic paths like WIDEn-N or NHn-N, including WIDE1-1.

                    > I had to replace the T2-301 with a TT4, since the T2-301 that I just bought is
                    > experiencing RX issues. I also can't seem to figure out how to display PHG
                    > and the voltage, I have the position set in the position parameters, and if I enter
                    > PHG in the comment field it does work, but if I enable voltage reporting it puts
                    > the voltage before PHG, so then stations no longer no what my PHG is.

                    That's too bad about the T2-301. I hope there is a solution. It's a very nice package
                    with the T2 built right into the radio. I have a couple and I'm very happy with them.

                    Re voltage and PHG...I thought there was a mention of that a while back, but couldn't
                    find it. Scott or anyone else - any comment on voltage and PHG?

                    73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                    --
                    "I may be lost, but I know exactly where I am!"
                  • Tom
                    Do you guys know about the FCC on-line calculator for HAAT?   http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/haat_calculator.html   Enter your Lat/Lon and antenna height
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 19, 2010
                      Do you guys know about the FCC on-line calculator for HAAT?
                       
                       
                      Enter your Lat/Lon and antenna height above the ground.
                       
                      73,
                      Tom, W3TMC


                      --- On Tue, 10/19/10, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

                      From: Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...>
                      Subject: Re: [tracker2] Re: T2-301 not reporting packets sent/heard
                      To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
                      Date: Tuesday, October 19, 2010, 7:11 PM

                       
                      Geoff KB1POR wrote...

                      > Thanks for the information, I wasn't able to access my digi this past
                      > weekend to make the changes, but I'm hoping to reconfigure it on Thursday...

                      If your callsign was in the AUTHLIST, you would be able to make the changes
                      remotely by sending APRS messages to the T2-301.

                      > ...using the points you suggested. The elevation is around 2100', so the
                      > HAAT is pretty close to the 1280' slot.

                      There are probably programs for coming up with HAAT, but it can be a bit
                      subjective coming up with it otherwise. I'm at about 550 feet ASL, but there
                      are mountains in the 2K range not too far away, and 5-6K a bit further away,
                      but then again, there's quite an expanse of water on the other side that's
                      zero (pick your own units) ASL, so do I divide my height above ASL by half
                      and use that, or take into account the higher terrain on the other side where
                      there aren't very many roads. Anyway, as long as you have thought it through
                      and come up with a fairly accurate figure, that's great.

                      > I want it to be a WIDE2 digi, but presently the power consumption is too
                      > great, I am looking at replacing the 15W solar panel with something much
                      > larger to support the battery drain of a W2 digi. It also does support the
                      > NH-n path, so I can change the icon to an S overlay instead of D.

                      That's a good point. Power consumption could probably be higher if you
                      were responding to beacons arriving via other digis as well as ones from
                      just mobile stations in the immediate vicinity.

                      > I believe it was set to beacon every 8-9 minutes, I can change that to 10
                      > or 15 minutes in addition to changing the path to WIDE2-1.

                      If the frequency isn't too busy, then every 8-9 minutes wouldn't be overkill,
                      but every 10 minutes with a short path would be pretty usual. One nice
                      thing about the KPC3+ is that it can send beacons with varying paths
                      out of the box... e.g. once an hour with a two hop path. another time once
                      an hour with a one hop path, and the rest of the hour every 10 minutes with
                      no path at all. Perhaps a future firmware upgrade will at least partially
                      support a feature like that... e.g. once an hour with a two hop and every 10
                      minutes with no path.

                      > My understanding of Preempt was that the digi would look in the entire path
                      > for a given path, such as WIDE1, SAR, NH-1, etc. I enabled it on WIDE1
                      > so if someone was running a path of NH-1,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1, it would still
                      > pick it up. Was I right in thinking that?

                      The preemptive setting should never be used for a generic path. Both paths mentioned
                      above are goofy. With your examples modified, a user should NEVER use a path of
                      NHn-N,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1. Only a mobile station should use WIDE1-1 and it should
                      ONLY be used at the beginning of the path. It would be proper for a mobile station to
                      use WIDE1-1,NH7-7 if they really wanted to flood a message or beacon to New
                      Hampshire. A normal way of using the pre-emptive setting would be for a SAR team to
                      use a path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,SAR. The normal APRS network can chew on the
                      WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1. If there was a digi within earshot responded to SAR, it would
                      normally not do so unless the WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 had already been used, OR unless
                      that digi was set up for pre-emptive digipeating... i.e. to respond to SAR even if the earlier
                      part of the path hadn't been used. Again, re-emptive digipeating should never be done
                      for generic paths like WIDEn-N or NHn-N, including WIDE1-1.

                      > I had to replace the T2-301 with a TT4, since the T2-301 that I just bought is
                      > experiencing RX issues. I also can't seem to figure out how to display PHG
                      > and the voltage, I have the position set in the position parameters, and if I enter
                      > PHG in the comment field it does work, but if I enable voltage reporting it puts
                      > the voltage before PHG, so then stations no longer no what my PHG is.

                      That's too bad about the T2-301. I hope there is a solution. It's a very nice package
                      with the T2 built right into the radio. I have a couple and I'm very happy with them.

                      Re voltage and PHG...I thought there was a mention of that a while back, but couldn't
                      find it. Scott or anyone else - any comment on voltage and PHG?

                      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                      --
                      "I may be lost, but I know exactly where I am!"
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.