Re: [tracker2] OT2 Solid State Relay and Inaccurate Voltage Report

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2010
      D11, the reverse bias protection diode on the v2.0 board, can't handle
      the current you might try to pull through the solid state relay, so the
      big input pad bypasses it. The voltage sense line comes off before that
      so it can get an accurate reading without the diode drop. This means
      that when you're powering it from the big pad, nothing goes to the
      voltage sense line.

      The fix for this is to put a blob of solder on solder jumper SJ1 to
      bypass D11. That will get you the voltage reading, but it'll disable
      the reverse bias protection, so be careful when you're powering it
      through some other input.

      Scott

      On 10/3/2010 10:54 AM, Edward wrote:

      > My open tracker is being powered by a 12V battery connected to the solid
      > state relay input.
      >
      > I was surprised that the battery connected to the solid state relay
      > input powers the OT2, but it does.
      >
      > There is no power to the OT2 through the coaxial power connector or
      > through the DB9 connector.
      >
      > Below is a packet from the OT2:
      > 2010-10-03 10:07:37 PDT:
      > KE7MWY-1>APOT21,N7ZEV-2,WIDE1*,qAR,W7RBV-5:!3600.75N/11505.09W> 00.3V 86F
      >
      > As you can see the voltage is being reported as 0.3V. The battery
      > voltage is actually about 12.52V
      >
      > Why is the voltage being reported 0.3V?

    • Edward
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2010
        Got it

        Would it be a mistake to run a parallel power input from the battery to both the solid state relay and the coaxial power connector? I was reluctant to do that in fear of introducing a circuitous path to ground or some other path that I may not be aware of.

        Just wanted to ask if that would be an alternative to jumping SJ1.

        Edward