T2-301, 1-wire activation and max voltage

  • Bruce W. Martin
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 27, 2010
      I recently purchased a T2-301. After finding out there is no internal temperature sensor I purchased the DS18S20 Temperature Sensor. I have wired it to the T2-301 , DS pin 1 to ground, DS pin2 to 1-wire, and DS pin 3 to 5V. Is there something else that needs to be done to get the temp to start reporting in the beacon packets. So far it is still reporting extreme cold (-100C).

      Also I have some Lithium Ion battery packs I would like to use to power this in our next balloon launch. The unloaded terminal voltage on these packs when fully charged is about 17.5 volts Is it safe to connect these to the T2-301? The specification is for a supply voltage of 9-15v. I was wondering how strict this specification is.

      Bruce

      --
      Bruce W. Martin, KQ4TV
      Tennessee Balloon Group, NT4BG

    • Fred Hillhouse
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 27, 2010
        I think there is a command you need to set to get data.

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 27, 2010
          > and DS pin 3 to 5V. Is there something else that needs to be done to get
          > the temp to start reporting in the beacon packets. So far it is still
          > reporting extreme cold (-100C).

          You need to set EXTTEMP ON.

          > Also I have some Lithium Ion battery packs I would like to use to power
          > this in our next balloon launch. The unloaded terminal voltage on these
          > packs when fully charged is about 17.5 volts Is it safe to connect these
          > to the T2-301? The specification is for a supply voltage of 9-15v. I was
          > wondering how strict this specification is.

          17.5 would be really pushing it. I've got a 14.8v pack that works great.

          A diode or two (depending on Vf) would probably drop the voltage to a
          safe level, though you'd just be wasting some power.