alinco 135t nuvi350 cable

  • KD4NFS
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 7, 2010
      does anyone know where i can find a data cable that is plug n play?
      i have a alinco 135t, a argent t2-135t installed in the 135t, and i have a nuvi350 with the fmi cable.
      im not much at home brew any more. i can't see that well anymore.
      thx, and 73's
    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 7, 2010
        KD4NFS wrote...

        > does anyone know where I can find a data cable that is plug n play?
        > I have an Alinco 135t, a argent t2-135t installed in the 135t, and I have
        > a nuvi350 with the fmi cable. I'm not much at home brew any more.
        > I can't see that well anymore.

        They are making those pins smaller all of the time! You're in luck though.
        The data cable is just a straight serial cable... DE-9 male on the radio
        end and DE-9 female on the computer end. Of course, if you only have
        USB ports on the computer, you will need a USB to serial adapter as well.

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
      • kd4nfs2@aim.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 7, 2010
          the fmi cable that i have has bare leads on one end and a mini usb on the other end. i assume that ill have to solder the db-9 connector on the cable. i was wondering if there was a cable that i didnt have to go throught all that. i ordered the cable stright from garmin. i googled but didnt find any. there is a video on youtube, but doesnt give much info.

          and yes those pins are getting small, and fingers always seem to be in the way...

          thanks for getting back to me.
          73's

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 7, 2010
            i was under the impression that there was no computer in the system. the gps has fleet management software that gets data from the alinco and displays the positions in the gps unit. theres no computer in this system.

            heres a link to the youtube vid...

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXyMw_9ClQ4

            > does anyone know where I can find a data cable that is plug n play?
            > I have an Alinco 135t, a argent t2-135t installed in the 135t, and I have
            > a nuvi350 with the fmi cable. I'm not much at home brew any more.
            > I can't see that well anymore.

            They are making those pins smaller all of the time! You're in luck though.
            The data cable is just a straight serial cable... DE-9 male on the radio
            end and DE-9 female on the computer end. Of course, if you only have
            USB ports on the computer, you will need a USB to serial adapter as well.

            73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
          • k7ybz
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 7, 2010
              If you had ordered the cable through Scott at Argent Data, you could have selected which connecter to have added:

              https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=90&osCsid=d95a98619098e5082e5e569ee64ac110

              Larry
              K7YBZ

            • kd4nfs2@aim.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 8, 2010
                if u look closely at the cable in the link u sent me, it also terminates in are leads at one end. theres a mini usb on one end and bare leads at the other.

                but it does give me which wire to which pin. thanks for the info. i have been looking for the color pin out!

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 8, 2010
                  KD4NFS wrote...

                  > I was under the impression that there was no computer in the system.
                  > the gps has fleet management software that gets data from the alinco
                  > and displays the positions in the gps unit. theres no computer in this
                  > system.

                  Sorry about that. You said you already had the FMI cable. When you
                  asked about a data cable, I just assumed that you meant for between
                  the radio (T2-135) and a computer. As Larry mentioned, you could
                  have ordered the cable from Scott with a DE-9 connector already
                  installed. Perhaps you can get someone to do it for you. There are only
                  three wires involved - ground, transmit data and receive data - and to
                  make sure there is some strain relief.

                  > heres a link to the youtube vid... www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXyMw_9ClQ4

                  It looked like a nice demo of the Nuvi in FMI mode. I didn't have time
                  to watch it all, but I "fast forwarded" through it and saw the highlights.
                  Just follow the link that Larry provided and the text description will indicate
                  which colours go on which pin... "For the T2-135... use white - pin 2,
                  yellow - pin 3, black - pin 5 on a male DB9." Are there any other hams
                  with a steady hand in the area that could help you out with the connector?

                  73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                • Keith VE7GDH
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 8, 2010
                    KD4NFS wrote...

                    > the fmi cable that I have has bare leads on one end and a mini usb
                    > on the other end. I assume that I'll have to solder the db-9 connector
                    > on the cable. I was wondering if there was a cable that I didn't have
                    > to go through all that. I ordered the cable straight from Garmin...

                    Of course, you could just purchase another cable from Scott with the
                    connector already on it. It's an extra $5 but it would give you a "plug
                    and play" cable. You could always sell the other one or hang onto it
                    until someone could give you a hand with adding a DE-9 connector.

                    73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH