Re: OT2m and Nuvi combo tries forever

  • Alan
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4, 2010
      Can you hear any digis responding to your packets? Do your packets cause your fillings to fall out?

      The most ignored and most important part of APRS is TX/RX levels. If it's not an off the shelf APRS radio, Some assembly (setup) is required.

      The OT2 is happy with .5vRMS to about 1volt RMS max. Most radios will provide a ballpark level at 1/4 to about 1/3 volume. Speaker audio is better than Discriminator audio.

      The best straight forward discussion of layer 1, that won't cause your eyes to glaze over, click below.

      http://www.febo.com/packet/layer-one/receive.html
      http://www.febo.com/packet/layer-one/transmit.html

      Alan:-)
    • Tom
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4, 2010
        Oh yes. The rf is perfect. I can carry on a dialog with a station with both of us getting acks of each message instantly. This can be seen in today's messages using my call. But if I send a message to a station that for any reason does NOT respond - ever. The system will resend that message every few seconds - forever. It should time out and stop after n number of tries.
        Thanks for your reply,
        Tom

        Sent from the iTouch.

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 4, 2010
          OK good,
          That's a feature. It's the never stop trying feature;-) The Nuvi-350 is a cool tool, but I always delete incoming and out going messages with in a few minutes, even Wifey is trained to delete. Just get into the habit of letting it try sending like 3 to 5 times. Then delete it. There are a few other undocumented features that will arise if messages aren't flushed out regularly.
          73's,
          Alan