Re: [tracker2] OT2m and Nuvi combo tries forever

  • Phil Williams
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4, 2010

      Hey tom,
      Just set up the same thing with the nuvi and the ot2m. I am able to send messages ok and I do get acks. Firmware is out of the box.

      Philw de KA1GMN

      On Sep 4, 2010 10:08 AM, "radiotom2020" <tmcsail@...> wrote:

      Hello to the Group.

      I just set up my OT2m with the Nuvi 350.
      Thank you Paul EI5GTB for the quick start guide.

      Works great except that if the receiving station never sends back an ACK, my system never stops sending.

      You can see my experiments under my call: W3TMC-1

      I have retry set to 3.

      I have updated the OT2M firmware and the Nuvi firmware (both yesterday).

      It keeps sending until I delete the message in the Nuvi Out box.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks,
      Tom, W3TMC

    • Tom
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4, 2010
        Thanks fir the reply Phil.
        Yes, me too. When I send to a station that does receive my message, I get the ack and all is well. But if you send to a station that does not get your message (off line), the nuvi based system never stops sending retries.
        Thanks, t

        Sent from the iTouch.

        On Sep 4, 2010, at 11:12 AM, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

        Hey tom,
        Just set up the same thing with the nuvi and the ot2m. I am able to send messages ok and I do get acks. Firmware is out of the box.

        Philw de KA1GMN

        On Sep 4, 2010 10:08 AM, "radiotom2020" <tmcsail@...> wrote:

        Hello to the Group.

        I just set up my OT2m with the Nuvi 350.
        Thank you Paul EI5GTB for the quick start guide.

        Works great except that if the receiving station never sends back an ACK, my system never stops sending.

        You can see my experiments under my call: W3TMC-1

        I have retry set to 3.

        I have updated the OT2M firmware and the Nuvi firmware (both yesterday).

        It keeps sending until I delete the message in the Nuvi Out box.

        Any ideas?

        Thanks,
        Tom, W3TMC

      • Alan
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 4, 2010
          Can you hear any digis responding to your packets? Do your packets cause your fillings to fall out?

          The most ignored and most important part of APRS is TX/RX levels. If it's not an off the shelf APRS radio, Some assembly (setup) is required.

          The OT2 is happy with .5vRMS to about 1volt RMS max. Most radios will provide a ballpark level at 1/4 to about 1/3 volume. Speaker audio is better than Discriminator audio.

          The best straight forward discussion of layer 1, that won't cause your eyes to glaze over, click below.

          http://www.febo.com/packet/layer-one/receive.html
          http://www.febo.com/packet/layer-one/transmit.html

          Alan:-)
        • Tom
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 4, 2010
            Oh yes. The rf is perfect. I can carry on a dialog with a station with both of us getting acks of each message instantly. This can be seen in today's messages using my call. But if I send a message to a station that for any reason does NOT respond - ever. The system will resend that message every few seconds - forever. It should time out and stop after n number of tries.
            Thanks for your reply,
            Tom

            Sent from the iTouch.

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 4, 2010
              OK good,
              That's a feature. It's the never stop trying feature;-) The Nuvi-350 is a cool tool, but I always delete incoming and out going messages with in a few minutes, even Wifey is trained to delete. Just get into the habit of letting it try sending like 3 to 5 times. Then delete it. There are a few other undocumented features that will arise if messages aren't flushed out regularly.
              73's,
              Alan