Re: [tracker2] Balloon Launch

  • Tanner Lovelace
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 23, 2010
      That's too bad. Sadly, we only ended up receiving 3 packets from
      our balloon (1300 ft, 11k feet and 23k feet) and then it disappeared
      completely. :-( We didn't like that outcome, though so we quickly
      put together another balloon and launched it, this time with a spot
      satellite gps tracker. It worked pretty well, but it doesn't report
      altitude and doesn't report at all above about 60k feet. But, we
      managed to get it back and get some good pictures:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/clubjuggler/sets/72157624786512244/

      Cheers,
      Tanner

      On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 10:19 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
      > Sorry, no news on the MX146.  I wish there was... we've got a big stack
      > of back orders for them.
      >
      > Scott
      >
      > Tanner Lovelace wrote:
      >>

      >> In case anyone is interested, tomorrow morning at 8am EDT, as part of
      >> a group for the "Hackerspaces in Space" contest (
      >> http://www.workshop88.com/space/ )
      >> I'll be flying a fairly old OpenTracker 1x under the callsign KB4TYE-11.
      >> It's
      >> hooked to an even more ancient Icom 2AT with a ladder line J-pole
      >> hanging down.
      >>
      >> We're using the older tracker and radio is because for the contest there's
      >> a cost limit of $250. However, our group is very interested in flying
      >> more missions in the future and we definitely want to get something
      >> more modern. I'd love to fly the same setup Scott has flown on his
      >> balloons (especially since we're already also flying GT-320FW High-Altitude
      >> GPS Receiver along with this setup), but I guess there's no chance
      >> of that unless the SRB MX146LV radio comes out again. (Scott, any
      >> more news on that? I'd much rather buy from you than going with
      >> one of the Byonics AIO trackers.)
      >>
      >> Cheers,
      >> Tanner Lovelace
      >> KB4TYE
      >>
      >> --
      >> Tanner Lovelace
      >> http://wtl.wayfarer.org/
      >> (fieldless) In fess two roundels in pale, a billet fesswise and an
      >> increscent, all sable.

      Tanner Lovelace
      http://wtl.wayfarer.org/
      increscent, all sable.