Re: [tracker2] Questions on Alinco DR135 & T2-135

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 19, 2010
      Ned (callsign?) wrote...

      > I have a few questions on the T2-135 and DR-135 radio... Does the
      > T2 still receive audio if the volume knob is turned down. ?

      Yes. You will probably want it down to prevent a few pops and clicks
      on the speaker when it receives.

      > Is the compressed message format the same as (or similar) to MIC-E. ?

      No. They are different formats. Both are a lot shorter than regular beacons.
      With MIC-E the destination is part of the payload. With Base-91 the destination
      (as I should have nown but was recently pointed out to me!) is human readble.

      e.g.

      Mic-E
      VE7ILI-8>T9QPSP,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 <UI Len=9>:`23l!`>/

      Base-91
      VE7KWK-9>APOTC1,VE7SFU-10*,WIDE2*,WIDE2-2 <UI Len=40>:
      /191556z/5Zg2/Ik$v,!G/A=000283 14.8V 19C

      > If there are any future upgrades to the software, can they be loaded or am
      > I stuck with the version the board came with. ?

      Firmware upgrades are easy and just a click away in the configuration program.

      > Is there a way to use a simple serial LCD display for displaying on-air packets. ?

      I believe that people have added LCD displays to the OT2m, but I haven't heard
      of it on the T2-135 unless you count the HamHUD. A Nuvi 350 works well with it.

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
    • qqeo640
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 19, 2010
        Thanks for the info Keith.. I'm still is the research stage at present
        but the Tracker is looking like the preferred option compared with the original Alinco TNC. I guess I could go with the external Tracker/tnc, but the option of all in one box, with just the power/antenna/GPS cables makes a tidy install.

        Ned.