RE: [tracker2] Ok Now What?

  • scott@opentrac.org
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 31, 2006
      Before the MAX232, actually.. it'll most likely be a 2N3904 with a pull up
      to 5 volts, so that an input on the base pulls it low - same as the RX side
      of the tracker itself. I'll come up with a schematic after I get the shells
      and see what will fit.

      Scott

    • Ian ZL1VFO
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 1, 2006
        > Message: 15
        > Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 20:49:50 -0800
        > From: <scott@...>
        > Subject: RE: Ok Now What?
        >
        > Before the MAX232, actually.. it'll most likely be a 2N3904 with a pull up
        > to 5 volts, so that an input on the base pulls it low - same as the RX side
        > of the tracker itself. I'll come up with a schematic after I get the shells
        > and see what will fit.

        > Scott

        Well, since the MAX232 has 2 line drivers and 2 line receivers, all 4
        of which are inverters, couldn't you just use the 'spare' inverters
        to re-invert back to normal? I've done just that on my home made
        TinyTrak board - it's been working reliably for several years now.

        Let's see, looking at my notes for what I did, <rummage, rummage> the
        uController TxD line joined to the MAX232's pin11 (T1in),
        pin14 (T1out) to pin10 (T2in), pin7 (T2out) to the DB9 TxD.

        Going back the other way, DB9 RxD to pin8 (R2in),
        pin9 (R2out) to pin13 (R1in), Pin12 (R1out) back to RxD on the
        uController.

        I also have 2 rows of 4 jumper pins connected to this circuit, so I
        could jumper them either as 2 inverters in series (no inversion), or 2
        inverters in parallel (inversion) for each direction, depending on
        what was required at the time.

        I may be able to draw it out & post it in the files section, if
        anyone's interested.

        73,
        Ian ZL1VFO

      • scott@opentrac.org
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 1, 2006
          Wouldn't that mean putting +/- 9 volts on TTL inputs? Will the MAX232
          tolerate that?

          Scott

        • Ian ZL1VFO
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
            > Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 18:32:05 -0800
            > From: <scott@...>
            > Subject: RE: Ok Now What?

            > Wouldn't that mean putting +/- 9 volts on TTL inputs? Will the MAX232
            > tolerate that?

            > Scott

            Well, mine and a few other Hams I've done boards for have been running
            like that for a several years now, with no ill effects.

            I suppose adding (say) a 10k resistor between pin14 (T1out) & pin10
            (T2in) would reduce the amount of current flowing into pin 10 and
            onwards through whatever input protection diodes there are inside the
            MAX232. If I get a bit of time tommorow I might try various
            resistances and see what effect it has on the voltages applied to
            pin10 (T2in) while watching it with a 'scope.

            Ian ZL1VFO