Re: OT2m in permanent digipeater

  • Alan
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 9, 2010
      The Voltage and Temp telemetry is a big plus at Solar sites.
      The latest OT2 boards decode very well. They might even decode misaligned audio better than Kantronics. (Why do so many users TX audio sound like crap?!)

      Remote control, and scripts are good.

      The only problem I have had with an OT2 Digi is two different OT2's locked up in about two years of 24/7 operation. I have friends that have never had one lockup. Also had two TT4's lockup, and a KPC-3 fail too.

      At a Solar Site the voltage readout, and low current draw would be the biggest selling point.

      Alan

      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "w4vab" <w4vab@...> wrote:

      > I have suggested that our local digipeater group replace a lightning damaged TNC with an OT2m. A couple of the other members question the suitability of the OT2m for use at remote mountain location under solar power.
      >
      > Please give me some comments on the suitability of the OT2m for use in permanent digipeater installations at solar powered remote locations.
      >
      > It would also be helpful to have the callsigns or locations of some of the installations.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Hugh, W4VAB

    • Jon
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 10, 2010
        I have suggested that our local digipeater group replace a lightning damaged TNC
        with an OT2m. A couple of the other members question the suitability of the
        OT2m for use at remote mountain location under solar power.

        Please give me some comments on the suitability of the OT2m for use in permanent
        digipeater installations at solar powered remote locations.

        It would also be helpful to have the callsigns or locations of some of the
        installations.

        Thanks,

        Hugh, W4VAB

        ---
        Hi Hugh,

        Personally I couldn't think of anything better. Here in the South East of
        Ireland we have a mixture of OT2's and TNC2 (UI-Digi) nodes. As the UI-Digi
        nodes fail, we are replacing them with OT2's.

        Regards
        de John
        EI7IG
      • ve3id
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 10, 2010
          In the limited time I operated a tracker 2 before it failed, I was quite impressed with it.  Scott has repaired it with great efficiency and it is on its way back to me, suspecting that I have put an overvoiltage on one of the pins, so that does not reflect badly on the module.

          My observations were that it seems to demodulate correctly more stations than other stations in my area.  Specifically my own mobile, which only runs 1 watt, was picked up where others had not been able to decode it.  My location is on a rooftop where I can hear most of S. Ontario South of the Aurora ridge and western NY State, the channel is continually busy and I seem to be getting packets decoded for everything, as fast as my eyes can read!

          I think it is a very good design and should do well in any unattended location, as mine is.  I am in a mechanical room on top of the building with an S9 noise level on HF!

          73
          Nigel
          VE3ID es G4AJQ

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 10, 2010
            Hello Hugh !

            OT2M has nice functions that made a Digi operation easy when you switch from UIDIGI but if You have a lot of traffic like me up on over 5900 Feet an listen and transmit arround ~ 250 miles (400km) away it stop working when RX Buffer overrun - i set beacon to all 30mins and it comes all 3-4 mins (restart) when traffic is heavy ... Some people try to use older firmware now that "should" help the problem but i cant live with this because i have to drive 75mi to digi and back when i have to flash it new or have to switch it off permanent - i have remote controll over my 70cm Repater on location but i had also a happening where this also not help so i have to call energy company to switch off power line for 5mins - but this is not a good way ;-)

            again - if you have less traffic and a good working OT2M You will be happy but if i found no solution for me i have to switch back to KPC3
            not happy about that because i like the OT2M when it work 100% ...

            73! Charly OE3KLU

            www.digisysop.at
          • Keith VE7GDH
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 10, 2010
              Charly OE3KLU wrote...

              > OT2M has nice functions that made a Digi operation easy... but if
              > you have a lot of traffic like me up on over 5900 Feet an listen and
              > transmit around ~ 250 miles (400 km) away it stop working when
              > RX Buffer overrun...

              If the RX buffer overruns, perhaps that is something Scott could fix...
              e.g. every 30 seconds delete oldest packet that it is holding onto, or
              it could have a "high digi" mode where it will temporarily turn off
              carrier detect if it detects the buffer is full so it could go ahead and
              transmit, but you wouldn't want the buffer to be so large that it stored
              packets older than 30 seconds or so.

              If the frequency is busy enough at your 5900 foot site, perhaps the
              real solution is to move the digi to a lower elevation. As the APRS
              frequency gets busier in some locations, we may have to move the
              high digis down to lower locations like cell sites and just have a
              few more of them. Alternatively, you could leave your high digi
              at 5900 feet, but use a non-standard alias so that it would be available
              to people that had a reason to try and send a packet 800 km... e.g.from
              up to 400 km on one side of the digi to 400 km on the other side of it).
              Of course, with it that high, if the frequency was busy, the chances of
              it successfully hearing that particular beacon would be low. High
              voice repeaters are great. Only one person talks at a time, but high
              digis (at least using generic aliases) really only work where the
              frequency is relatively quiet.

              With it being an OT2m, you could remotely enable the standard
              locally used alias if it was ever needed.

              73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 10, 2010
                I haven't had a chance to go back and check this again with the most
                recent firmware, but previously my buffer testing method involved
                playing a bunch of non-stop traffic with the quiet time set high enough
                that it never got a chance to digi anything. Last time I checked this
                it behaved as expected, dropping packets it couldn't fit in the buffer
                and not causing any other disruption.

                Right now the T2 code base is in major flux as I get it set up to run on
                the MC9SAW60 chip. This is mostly to deal with component availability
                issues and shouldn't make any difference from the user's perspective,
                but for now it needs more testing as things get juggled around in the
                memory map so that both targets compile and run properly. Once this is
                done I'll be hitting the bug list and trouble reports again, but for now
                it's hard to get to some of that stuff.

                Scott

                Keith VE7GDH wrote:

                > Charly OE3KLU wrote...
                >
                > > OT2M has nice functions that made a Digi operation easy... but if
                > > you have a lot of traffic like me up on over 5900 Feet an listen and
                > > transmit around ~ 250 miles (400 km) away it stop working when
                > > RX Buffer overrun...
                >
                > If the RX buffer overruns, perhaps that is something Scott could fix...
                > e.g. every 30 seconds delete oldest packet that it is holding onto, or
                > it could have a "high digi" mode where it will temporarily turn off
                > carrier detect if it detects the buffer is full so it could go ahead and
                > transmit, but you wouldn't want the buffer to be so large that it stored
                > packets older than 30 seconds or so.
                >
                > If the frequency is busy enough at your 5900 foot site, perhaps the
                > real solution is to move the digi to a lower elevation. As the APRS
                > frequency gets busier in some locations, we may have to move the
                > high digis down to lower locations like cell sites and just have a
                > few more of them. Alternatively, you could leave your high digi
                > at 5900 feet, but use a non-standard alias so that it would be available
                > to people that had a reason to try and send a packet 800 km... e.g.from
                > up to 400 km on one side of the digi to 400 km on the other side of it).
                > Of course, with it that high, if the frequency was busy, the chances of
                > it successfully hearing that particular beacon would be low. High
                > voice repeaters are great. Only one person talks at a time, but high
                > digis (at least using generic aliases) really only work where the
                > frequency is relatively quiet.
                >
                > With it being an OT2m, you could remotely enable the standard
                > locally used alias if it was ever needed.
                >
                > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

              • Malcolm
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 15, 2010
                  We are using OTR2s along with KPC3's here in the Yukon on Mountain top solar sites. with no issues.

                  One nice thing with them is the ability to have them beacon the voltages from the batteries.

                  The VY1RHP-1 digi at Hayes Peak out side of Johnsons Crossing YT. I have the OTR2 directly connected to the Batteries and the Radio on a 9.5 volt buss on the back of the Daniels repeater racks. The Daniels repeater go into a sleep mode at 10.2 volts so this in turn shuts of the APRS radio.

                  VY1RHP-1 is OTR2
                  VY1HCH-1 is OTR2

                  Also with the Authorized List you can remote access them and save a expensive Heli trip to change programing.

                  and will soon be adding another to a future site this month.

                  Malcolm VY1FC

                  --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "w4vab" <w4vab@...> wrote:

                  > I have suggested that our local digipeater group replace a lightning damaged TNC with an OT2m. A couple of the other members question the suitability of the OT2m for use at remote mountain location under solar power.
                  >
                  > Please give me some comments on the suitability of the OT2m for use in permanent digipeater installations at solar powered remote locations.
                  >
                  > It would also be helpful to have the callsigns or locations of some of the installations.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Hugh, W4VAB

                • oe3mzc
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 17, 2010
                    yes the OT2m would be a nice stand alone solution for mountain top digi,
                    but unfortunately we observe buffer overrun with current version of firmware and v2 hardware, if operated on a very busy QRG (near city.

                    OT2m does seem to RESET all 1-5 minutes and transmit useless frames and its startup message.
                    No solution yet, sri

                    vy 73 de Mike
                    OE3MZC

                    --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm" <ve9fc@...> wrote:

                    > We are using OTR2s along with KPC3's here in the Yukon on Mountain top solar sites. with no issues.
                    >
                    > One nice thing with them is the ability to have them beacon the voltages from the batteries.
                    >
                    > The VY1RHP-1 digi at Hayes Peak out side of Johnsons Crossing YT. I have the OTR2 directly connected to the Batteries and the Radio on a 9.5 volt buss on the back of the Daniels repeater racks. The Daniels repeater go into a sleep mode at 10.2 volts so this in turn shuts of the APRS radio.
                    >
                    > VY1RHP-1 is OTR2
                    > VY1HCH-1 is OTR2
                    >
                    > Also with the Authorized List you can remote access them and save a expensive Heli trip to change programing.
                    >
                    > and will soon be adding another to a future site this month.
                    >
                    > Malcolm VY1FC
                    >
                    > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "w4vab" <w4vab@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I have suggested that our local digipeater group replace a lightning damaged TNC with an OT2m. A couple of the other members question the suitability of the OT2m for use at remote mountain location under solar power.
                    > >
                    > > Please give me some comments on the suitability of the OT2m for use in permanent digipeater installations at solar powered remote locations.
                    > >
                    > > It would also be helpful to have the callsigns or locations of some of the installations.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,
                    > >
                    > > Hugh, W4VAB

                  • oe3mzc
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 20, 2010
                      Hello Hugh,
                      you might have the "older" version of OT2m, which used to have an 2211 demodulator chip. We found out that these demodulators will not decode same number of packet as some other tncs. Reason seems to be some tolerance in capacitors used around the 2211.
                      However with the new v2 using MX614 demodulator chip reception is much better,
                      but if used in an overcrowed area the lack of buffer memory seems to let the OT2m not just drop packets, but also go to reset.
                      So we have backed off from unaccessible hilltop digi operation so far...allthough we also liked the telemetry function very much!
                      just for your info.