Re: [tracker2] OT2m / T2-135 / T2-301 / ADS-WS1 - Time & Scripting etc.

  • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
      Keith VE7GDH wrote:
      > Variability might be an issue. If the time could be set remotely with a
      > SETTIME message, accepting it only from those on the AUTHLIST
      > would be good enough for me.

      Variability would also be an issue with an APRS-messaged "cmd SETTIME",
      but I don't think we're really worried about down-to-the-second accuracy
      here. With the examples I've seen of time-based scripts, accurate to a
      minute or two is probably sufficient.

      I'll throw my hat in the remote SETTIME message restricted to those
      sources on AUTHLIST and the other security around remote command
      execution via APRS messages.

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Adding my $0.02 for whatever it's worth in today's
      economy
    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
        Lynn KJ4ERJ wrote...

        > Variability would also be an issue with an APRS-messaged
        > "cmd SETTIME", but I don't think we're really worried about
        > down-to-the-second accuracy here. With the examples I've seen
        > of time-based scripts, accurate to a minute or two is probably sufficient.

        You're right. Down the second probably isn't needed. To me, it would
        just be a matter of knowing the day of the week and the time (within a few
        minutes, but there's nothing wrong with down to the second if it's do-able)
        so that scripts could be run weekly, or so that the weather station could
        reset the rain gauge somewhere around midnight with some consistency.

        > I'll throw my hat in the remote SETTIME message restricted to those
        > sources on AUTHLIST and the other security around remote command
        > execution via APRS messages.

        I think that it would be a reasonable solution. The T2 series can already
        accept remote commands. It would just be a matter of adding a variable
        to store the time and then counting ticks until the next time that the time
        was set again.

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 10, 2010
          Forgive my out-of-sequence replies, I've fallen way behind on email
          again. See my post about the T2 code development... I'll see what
          there's space for when the HCS08 port and testing is done.

          Scott