Re: [tracker2] Re: Davis Vantage Pro vs. Vantage Pro 2

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2010
      I'm mostly concerned with figuring out whether or not I can detect the
      version automatically. Making it a configuration option will make it
      more confusing and require more code space.

      Scott

      Paul Meyer wrote:

      > Thanks Scott. It doesn't appear that it is something "difficult" to
      > implement. Note the double quotes. Note that I did get the rare
      > occasional weather packet reporting -- As the Davis documentation
      > states, it may work intermittently.
      >
      > I'm more than willing to test as needed on the cabled Vantage Pro 2
      > standard weatherlink serial module. I also have the wireless Davis VP2
      > with the APRS Streaming module. Perhaps I could not get it to work
      > before due to this serial modification and it had nothing to do with it
      > being an APRS version of the weatherlink.

      > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Good to know! I've got it on my to-do list now and I'll get back to you
      > > with updated firmware when I've got something ready to test.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Scott
      > >
      > > Paul Meyer wrote:
      > > >

      > > > I recently tested an Argent T2-301 radio with integrated TNC with a
      > > > Davis Vantage Pro with the serial weatherlink module on my home
      > weather
      > > > station and got it to work with Scott's help.
      > > >
      > > > I have been testing the same at work now with a brand new cabled Davis
      > > > Vantage Pro 2 unit and the serial weatherlink module (not the APRS
      > > > streaming module). It has mainly been transmitting status packets and
      > > > only three weather packets, only one of which was correct. After
      > > > scratching head many times today, I finally consulted the Davis
      > website
      > > > to discover that the Vantage Pro and the Vantage Pro2 units utilize
      > > > slightly different serial protocols. The Pro2 expects only one line
      > feed
      > > > / carriage return not both according to Davis and timing changes on
      > the
      > > > Vantage Pro2.
      > > >
      > > > I'm including the link to Davis' comm manual that describes these
      > > > differences. Perhaps there needs to be two Davis modes in the
      > Argent code.
      > > >
      > > > http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather/software_dllsdk.asp
      > > >
      > > > Choose the Vantage Pro and Pro2 Serial Communications Reference, 2.3.0
      > > > to see the differences.

    • Paul Meyer
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2010
        I will see if I can send some commands to the units with Hyperterm to see if I can reveal the version type and let you know.

        > I'm mostly concerned with figuring out whether or not I can detect the
        > version automatically. Making it a configuration option will make it
        > more confusing and require more code space.
        >
        > Scott
        >
        > Paul Meyer wrote:
        > >

        > > Thanks Scott. It doesn't appear that it is something "difficult" to
        > > implement. Note the double quotes. Note that I did get the rare
        > > occasional weather packet reporting -- As the Davis documentation
        > > states, it may work intermittently.
        > >
        > > I'm more than willing to test as needed on the cabled Vantage Pro 2
        > > standard weatherlink serial module. I also have the wireless Davis VP2
        > > with the APRS Streaming module. Perhaps I could not get it to work
        > > before due to this serial modification and it had nothing to do with it
        > > being an APRS version of the weatherlink.

        > > Scott Miller <scott@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Good to know! I've got it on my to-do list now and I'll get back to you
        > > > with updated firmware when I've got something ready to test.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks,
        > > >
        > > > Scott

        > > weather

        > > website
        > > feed
        > > the

        > > Argent code.

      • Paul Meyer
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2010
          See page 6-7 (Section VII.1 -- Command Summary - Testing commands) of the serial communications manual.

          There are two commands VER and NVER (Vantage Pro 2 only). I tried VER on my home Vantage Pro and get the response:

          OK
          Oct 25 2001

          Which gives you an idea how long I have had this weather station.
          I tried the NVER command which is supposed to work only on a Vantage Pro 2 and the response to this command on a Vantage Pro is either "no response" or a newline / LF response. No text string.

          I will let you know the responses from a Vantage Pro 2 console when back at work tomorrow.

          Paul KF4TTB

          > I'm mostly concerned with figuring out whether or not I can detect the
          > version automatically. Making it a configuration option will make it
          > more confusing and require more code space.
          >
          > Scott
          >
          > Paul Meyer wrote:
          > >

          > > Thanks Scott. It doesn't appear that it is something "difficult" to
          > > implement. Note the double quotes. Note that I did get the rare
          > > occasional weather packet reporting -- As the Davis documentation
          > > states, it may work intermittently.
          > >
          > > I'm more than willing to test as needed on the cabled Vantage Pro 2
          > > standard weatherlink serial module. I also have the wireless Davis VP2
          > > with the APRS Streaming module. Perhaps I could not get it to work
          > > before due to this serial modification and it had nothing to do with it
          > > being an APRS version of the weatherlink.

          > > Scott Miller <scott@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Good to know! I've got it on my to-do list now and I'll get back to you
          > > > with updated firmware when I've got something ready to test.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks,
          > > >
          > > > Scott

          > > weather

          > > website
          > > feed
          > > the

          > > Argent code.

        • Paul Meyer
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4, 2010
            Should have stated this earlier; I agree that it would be best to auto-detect the type of Davis station rather than add another mode option in the drop-down list.

            I have tested the Davis Vantage Pro 2 with a standard serial weatherlink module and the responses to the VER and NVER commands are as follows:

            VER
            OK
            Oct 26 2009
            NVER
            OK
            1.90

            So, with NVER on a Vantage Pro2 one gets the firmware revision. Recall, NVER does not work on the Vantage Pro., so perhaps NVER is the switch you can use. Look for the OK response from Vantage Pro2, NULL or Newline response comes from Vantage Pro.