Suspected Glitch in T2 Smart Beaconing Implementation at 0 MPH

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 29, 2010
      Scott - I wonder if you could comment

      I believe I have noticed a glitch in the T2 smart beaconing implementation that can be readily demonstrated by changing the Slow Speed setting from a non-zero value to 0. In both cases the end user would reasonably expect: Actual Beacon Rate = Slow Beacon Rate setting.

      However, what I have observed is that when the Slow Speed Setting = 0 the Beaconing Rate is no longer governed by the the Slow Beacon Rate setting, and can become very fast, e.g. a beacon is transmitted every few seconds.

      A possible fix would disallow 0 as a valid entry for the Slow Speed setting. A minimum setting of 2 MPH should work fine, (1 MPH is currently disallowed).

      Chris
      KF7FIR
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 29, 2010
        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <wellread1@...> wrote:

        > Scott - I wonder if you could comment
        >
        > I believe I have noticed a glitch in the T2 smart beaconing implementation that can be readily demonstrated by changing the Slow Speed setting from a non-zero value to 0. In both cases the end user would reasonably expect: Actual Beacon Rate = Slow Beacon Rate setting.
        >
        > However, what I have observed is that when the Slow Speed Setting = 0 the Beaconing Rate is no longer governed by the the Slow Beacon Rate setting, and can become very fast, e.g. a beacon is transmitted every few seconds.
        >
        > A possible fix would disallow 0 as a valid entry for the Slow Speed setting. A minimum setting of 2 MPH should work fine, (1 MPH is currently disallowed).
        >
        > Chris
        > KF7FIR

        The behavior described in this post applies to stationary objects ONLY.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 30, 2010
          Sorry for the slow response on this stuff - I've been swamped with
          paperwork, we just got ADS-SR1 boards in and we're trying to get those
          processed, and OT2m boards are due in today and will make things even
          more hectic.

          This is pretty much the expected behavior unless your GPS receiver is
          configured to have a dead band for low speeds. Your 'direction' will
          tend to flop all over the place. That's why there's a minimum speed for
          it to take effect. Same with the wind reporting on the weather firmware
          - below a certain speed the wind measurement is unreliable and chaotic
          and is discarded.

          Scott

          Chris wrote:

          > Scott - I wonder if you could comment
          >
          > I believe I have noticed a glitch in the T2 smart beaconing
          > implementation that can be readily demonstrated by changing the Slow
          > Speed setting from a non-zero value to 0. In both cases the end user
          > would reasonably expect: Actual Beacon Rate = Slow Beacon Rate setting.
          >
          > However, what I have observed is that when the Slow Speed Setting = 0
          > the Beaconing Rate is no longer governed by the the Slow Beacon Rate
          > setting, and can become very fast, e.g. a beacon is transmitted every
          > few seconds.
          >
          > A possible fix would disallow 0 as a valid entry for the Slow Speed
          > setting. A minimum setting of 2 MPH should work fine, (1 MPH is
          > currently disallowed).
          >
          > Chris
          > KF7FIR

        • Chris
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 30, 2010

            > Sorry for the slow response on this stuff - I've been swamped with
            > paperwork, we just got ADS-SR1 boards in and we're trying to get those
            > processed, and OT2m boards are due in today and will make things even
            > more hectic.
            >
            > This is pretty much the expected behavior unless your GPS receiver is
            > configured to have a dead band for low speeds. Your 'direction' will
            > tend to flop all over the place. That's why there's a minimum speed for
            > it to take effect. Same with the wind reporting on the weather firmware
            > - below a certain speed the wind measurement is unreliable and chaotic
            > and is discarded.
            >
            > Scott
            >
            > Chris wrote:
            > >

            > > Scott - I wonder if you could comment
            > >
            > > I believe I have noticed a glitch in the T2 smart beaconing
            > > implementation that can be readily demonstrated by changing the Slow
            > > Speed setting from a non-zero value to 0. In both cases the end user
            > > would reasonably expect: Actual Beacon Rate = Slow Beacon Rate setting.
            > >
            > > However, what I have observed is that when the Slow Speed Setting = 0
            > > the Beaconing Rate is no longer governed by the the Slow Beacon Rate
            > > setting, and can become very fast, e.g. a beacon is transmitted every
            > > few seconds.
            > >
            > > A possible fix would disallow 0 as a valid entry for the Slow Speed
            > > setting. A minimum setting of 2 MPH should work fine, (1 MPH is
            > > currently disallowed).
            > >
            > > Chris
            > > KF7FIR

            Scott,

            Thanks for your reply. You mention that there is minimum speed to activate the corner pegging. Is this minimum speed fixed in firmware or is is user configurable?

            If it is user configurable I presume that it is linked to the Low Speed Setting, but I can not find documentation confirming this. Also, if this is the case, there would be little value in allowing 0 as an entry because it effectively places the T2 into a high rate beacon generator mode. A user would have to be intimately familiar with the workings of the algorithm to avoid the pitfal of entering 0 if the consequence is not clearly explained documentation.

            Chris
            KF7FIR
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 30, 2010
              It's the low-speed setting. As a work-around, I could have the config
              program set it to 1 if the user selects 0.

              Scott

              Chris wrote:

              > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Sorry for the slow response on this stuff - I've been swamped with
              > > paperwork, we just got ADS-SR1 boards in and we're trying to get those
              > > processed, and OT2m boards are due in today and will make things even
              > > more hectic.
              > >
              > > This is pretty much the expected behavior unless your GPS receiver is
              > > configured to have a dead band for low speeds. Your 'direction' will
              > > tend to flop all over the place. That's why there's a minimum speed for
              > > it to take effect. Same with the wind reporting on the weather firmware
              > > - below a certain speed the wind measurement is unreliable and chaotic
              > > and is discarded.
              > >
              > > Scott
              > >
              > > Chris wrote:
              > > >

              > > > Scott - I wonder if you could comment
              > > >
              > > > I believe I have noticed a glitch in the T2 smart beaconing
              > > > implementation that can be readily demonstrated by changing the Slow
              > > > Speed setting from a non-zero value to 0. In both cases the end user
              > > > would reasonably expect: Actual Beacon Rate = Slow Beacon Rate setting.
              > > >
              > > > However, what I have observed is that when the Slow Speed Setting = 0
              > > > the Beaconing Rate is no longer governed by the the Slow Beacon Rate
              > > > setting, and can become very fast, e.g. a beacon is transmitted every
              > > > few seconds.
              > > >
              > > > A possible fix would disallow 0 as a valid entry for the Slow Speed
              > > > setting. A minimum setting of 2 MPH should work fine, (1 MPH is
              > > > currently disallowed).
              > > >
              > > > Chris
              > > > KF7FIR
              > > >

              > Scott,
              >
              > Thanks for your reply. You mention that there is minimum speed to
              > activate the corner pegging. Is this minimum speed fixed in firmware or
              > is is user configurable?
              >
              > If it is user configurable I presume that it is linked to the Low Speed
              > Setting, but I can not find documentation confirming this. Also, if this
              > is the case, there would be little value in allowing 0 as an entry
              > because it effectively places the T2 into a high rate beacon generator
              > mode. A user would have to be intimately familiar with the workings of
              > the algorithm to avoid the pitfal of entering 0 if the consequence is
              > not clearly explained documentation.
              >
              > Chris
              > KF7FIR

            • Chris
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 30, 2010

                > It's the low-speed setting. As a work-around, I could have the config
                > program set it to 1 if the user selects 0.
                >
                > Scott
                >
                > Chris wrote:

                > > Scott Miller <scott@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Sorry for the slow response on this stuff - I've been swamped with
                > > > paperwork, we just got ADS-SR1 boards in and we're trying to get those
                > > > processed, and OT2m boards are due in today and will make things even
                > > > more hectic.
                > > >
                > > > This is pretty much the expected behavior unless your GPS receiver is
                > > > configured to have a dead band for low speeds. Your 'direction' will
                > > > tend to flop all over the place. That's why there's a minimum speed for
                > > > it to take effect. Same with the wind reporting on the weather firmware
                > > > - below a certain speed the wind measurement is unreliable and chaotic
                > > > and is discarded.
                > > >
                > > > Scott

                > > Scott,
                > >
                > > Thanks for your reply. You mention that there is minimum speed to
                > > activate the corner pegging. Is this minimum speed fixed in firmware or
                > > is is user configurable?
                > >
                > > If it is user configurable I presume that it is linked to the Low Speed
                > > Setting, but I can not find documentation confirming this. Also, if this
                > > is the case, there would be little value in allowing 0 as an entry
                > > because it effectively places the T2 into a high rate beacon generator
                > > mode. A user would have to be intimately familiar with the workings of
                > > the algorithm to avoid the pitfal of entering 0 if the consequence is
                > > not clearly explained documentation.
                > >
                > > Chris
                > > KF7FIR

                Make sense to me, Not: Currently if a user enters 1 the program sets the value to 0.