Re: [tracker2] Garmin FMI waypoints revisited

  • Patrick
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 29, 2010
      Someone needs to start a swear jar for the ssid debate.

      Christopher don't be preachy, any ssid works just as well as any
      other, and the "standard" you quote was officially dropped years ago.

      Quoting "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@...>:

      > Sorry, but the leading zero would only make it different to the -IS, not
      > to RF. The SSID is transmitted in 4 bits in the AX.25 header which is
      > why AX.25-based APRS over RF is limited to -0 through -15.

      > Greenhalgh, Christopher K. wrote:
      >>

      >> -09? J
      >>
      >> 73,
      >>
      >> -Chris

    • Greenhalgh, Christopher K.
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 29, 2010

        Patrick,

        If you call me politely reminding people of a proper protocol as being “preachy”, fine, that doesn’t bother me.

        What does bother me, is folks like you who say “anything will do” and ignore a standard that (if everyone would embrace) would organize and streamline the reporting structure to its fullest potential.

        And Bob, WB4APR, who maintains the standard, last updated the document June 9th, 2010.

        And that’s all Im saying here…I dint mean to take this off-topic…if someone wants to comment further, please start a new thread.

        73,

        -Chris

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 29, 2010
          Bob Bruninga brought this back on the APRSSIG not long ago. I tried my
          best to keep my mouth shut. I'll set -11 on a balloon but that's as far
          as I go with the SSID convention, and just because I'm running -11
          doesn't mean it's a balloon. That's why we have symbols.

          Scott

          Patrick wrote:

          > Someone needs to start a swear jar for the ssid debate.
          >
          > Christopher don't be preachy, any ssid works just as well as any
          > other, and the "standard" you quote was officially dropped years ago.

          > Quoting "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@...
          > <mailto:ldeffenb%40homeside.to>>:
          >
          > > Sorry, but the leading zero would only make it different to the -IS, not
          > > to RF. The SSID is transmitted in 4 bits in the AX.25 header which is
          > > why AX.25-based APRS over RF is limited to -0 through -15.

          > > Greenhalgh, Christopher K. wrote:
          > >>

          > >> -09? J
          > >>
          > >> 73,
          > >>
          > >> -Chris