Re: [tracker2] Re: Nuvi 350 and OT2m not communicating

  • Frank Christ
    Message 1 of 51 , Jul 16, 2010
      While I'm waiting for a return email from Scott, Does anyone think that I could open up one of these GTRANS cables and convert into an FMI cable or is it more complex than that?

      Regards,

      -Frank C.

      On Jul 16, 2010, at 11:13 AM, Frank Christ wrote:

      Alright thanks to all!  The Nuvi has plenty of power from the cradle itself, when I remove the GPS from the cradle WITHOUT the GTRANS cable attached I get the "lost power" message. So apparently I had the right cable just not the right one for FMI. Time to get in touch with Scott.

      Thanks again!

      Regards,

      -Frank C.

      On Jul 16, 2010, at 5:27 AM, Randy Love wrote:

      Well, the GTRANS isn't just for the D700/D710/D7 ( as Frank has proven. :)

      Frank,

      If you don't want or need the messaging capability ( only available with the FMI activated ), then you can get by nicely with the GTRANS cable and Nuvi. Main things you will be missing are 2-way messaging and commanding of the OT2m via the Nuvi. It will, however, still display received stations on the map *IF* you enable waypoints by setting them on in the OT2m config program. The only problem with this is that all objects/stations/ whatever will show as an ambiguous dot on the maps, but will be tagged with the call/name received in the packets. They should show up in your Favorites list also.

      If you want all the goodies that the OT2m has to offer, you will need to get the other cables.
      The one that has 10813 in the Garmin part number. As a side note, if you decide you don't want the GTRANS cable, you shouldn't have any trouble selling them here on list or *sigh* EBay.

      73,
      Randy
      WF5X

      On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 8:06 AM, Patrick <winston@winston1. net> wrote:

      It is..  Though with the GTRANS cable, if you put your GPS port into Auto mode (or nema mode) you will have it work..  Do note however that the gps will not go into FMI mode with a GTRANS cable.

      On 7/16/2010 2:32 AM, Frank Christ wrote:
      I ate dinner, took the equipment out of the vehicle and hooked it up in my shack to a Pyramid PS-21KX power supply, put a fixed position on the thing and hooked up the antenna, then....Beacons away! So I have no clue what the "special" trick was to get it to work. Tomorrow I'm going to put it back in the vehicle and see if it still spits out beacons....

      Meanwhile, that link I posted earlier...That is indeed the correct cable?

      Regards,

      -Frank C.

      On Jul 15, 2010, at 11:26 PM, k7ybz wrote:

      Remember, whatever you learn could help someone in the future. Please share the wealth.

      Larry
      K7YBZ

      --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, "Frank C." <fchrist2@...> wrote:

      > Just a slight improvement tonight. The OT2m and radio finally worked and I got myself on the map with a fixed position about 2 hours North of me. A local ham gave me the idea.
      >
      > Now to get the Nüvi to play nice...
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > -Frank C.
      >
      > On Jul 15, 2010, at 19:53, Randy Love <rlove31@...> wrote:
      >
      > Well, Frank. donno what else either.
      >
      > You have tried powering the OT2m first, then the Nuvi, several times, powering off and back on each on every attempt, correct?
      > I seem to remember having to do that sequence so the the OT2m would sense the Nuvi and put it into FMI mode.
      >
      > I have 3 Nuvi/OT2m/T2- 135 combos. Aside from double checking the pinouts, don't know what else to tell you.
      >
      > Now, let's make sure of couple of things:
      >
      > 1) you are using the Garmin Data Cable for the Nuvi 350, the one with 00813 in the part number, correct?
      > 2) you are using an OT2m (external to the radio), not a T2-135 placed inside an Alinco DR-?35T, correct?
      >
      > If you answered no to 1, and you aren't using a Nuvi 350 ( or similar ), then you possibly have the wrong FMI cable.
      >
      > If you answered no to 2, then double check the wiring on the DB9 connector. Pins 2 and 3 are REVERSED between the T2-135 setup and the OT2m setup. In either case, you can easily reverse the pins to see if that fixes it by putting a null modem adapter between the OT2m and the Nuvi. If the pins are incorrectly wired, it won't hurt anything as they are low level data signals.
      >
      > Quickly running out of suggests, but having 2 bad FMI cables is very unlikely.
      >
      > Gotta finish a couple of other items here for an MS150 Bike event this weekend.
      >
      > 73,
      > Randy
      > WF5X
      >

      > On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 9:12 PM, Frank C. <fchrist2@...> wrote:
      >
      > Thanks. I have two cables from Scott and neither work. The radio keys up just fine but no transmitted signal from the OT2m
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > -Frank C.
      >
      > On Jul 15, 2010, at 16:22, "k7ybz" <k7ybz@...> wrote:
      >

      > Frank,
      >
      > Sorry, but I am out of idearrrsss. What I gave you is what I do to check my setups. I have four Nuvi 350/OT2 combos plus GTRANS cables for that occasional D710/NUVI combo, depending on what I need for those rushed support activities, like Cycle Oregon or some other in which I have to have a quick install in a 15 passenger rental van or the like. I am in the middle of getting things ready for an event this weekend.
      >
      > If you know someone in your neck of the woods who has a similar setup, you can try swapping equipment and cables until you find the answer. Otherwise have Scott at Argent Data take a look. Scott usually chimes in when he is not playing with ballons.

> [...]

    • Frank C.
      Message 51 of 51 , Jul 16, 2010
        Thinking about it, I have yet to see the busy light come on except when its transmitting my beacon.

        Fred thanks for the further info on the GTRANS cable.

        Regards,

        -Frank C.

        On Jul 16, 2010, at 13:54, "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

        Frank KG6NLW wrote...

        Even with the GTRANS cable I don't see anything in the favorites window.

        Assuming that you are hearing beacons and that they are being decoded...
        is WAYPOINTS turned ON? Also, what do you have in MAXRANGE?

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH