RE: [tracker2] Standalone APRS unit based on T2-301

  • Bob Burns W9RXR
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6 3:12 PM
      At 04:41 PM 7/6/2010, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
      >I am always skeptical of suction mounts myself. I would have a hard
      >time hanging some of value off a window.

      Those suction cups are about 4.5" in diameter and the handle with two
      cups is rated by the manufacturer to lift 200 lbs. I worry about
      them, too, but I have driven a vehicle with the tracker attached at
      highway speeds with no problems. I have considered adding a nylon web
      strap attached to the case that could be secured through a closed car
      window or door, but haven't pursued it. I think that as long as the
      suction cups are used on a smooth, clean surface such as glass or
      painted metal, that they should stick very well.

      > You use a BNC male to male extension to pass through the case, can
      > liquid pass through it? None of the BNC connectors I use are really
      > water resistant.

      Yes, that's possible. I originally wanted to use a BNC bulkhead
      adapter, but the ones I got at Dayton were too long. I'm open to other ideas.

      Bob...
    • Fred Hillhouse
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7 6:33 AM
        > >I am always skeptical of suction mounts myself. I would have a hard
        > >time hanging something of value off a window.

        > Those suction cups are about 4.5" in diameter and the handle with two
        > cups is rated by the manufacturer to lift 200 lbs. I worry about
        > them, too, but I have driven a vehicle with the tracker attached at
        > highway speeds with no problems. I have considered adding a nylon web
        > strap attached to the case that could be secured through a closed car
        > window or door, but haven't pursued it. I think that as long as the
        > suction cups are used on a smooth, clean surface such as glass or
        > painted metal, that they should stick very well.

        The strap would be good. It will add a bit of piece of mind. If it ever came
        off at highway speeds, it could hit the ground and bounce back up into or
        towards another vehicle. That outcome could be disastrous. I run a magnet
        mount and don't really like it but I figure is shouldn't go too far since it
        is attached at least by the coax. Not much security there but at least it
        offers some. I have had a previous antenna flop over and bounced the tip off
        the ground when traversing a gravel road. My goal is to get everything
        external to be part of the vehicle. Currently the only mag-mount is for my
        900MHz antenna which is small, at least it won't tip over. A sudden stop
        might be a problem though.

        I have a small piece of luggage that has a strap for attaching a briefcase
        of another bag to it for rolling around. The strap with the buckle might go
        around a luggage rack and suction device handle. The strap and buckles can
        be purchased at some outdoor stores. I use to buy them at Kirkham's in Salt
        Lake City when I lived there. I would then stitch everything together. Yep,
        I can sew too.

        > > You use a BNC male to male extension to pass through the case, can
        > > liquid pass through it? None of the BNC connectors I use are really
        > > water resistant.

        > Yes, that's possible. I originally wanted to use a BNC bulkhead
        > adapter, but the ones I got at Dayton were too long. I'm open to other
        ideas.

        I don't have any ideas yet but now I am on the hunt. I have been waffling
        about getting a T2-301 for doing basically the same thing. I want one but I
        have other items on my project list. I am slowly working on a GO-BOX which
        currently has higher priority. If they show up as in stock I may loss my
        self-control. Hmm, isn't self-control it's own reward?

        Thanks again for sharing!

        Best regards,
        Fred
      • captnkliegle
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 12 5:18 AM
          I'd be worried too about anything suction cupped to the outside of a moving vehicle! Suction cupped to the inside with a little 'Hearsy Kiss' type magmount antenna would keep everything dry, no worries about water intrusion. Plus, the antenna would be mounted vertical atop a good ground plane, vs a lossy rubber duck at an angle.

          I had to relocate my GPS for aircraft use, the AIO would lean against the side window... resting on a window sill. One small suction cup with a small hole on the attachment side for the antenna (non OEM) kept it against the window. The GPS unit would be looking at the horizon or lower. I removed it from the circuit board and mounted it 90 degrees to the circuit board, facing up. Plus, my case was a metal case so it had to be cut for the GPS antenna to 'see' the sky.

          See my photo's KA1GJU-6

          73 de Kriss