Standalone APRS unit based on T2-301

  • w9rxr
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3 3:17 PM
      I have posted an album of photos of my standalone tracker based on the Argent Data T2-301. Look in the Photos section of this forum for an album named "Standalone APRS unit based on T2-301".

      The parts used were:

      Argent Data T2-301
      Argent Data GT-525 GPS Receiver
      Pelican 1030 case
      8 AA cell battery pack from Batteryspace.com
      Energizer Lithium AA cells
      Suction cup handle from Grainger
      5/8 wave 2m rubber duck antenna from Smiley Antenna
      BNC male to male and female to female adapters
      DB-9 male connector
      Conduit clamp
      3/8" id rubber grommet

      I cut out part of the vinyl insert that comes with the Pelican case in order to clear the BNC adapter and GPS receiver. The rim of this insert needs to be left in place to maintain the gasket between the case and lid. The GPS receiver was hot-glued to the inside of the case. I drilled the hole for the BNC adapter with an Irwin step drill. Since the wall of the case is too thick for the groove on the grommet, the step drill let me make a counter-bored hole so the grommet would fit properly in the hole.

      The photo of the unit mounted on the vehicle shows the original orientation of the case to the handle. I found that the window of my Ford Expedition curves too much for the handle to sit flat, so I turned the handle 90 degrees in relation to the case.

      This unit was successfully used on the Indianapolis Tour de Cure bicycle ride earlier this month to keep track of one of the SAG vehicles. You can view the results at: http://aprs.fi/?call=TCSAG1-9

      If anyone has any questions or comments, fire away.

      Bob...
    • Fred Hillhouse
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6 1:41 PM
        Nice work!

        I am always skeptical of suction mounts myself. I would have a hard time hanging some of value off a window. You use a BNC male to male extension to pass through the case, can liquid pass through it? None of the BNC connectors I use are really water resistant.

        Thanks for sharing!
        Fred

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6 3:12 PM
          At 04:41 PM 7/6/2010, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
          >I am always skeptical of suction mounts myself. I would have a hard
          >time hanging some of value off a window.

          Those suction cups are about 4.5" in diameter and the handle with two
          cups is rated by the manufacturer to lift 200 lbs. I worry about
          them, too, but I have driven a vehicle with the tracker attached at
          highway speeds with no problems. I have considered adding a nylon web
          strap attached to the case that could be secured through a closed car
          window or door, but haven't pursued it. I think that as long as the
          suction cups are used on a smooth, clean surface such as glass or
          painted metal, that they should stick very well.

          > You use a BNC male to male extension to pass through the case, can
          > liquid pass through it? None of the BNC connectors I use are really
          > water resistant.

          Yes, that's possible. I originally wanted to use a BNC bulkhead
          adapter, but the ones I got at Dayton were too long. I'm open to other ideas.

          Bob...
        • Fred Hillhouse
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 7 6:33 AM
            > >I am always skeptical of suction mounts myself. I would have a hard
            > >time hanging something of value off a window.

            > Those suction cups are about 4.5" in diameter and the handle with two
            > cups is rated by the manufacturer to lift 200 lbs. I worry about
            > them, too, but I have driven a vehicle with the tracker attached at
            > highway speeds with no problems. I have considered adding a nylon web
            > strap attached to the case that could be secured through a closed car
            > window or door, but haven't pursued it. I think that as long as the
            > suction cups are used on a smooth, clean surface such as glass or
            > painted metal, that they should stick very well.

            The strap would be good. It will add a bit of piece of mind. If it ever came
            off at highway speeds, it could hit the ground and bounce back up into or
            towards another vehicle. That outcome could be disastrous. I run a magnet
            mount and don't really like it but I figure is shouldn't go too far since it
            is attached at least by the coax. Not much security there but at least it
            offers some. I have had a previous antenna flop over and bounced the tip off
            the ground when traversing a gravel road. My goal is to get everything
            external to be part of the vehicle. Currently the only mag-mount is for my
            900MHz antenna which is small, at least it won't tip over. A sudden stop
            might be a problem though.

            I have a small piece of luggage that has a strap for attaching a briefcase
            of another bag to it for rolling around. The strap with the buckle might go
            around a luggage rack and suction device handle. The strap and buckles can
            be purchased at some outdoor stores. I use to buy them at Kirkham's in Salt
            Lake City when I lived there. I would then stitch everything together. Yep,
            I can sew too.

            > > You use a BNC male to male extension to pass through the case, can
            > > liquid pass through it? None of the BNC connectors I use are really
            > > water resistant.

            > Yes, that's possible. I originally wanted to use a BNC bulkhead
            > adapter, but the ones I got at Dayton were too long. I'm open to other
            ideas.

            I don't have any ideas yet but now I am on the hunt. I have been waffling
            about getting a T2-301 for doing basically the same thing. I want one but I
            have other items on my project list. I am slowly working on a GO-BOX which
            currently has higher priority. If they show up as in stock I may loss my
            self-control. Hmm, isn't self-control it's own reward?

            Thanks again for sharing!

            Best regards,
            Fred
          • captnkliegle
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 12 5:18 AM
              I'd be worried too about anything suction cupped to the outside of a moving vehicle! Suction cupped to the inside with a little 'Hearsy Kiss' type magmount antenna would keep everything dry, no worries about water intrusion. Plus, the antenna would be mounted vertical atop a good ground plane, vs a lossy rubber duck at an angle.

              I had to relocate my GPS for aircraft use, the AIO would lean against the side window... resting on a window sill. One small suction cup with a small hole on the attachment side for the antenna (non OEM) kept it against the window. The GPS unit would be looking at the horizon or lower. I removed it from the circuit board and mounted it 90 degrees to the circuit board, facing up. Plus, my case was a metal case so it had to be cut for the GPS antenna to 'see' the sky.

              See my photo's KA1GJU-6

              73 de Kriss