Re: [tracker2] Re: [Balloon_Sked] N1VG-11 APRS Utilization

  • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 20, 2010
      Yes, the red lines are direct and the green lines are subsequent packet
      hops. Yes, balloon tracks are typically direct to IGates. In many
      instances, the only digi hops are actually delayed delivery packets or
      initial packet collisions. My operating theory is that if a single
      packet made a direct long hop, then nearly every nearby packet probably
      did the same thing, it just got gated first from a closer IGate.

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

      PS. Some of the Balloon_Sched folks really don't appreciate the finer
      points of APRS usage and are actively adverse to having discussions on
      their group.

      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 20, 2010
        I'll have to check why you didn't get my replies... maybe I set RETRIES
        to 0 or something silly like that. Looked like they were going out, though.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 20, 2010
          > That was a decent altitude! What was your payload mass? I guessed at
          > about 30,000 metres for burst.

          Around 350 grams. I posted some details here:

          http://n1vg.blogspot.com/2010/06/cuyama-balloon-launch.html

          > They still don't have anything planted there yet? The GoogleEarth
          > image is from Oct 21, 2009 showing it as a ploughed field.

          Yep, it was right where the track shows it going, not far from the end
          of the road in the ad hoc garbage dump.

          > I look forward to seeing some of the images captured.

          I can't seem to do much directly with the MPEG4 video, have to re-encode
          it before I can cut it down to some highlights. It's got a lot of
          spinning, though, and there's not much interesting stuff to see.

          Scott
        • Pete Lilja
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 21, 2010
            Scott,

            Do you have plans to create and sell a balloon radio?

            I, for one, would be interested in a lightweight package that has incorporated your well designed hardware.

            Pete
            KC0GPB
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 21, 2010
              Hi Pete,

              I'd put the board on the website now, but it relies on the SRB MX146LV
              transmitter, which is still having production problems. As soon as
              that's sorted out I'll be selling them.

              Scott

              Pete Lilja wrote:

              > Scott,
              >
              > Do you have plans to create and sell a balloon radio?
              >
              > I, for one, would be interested in a lightweight package that has
              > incorporated your well designed hardware.
              >
              > Pete
              > KC0GPB

            • Pete Lilja
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 21, 2010
                Very good.  I'll be watching for the addition to the website.

                I'm guessing these production problems have to drive you absolutely up the wall!  At least your products are worth the wait...

                Pete
                KC0GPB

                Pete Lilja wrote:

                > Scott,
                >
                > Do you have plans to create and sell a balloon radio?
                >
                > I, for one, would be interested in a lightweight package that has
                > incorporated your well designed hardware.
                >
                > Pete
                > KC0GPB

                <*> Your email settings:
                   Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                   (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                   tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
                   tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Jason KG4WSV
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 21, 2010
                  On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Pete Lilja <plilja@...> wrote:
                  Do you have plans to create and sell a balloon radio?

                  I've been using T2-301.  They work fine (unless you drop them in a lake).

                  I'm working on an arduino-based command and control interface to go with it.  So many projects, so little time...

                  -Jason
                  kg4wsv
                • Tom Hayward
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 21, 2010
                    > It's got a lot of spinning, though, and there's not much interesting stuff to see.

                    Off-topic question: does anyone use gyroscopes to stabilize balloon
                    cameras? Would a useful size be too heavy?

                    Tom KD7LXL
                  • Paul Finch
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 21, 2010
                      Tom,

                      There is someone on this group that uses long fiberglass poles to stabilize
                      the load. The video I saw is why I asked about it, he answered back and
                      told me about the poles. They are fairly light and work really well.

                      Paul