Re: [tracker2] Re: [Balloon_Sked] N1VG-11 APRS Utilization

    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 20, 2010
      > Hang on, maybe I have it figured out. When the chase vehicle gets
      > beyond the horizon of the balloon (ie. more than 400 km away), you
      > need a digipeater hop to help you hear it!

      =P

      > Our biggest issue is losing copy on the payload when it is near apogee
      > because our vertical antennas have a null overhead. The solution is to

      That's the main problem. The payload antenna also has a null off the
      bottom.

      Since I'm working with minimal ground crew (a 14-year old to work the
      phone and radios and a 10-year old to read out telemetry) I try to keep
      things as simple as possible. When we have things running smoothly
      enough to handle a second radio setup, I'll configure the payload for
      alternate frequency operation.

      We did learn some useful operational things today - like the fact that I
      can fill an 800-gram balloon from a Q size cylinder, which can be lugged
      short distances over rough terrain by one person. A K cylinder is
      *much* harder to handle if you need to move it away from the vehicle on
      soft ground, even with the dolly.

      I'd like to have some sort of radiosonde-style unreeling device to
      slowly extend the payload string to full length after it's a few hundred
      feet up. That'd make it easier to handle at launch. I'll have to do
      some research on how those things work.

      Scott
    • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 20, 2010
        Yes, the red lines are direct and the green lines are subsequent packet
        hops. Yes, balloon tracks are typically direct to IGates. In many
        instances, the only digi hops are actually delayed delivery packets or
        initial packet collisions. My operating theory is that if a single
        packet made a direct long hop, then nearly every nearby packet probably
        did the same thing, it just got gated first from a closer IGate.

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

        PS. Some of the Balloon_Sched folks really don't appreciate the finer
        points of APRS usage and are actively adverse to having discussions on
        their group.

        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 20, 2010
          I'll have to check why you didn't get my replies... maybe I set RETRIES
          to 0 or something silly like that. Looked like they were going out, though.

          Scott

          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 20, 2010
            > That was a decent altitude! What was your payload mass? I guessed at
            > about 30,000 metres for burst.

            Around 350 grams. I posted some details here:

            http://n1vg.blogspot.com/2010/06/cuyama-balloon-launch.html

            > They still don't have anything planted there yet? The GoogleEarth
            > image is from Oct 21, 2009 showing it as a ploughed field.

            Yep, it was right where the track shows it going, not far from the end
            of the road in the ad hoc garbage dump.

            > I look forward to seeing some of the images captured.

            I can't seem to do much directly with the MPEG4 video, have to re-encode
            it before I can cut it down to some highlights. It's got a lot of
            spinning, though, and there's not much interesting stuff to see.

            Scott
          • Pete Lilja
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 21, 2010
              Scott,

              Do you have plans to create and sell a balloon radio?

              I, for one, would be interested in a lightweight package that has incorporated your well designed hardware.

              Pete
              KC0GPB
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 21, 2010
                Hi Pete,

                I'd put the board on the website now, but it relies on the SRB MX146LV
                transmitter, which is still having production problems. As soon as
                that's sorted out I'll be selling them.

                Scott

                Pete Lilja wrote:

                > Scott,
                >
                > Do you have plans to create and sell a balloon radio?
                >
                > I, for one, would be interested in a lightweight package that has
                > incorporated your well designed hardware.
                >
                > Pete
                > KC0GPB

              • Pete Lilja
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 21, 2010
                  Very good.  I'll be watching for the addition to the website.

                  I'm guessing these production problems have to drive you absolutely up the wall!  At least your products are worth the wait...

                  Pete
                  KC0GPB

                  Pete Lilja wrote:

                  > Scott,
                  >
                  > Do you have plans to create and sell a balloon radio?
                  >
                  > I, for one, would be interested in a lightweight package that has
                  > incorporated your well designed hardware.
                  >
                  > Pete
                  > KC0GPB

                  <*> Your email settings:
                     Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                     (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                     tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
                     tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Jason KG4WSV
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 21, 2010
                    On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Pete Lilja <plilja@...> wrote:
                    Do you have plans to create and sell a balloon radio?

                    I've been using T2-301.  They work fine (unless you drop them in a lake).

                    I'm working on an arduino-based command and control interface to go with it.  So many projects, so little time...

                    -Jason
                    kg4wsv
                  • Tom Hayward
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 21, 2010
                      > It's got a lot of spinning, though, and there's not much interesting stuff to see.

                      Off-topic question: does anyone use gyroscopes to stabilize balloon
                      cameras? Would a useful size be too heavy?

                      Tom KD7LXL
                    • Paul Finch
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 21, 2010
                        Tom,

                        There is someone on this group that uses long fiberglass poles to stabilize
                        the load. The video I saw is why I asked about it, he answered back and
                        told me about the poles. They are fairly light and work really well.

                        Paul