OT2m v2 DIGI overrun?

  • Mike Zwingl oe3mzc
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 20, 2010
      We have an OT2m Version2 on a mountain with heavy APRS traffic
      and observe the following severe misbehavior:
      the tracker2 decoded several packets, but because qrg is busy, it will not be able to digipeat immediately..
      after some time (15-45sec) it will transmit undecodable bursts or packets for several long seconds and clutter the qrg for more than 30 sec...
      It seems to us, that the ot2m- now with better decoder than befor-- runs into some buffer overrun and does a reset periodically...

      any solution or hints would be appreciated, since we cannot use the OT2m as a DIGI with this problem persisting.
      hw?
      tnx
      vy 73 de Mike
      oe3mzc

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 20, 2010
        Hi Mike,

        After it does this, can you try an INFO command and send me the counts
        for the OVF counters? Would be useful to know what (if anything) is
        overflowing, or if there's something else going on.

        DUMP output would be even better, but you can't do that remotely.

        Scott

        Mike Zwingl oe3mzc wrote:

        > We have an OT2m Version2 on a mountain with heavy APRS traffic
        > and observe the following severe misbehavior:
        > the tracker2 decoded several packets, but because qrg is busy, it will
        > not be able to digipeat immediately..
        > after some time (15-45sec) it will transmit undecodable bursts or
        > packets for several long seconds and clutter the qrg for more than 30 sec...
        > It seems to us, that the ot2m- now with better decoder than befor-- runs
        > into some buffer overrun and does a reset periodically...
        >
        > any solution or hints would be appreciated, since we cannot use the OT2m
        > as a DIGI with this problem persisting.
        > hw?
        > tnx
        > vy 73 de Mike
        > oe3mzc

      • Charly
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 20, 2010
          Hello @ ALL !

          This problem is easy to see ->

          When you set a beacon interval of 1800 and traffic is less on the Mountain beacon comes all ~ 10 mins. If heavy " from work to Home " traffic is on QRG than it happen that Beacon comes all 1-2 mins and that is too often ... from time to time OT2M hangs in sending und transmit a fix high tone with some click between for 30sek. to 1 min and than start working again ...

          if i set Beacon interval to 0 than digi made his job ( with his problem still exist but not see to the Users ) but stop working after some 120-360 Mins. than only a remote OFF-ON switch helps working again until its stops dep. on the traffic ...

          @ OE3MZC the Buffer overrun can be the problem -> tks !

          73! Charly OE3KLU
          www.digisysop.at
        • Christian
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 14, 2010
            Dear Scott,

            two days ago I have installed the latest available firmware Sept2, 2009 at the Bratislava digipeater OM3KII-2. Since then I had to observe pretty similar issues like Mike previously described.

            OM3KII-2 uses the "old" OT2 hardware version and we are planning to install two more OT2 digipeaters on exposed, hard accessible high altitude locations in Slovakia this summer - in case we might able to fix those bugs.

            Is there any chance to receive the old firmware again: The one we used when OM3KII was installed in June 2009, as without any changes since then and no technical problems it worked great so far.

            Many thanks for your advise!

            Christian OE1CWJ / OM9AWJ
            oe1cwj <at> gmx.at