My OT2 thinks it's a weather station

  • Graham
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 15, 2010
      Scott:

      A couple of weeks ago when checking for weather stations near my WS1 (VE6GW-4, I noticed that the OT2m in my vehicle (VE6GW) was registering as a weather station recording wind speeds like 406km/hour! It seems that occasional packets (once every few days) get corrupted and somehow appear as weather packets.

      Example raw packets are given below for a day or so ago.

      2010-06-14 11:30:04 UTC: VE6GW>APOT21,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,VA6KRM-10:/141130z5330.80N/11332.00Wk000/000/A=002269 12.3V 16C
      2010-06-14 11:30:04 UTC: VE6GW>APOT21,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,VA6KRM-10:!5330.80N/11332.00W_511/63897g819t2801p53392h81b52058T2WX
      2010-06-14 12:00:05 UTC: VE6GW>APOT21,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,VA6KRM-10:>OT2D-2

      Is there possibly some interference between my WS1 and the OT2m, or is there a possible quirk in the OT2m? I have reloaded OT2 firmware and changed settings several times since I used the unit as a digipeater at the Banff Jasper Relay a week ago (more on some other issues I found later).

      The WS1 has been functioning outside on my garage roof since 1 April, and my OT2m on the vehicle in the garage beacons when parked, but I had not noticed this phenomena prior to mid May.

      Graham VE6GW
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 15, 2010
        Hi Graham,

        It shouldn't be related to the WS1. What are the port modes set to, and
        what is the unit connected to?

        Scott

        Graham wrote:

        > Scott:
        >
        > A couple of weeks ago when checking for weather stations near my WS1
        > (VE6GW-4, I noticed that the OT2m in my vehicle (VE6GW) was registering
        > as a weather station recording wind speeds like 406km/hour! It seems
        > that occasional packets (once every few days) get corrupted and somehow
        > appear as weather packets.
        >
        > Example raw packets are given below for a day or so ago.
        >
        > 2010-06-14 11:30:04 UTC:
        > VE6GW>APOT21,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,VA6KRM-10:/141130z5330.80N/11332.00Wk000/000/A=002269
        > 12.3V 16C
        > 2010-06-14 11:30:04 UTC:
        > VE6GW>APOT21,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,VA6KRM-10:!5330.80N/11332.00W_511/63897g819t2801p53392h81b52058T2WX
        > 2010-06-14 12:00:05 UTC: VE6GW>APOT21,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,VA6KRM-10:>OT2D-2
        >
        > Is there possibly some interference between my WS1 and the OT2m, or is
        > there a possible quirk in the OT2m? I have reloaded OT2 firmware and
        > changed settings several times since I used the unit as a digipeater at
        > the Banff Jasper Relay a week ago (more on some other issues I found
        > later).
        >
        > The WS1 has been functioning outside on my garage roof since 1 April,
        > and my OT2m on the vehicle in the garage beacons when parked, but I had
        > not noticed this phenomena prior to mid May.
        >
        > Graham VE6GW

      • Graham
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 16, 2010
          Port A is connected to one of the Deluo SiRF heads and set to Auto and Port B is connected to a Nuvi350 and set to Garmin mode. When parked the Nuvi is not on, but the OT2 is and does beacon every 30 minutes. Radio is a Yaesu 411, although I also use a 301 at times.

          I just recalled one thing. About the same time (last month) I added a 2x20 LCD display on the dash via a 2 ft long ribbon cable to the OT2m. This is on even when parked. I have been using 4x20 LCD displays in the house connected to other OT2's since last year, and had not noticed anything happening; although for the most part the OT2's were monitoring and not sending out beacons. I use the 2x20 in the vehicle since the other ones are too large - also the most relevant data is in first two lines.

          Is there any possiblity that spurious signals are being picked up by the ribbon cable and somehow being fed back through the MONO8 connector and being interpreted as telemetry?

          This is not all that serious since only very few packets get corrupted, but is kind of interesting and I wondered if anyone else had similar occurances. I will try it with and without the LCD cabling and see if that might be the culprit.

          Graham VE6GW

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 17, 2010
            It should only be serial data on a port set to AUTO mode that'd appear
            as weather data. It'd be useful to see a DUMP output from it after it's
            sent a bad weather packet.

            Scott

            Graham wrote:

> [...]
            >
            > > > 12.3V 16C
            > > > 2010-06-14 11:30:04 UTC:
            > > >
            > VE6GW>APOT21,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,VA6KRM-10:!5330.80N/11332.00W_511/63897g819t2801p53392h81b52058T2WX
            > > > 2010-06-14 12:00:05 UTC:
            > VE6GW>APOT21,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,VA6KRM-10:>OT2D-2
            > > >
            > > > Is there possibly some interference between my WS1 and the OT2m, or is
            > > > there a possible quirk in the OT2m? I have reloaded OT2 firmware and
            > > > changed settings several times since I used the unit as a
            > digipeater at
            > > > the Banff Jasper Relay a week ago (more on some other issues I found
            > > > later).
            > > >
            > > > The WS1 has been functioning outside on my garage roof since 1 April,
            > > > and my OT2m on the vehicle in the garage beacons when parked, but I
            > had
            > > > not noticed this phenomena prior to mid May.

          • Graham
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6 12:59 PM
              Scott:

              The problem seems to stem from the ribbon cable I used to connect to the LCD display. I had used an 16 conductor ribbon cable connected to the Mono8 header. The ribbon cable goes out the back of the OT2 between the top and back plates and has about 3 inches hanging outside before it has 8 of the conductors soldered to a 2x5 pin header. The LCD is connected by 10 conductor ribbon cable.

              Even without the LCD ribbon cable connected the OT2 was giving incorrect readings once or twice a day. I then separated the 8 unused conductors in the ribbon cable and cut them off close to the Mono8 header. It has been working fine for last couple of weeks now even with the LCD ribbon cable connected.

              It would appear that the unused conductors were picking up spurious signals. Cars are noisy environments. Lesson learnt!