RE: [tracker2] Can't connect to T2-301 using OTWINCFG [1 Attachment]

  • Fred Hillhouse
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 11, 2010
    This is unsolicited but It may be useful to someone.

    I use PORTB for the GPS all the time. I haven't found any reason not to since I always reserve PORTA for the PC/Laptop/PDA. [Yep, I do use a PDA at times.] Except maybe that I could plug a serial GPS directly into a T2. I configured PORTA as AUTO and PORTB for the GPS. In my case, PORTB = Garmin. Someday I may revisit my thinking but this is not the day.

    I have a Garmin GPS V that uses the connector shown. I have a cable that allows serial communications as well as power. The T2-301/GPS would make for a simple tracker.

    Enjoy!

    Best regards,
    Fred

    Message 2 of 16 , Jun 13, 2010
      At 02:17 PM 6/11/2010, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

      >This is unsolicited but It may be useful to someone.

      Yes, it is. I've been pondering how to wire my T2-301, so thanks for
      the drawings. They confirmed some things that I have done and/or considered.

      >I use PORTB for the GPS all the time. I haven't found any reason not
      >to since I always reserve PORTA for the PC/Laptop/PDA.

      So, PORT A and PORT B on the T2-301 are interchangeable to the point
      that either port could be the GPS port and either port could be the PC port?

      Bob...
    • Fred Hillhouse
      Message 3 of 16 , Jun 14, 2010

        Message 4 of 16 , Jun 14, 2010
          Hmm, my first response was not added. Oh well.

          The GPS can connect to either port. To the best of my knowledge, the ports are interchangeable with the exception of using OTWINCFG.

          Best regards,
          Fred

          Message 5 of 16 , Jun 14, 2010
            The command console also exists only on port A.

            Scott

            Fred Hillhouse wrote:

            > Hmm, my first response was not added. Oh well.
            >
            > The GPS can connect to either port. To the best of my knowledge,
            > the ports are interchangeable with the exception of using OTWINCFG.
            >
            > Best regards,
            > Fred

          • Nic McLean
            Message 6 of 16 , Jun 14, 2010
              Thanks Fred and Keith,

              I have straightened up pins 2 & 3 on my connector to the serial to USB
              adapter and still can't connect. Maybe I received a faulty unit.

              Best 73's

              Nic

              VK2KXN / VK5ZAT

              I use PORTB for the GPS all the time. I haven't found any reason not to since I always reserve PORTA for the PC/Laptop/PDA. [Yep, I do use a PDA at times.] Except maybe that I could plug a serial GPS directly into a T2. I configured PORTA as AUTO and PORTB for the GPS. In my case, PORTB = Garmin.
              Someday I may revisit my thinking but this is not the day.

              I have a Garmin GPS V that uses the connector shown. I have a cable that allows serial communications as well as power. The T2-301/GPS would make for a simple tracker.

              Enjoy!

              Best regards,
              Fred
            • Keith VE7GDH
              Message 7 of 16 , Jun 15, 2010
                Nic VK2KXN wrote...

                > I have straightened up pins 2 & 3 on my connector to the serial to
                > USB adapter and still can't connect. Maybe I received a faulty unit.

                Possibly, but let's start at the beginning. Is there anything that you
                can talk to with the USB to serial adapter? Do you or a friend have
                a computer with a real RS-232 port? Have you verified the supply
                voltage to the T2-301?

                73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
              • gsdatplace
                Message 8 of 16 , Jun 15, 2010
                  Additionally with regards to the USB Adapter, what COM port is it assigned to?
                  Even though the OTWINCFG has COM selections above 10, I've never been able to connect to my OT2's with anything higher than 9, COM ports higher than 10 throw a immediate error.

                  Garrett
                  VE6RKY

                  > Nic VK2KXN wrote...
                  >
                  > > I have straightened up pins 2 & 3 on my connector to the serial to
                  > > USB adapter and still can't connect. Maybe I received a faulty unit.
                  >
                  > Possibly, but let's start at the beginning. Is there anything that you
                  > can talk to with the USB to serial adapter? Do you or a friend have
                  > a computer with a real RS-232 port? Have you verified the supply
                  > voltage to the T2-301?
                  >
                  > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                • Nic McLean

                    Message 10 of 16 , Jun 15, 2010
                      Thanks Keith,

                      The Belkin USB to serial adapter works faultlessly with other serial comms programs.

                      I do have a laptop with real RS232 I will give it a try.
                      The supply voltage is 13.8 volts from a regulated bench supply.

                      Best 73's

                      Nic
                      VK2KXN / VK5ZAT